If you want to have your account removed please make sure you read this post in full.
As a general rule we will only accept account deletion requests in the following circumstances as this is by its very nature a destructive and non-reversible procedure.
- Automatically 60 days after registration if the account has zero posts and is still at trust level 0. As it literally takes only a few minutes to get to trust level 1 these types of deletions are rare for new accounts. If your account was registered prior to May 31st, 2020 your account may be purged at any time if still meets the trust level 0 and 0 posts requirements.
- If you have no posts but your account is more than 3 days old (Accounts under 3 days old can self-delete here if they have 0 posts.) Your account must also have no flags or official warnings against it.
- If you wish to leave the community and need your information protected. Your account data will be anonymized and except where anonymization isn’t possible due to personal information in the posts, all posts will be preserved but will be owned by a username in the format anon123456. We will remove posts with personal information in them. This an exception to our general thread deletion policy.
- We are required to by law or court order. We will make a best effort attempt to remove all relevant information using the previously mentioned procedure and all posts will be purged.
- You simply no longer wish to have an account here. We get it, sometimes you really just don’t want an account any longer and we understand. While we’d prefer you to keep your account in case you choose to return later, if you really want it gone, we will delete it unless your account falls into one of the categories below
- You fail to follow the steps outlined below
- Suspended Accounts (see notes below)
- Silenced Accounts (see notes below)
- Accounts we’re required to keep for legal/court ordered reasons (and yes, there are at least 3 such accounts on the forums right now)
Send a PM to @support with the subject line Account Removal. You may, as an alternative, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email address. Please include the reason for requesting deletion in the body of the message.
A staff member will reply to your request to confirm it. Please respond within 48 hours. If you do not respond within 48 hours we will assume you have changed your mind. If you have indeed changed your mind after submitting a request, please let us know as soon as possible. We fail-safe because the removal process cannot be reversed.
Occasionally we may request additional confirmation by sending you an email to an alternative email if you have provided one. We do not use social login provided emails for this except if they are also your primary address and you contacted us from one of your non-primary addresses.
Suspended/Silenced accounts will be removed when required for legal compliance.
Requests not submitted to the @support group or support email will be deemed invalid and automatically rejected with the following exception: For historical reasons we will accept requests to the deprecated email@example.com address, but these take much longer to process.