A technical question, I suppose.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I was just curious if any of you know roughly how much liquid the average adult-sized diaper (disposable, not cloth) will absorb before becoming saturated. I don’t mean from “flash-flooding”, but more of a slow and steady wetting (or if you’ve been measuring, I guess it would be a simulated wetting.)

And before anybody asks, I don’t know why I wonder about this. My brain is just weird some days. :smiley:

Re: A technical question, I suppose.

On average? Around a liter and a half.

Assuming the chemical makeup of your urine is normal, yeah 1.5 liters is a good average. If it’s messed up like mine is, you can generally expect less.

Also, as the guy who has to fix server issues can I ask that you please use descriptive subject lines? I initially clicked on this because I thought it was going to be about something related to the board software :slight_smile:

There is a really good page that has all the information you are looking for at xpmedical. They have done a LOT of testing on the standard brand of diaper.

This would be an excellent thread for posting general technical questions without having to start 100 new threads (and I’m sorry Gummybear for hijacking)

But I’ve always wondered in an Adult Nursery situation presumably there are changing tables how are they used for an adult without the table collapsing under the weight of the subject? Presumably I would have to ask someone with more experience in these matters are they reenforced in some way?

It’s a small matter of appropriate engineering. Yes, they would just be built with larger and hence stronger members in appropriate places, with some minor redesigning to accommodate. As for the fold down variety seen in restrooms, I would guess most of them are probably designed not to actually collapse if abused by someone leaning/sitting on them in part to reduce lawsuit risk from a “table” collapsing with a baby on it. That said, I would be a bit wary of actually trusting that.

You could waste a diaper or two experimenting with this.
Take a measuring cup in ounces or fractions of liters and proceed to apply water to the diaper containment area.
In experimenting the diaper will hold a small amount more than if stressed by wearing.
Put the same type of diaper on and cover with a plastic or other diaper cover and then take measured amounts
of fluid and dump inside the diaper. You will get less fluid absorbing because when wearing the fluid settles in the
bottom of the diaper fold (crotch) and any movement at all will naturally squeeze out that fluid into the outer diaper
cover containment area until it too is full and the fluid escapes.
With some disposable diapers the fluid containment material turns to white cellulose mush and makes a real mess
if not contained inside the diaper. Wearing multiple diapers just makes the mess much bigger and harder to control.
I have destroyed several diapers this way - at best somewhere past 40 ounces of liquid and you can not wear a single
diaper any longer without losing the fluid contents outside the diaper and its cover and this just standing up - sitting
make matters even worse. Splashing a full 32 ounce bottle of water into the diaper leads to the almost instant leakage
into the diaper cover. If left to gradually fill with a small hose (simulating the penis) I have achieved almost 40 ounces
of fluid containment but moving about displaces it almost immediately into the diaper cover. Experiment over !
Something to note the upper (top) portion of the diaper will be dry for awhile until the fluid eventually seeps into that
space but by that time the bottom of the diaper is so badly saturated that it is tugging to be removed and the baby elephant
walk WADDLE is so exaggerated it is silly ! A further note do not let the cellulose material escape into a drain or toilet - too
much and a jam or backup could occur requiring expensive plumbing services ! It is best suited for as land fill material.

As for the changing stations - if used in a hospital or rest/care home I am guessing that they are designed to accommodate
a full weight adult - but in a commercial application like a mall don’t push your weight around here and have an accident that
would be embarrassing to explain.

Now where is that guy with these very weird wired activities done best in idle time - you are not the only one ?

“And before anybody asks, I don’t know why I wonder about this. My brain is just weird some days”!

Now here is where you messed up. You need to put blue food coloring in the water before you pour it in the diaper. Don’t you watch TV commercials?

They already tested this on XP Medical
http://www.xpmedical.com/dtest.html

They didn’t test every brand out there, just the ones they were carrying at that time. Some of those they don’t even carry anymore…