Dawn Of The Diapered: Part Three: Chapter One

~MINI COMMENTARY~

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a good holiday season, hopefully your travels and family visits weren’t too taxing. :slight_smile: I’ve finally gotten around to adding to this and visiting the forum after a little break, I have a fresh outlook and some good ideas jangling around in my noodle.

The hardest part of writing for me is when I take a break from something and then try and come back to it. I absolutely refuse to read my own writing because everything I commit to paper looks hackneyed and stilted despite the best of reviews from friends and others that read the same thing. So when I come back to a story after a break I have to sift through my writings to try and find little detail that was written earlier but, for the life of me, I can’t seem to recall.

I feel I’ve done a pretty good job on this chapter. First chapters in a new part are always hard for me to write, especially with this story because the previous part was so “up” and then to come back to the “down” is hard for me to keep the pacing. I’ll get back into the proper swing by the next chapter and then everything will be back on track.

I hate posting links to previous entries of my story because I feel like a school teacher giving out a required reading assignment or something. But, if you’re like me and something shiny automatically erases all memory of what you were doing, then:

P1 C1: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1728.html
P1 C2: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1739.html
P1 C3: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1742.html
P1 C4: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1764.html
P1 C5: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1767.html
P1 C6: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1791.html

P2 C1: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1810.html
P2 C2: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1814.html
P2 C3: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1825.html
P2 C4: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1879.html
P2 C5: http://abdlstoryforum.myfastforum.org/about1891.html

So those are the links to the story thus far. As usual, if you have any comments, good or bad, please leave them. :smiley:

Knight

~END MINI COMMENTARY~

Dawn of the Diapered: An Invasion of the Adulthood Snatchers Story
By: Dementia’s Knight

Part III: Miles to Go Before We Sleep
Chapter I: Taking To the Streets

Tanya and Fidel pulled Douglas further into the shop and propped him up against the base of the counter. The barrel chested black man’s head hung down, a thin drizzle of blood leaking from his split lip.

“Douglas, wake up!” Tanya shouted as she knelt down in front of her neighbor.

Fidel dug into the first aid kit and pulled out some smelling salts. With a sharp pop the tiny capsules opened and were moved under Douglas’ nose. Within seconds the large man woke up, raising his head suddenly, his hand darting to the empty holster at his waist. After a second he was able to assess his surroundings and found that he was no longer under attack by a rabid group of disheveled wanderers, but rather he was safe behind a metal security gate with two people that were sane like he was.

“Thanks for saving my ass back there.” Douglas told Fidel as he took a towel wrapped ice pack from him and pressed it to his already swelling lower lip.

Fidel nodded. “No trouble at all friend.” He said as he pulled the necessary items for stitching Douglas up out of the medical kit and set them aside.

Tanya stood up from her squatted position in front of her neighbor and sighed. “I’ll be right back.” She said before she hurriedly made her way back to the restroom. She grimaced as she closed and locked the bathroom door behind her; she saw the broken toilet and remembered the events that had caused the bowl to become the wrecked and useless heap that it was now. The tile on the floor was a grisly mixture of blue toilet bowl water and blood that, under normal circumstances, would cause her to turn and run from the sight of it, but given all the horrible things she’d seen over the past few hours she was finding it increasingly harder to be shocked by the sight of blood.

Making her way to the sink Tanya turned the cold water on and cupped her hands underneath the cool liquid. The water pooled in her hands for a moment and she stared at it as it rippled and seeped out slowly through the small gaps between her fingers and hands before she lowered her face to it and let it wash over her warmed skin. She repeated the process several times before she shut off the water and looked up at her reflection in the mirror. Her brunette hair was mussed beyond any point that she’d ever allowed before, she looked tired even to herself from the lack of makeup and beauty products on her face, and her clothes were dirty and torn from her scuffle outside. She knew she looked like some kind of homeless wretch, and she hated herself for actually taking time to pick out her imperfections while the world was falling apart around her.

Despite her internal chiding, Tanya still took a moment to fix her hair a bit and straighten her clothes so that she wasn’t a complete wreck. Before she left the restroom she eyed the bucket under the sink with disdain, she thought back to Fidel’s explanation of the bucket being the new toilet since the regular one was demolished beyond use. She felt a slight twinge in her bladder but just refused to allow herself to urinate in a bucket.

“Everything alright?” Fidel asked as Tanya came back to the front of the shop.

Tanya nodded and went back to her task of attending to Douglas’ wounds. “Your lip looks pretty bad, you’re gonna need stitches.” She told him as she pulled the ice pack away from the injured area.

“I’ve got all the stuff to do it.” Fidel said as he held a few items up to illustrate his point. “I was a medic in the army, I can do it with a minimal amount of pain.” He offered with a forced smile.

Douglas shook his head. “No time, I have to get back out there and find my daughter.” He said, shooting an icy glare toward Tanya.

“Douglas, I’m sorry about Sarah, I can’t tell you how sorry I am, but you can’t go out there with those things running around all over town with an open wound.” She said as she gently took his hand in hers to try and assuage his pain and anger.

Pulling his hand away quickly Douglas looked as though he was about to hit Tanya for a moment. “I wouldn’t have to go out there at all if you were any kind of reliable guardian.” He spat.

Tanya felt like she had been slapped in the face after Douglas’ words left his mouth. “What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!” she shouted as she quickly got up and folded her arms in front of her defensively.

Douglas got up from the floor with a groan and went to the defensive woman. “Well, how many kids have you lost track of in the past few hours?” he asked caustically.

Tanya slapped him across the face so fast that it surprised everyone in the room including her. “You bastard.” She said, barely able to maintain her composure long enough to say the words before she stormed off to the bathroom.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

“Y’know, it may be none of my business, but that was pretty harsh.” Fidel said as he worked on stitching Douglas’ lip up.

Douglas, unable to coherently defend his actions sighed and nodded slowly in response.

“Seems to me that Tanya has lost just as much as you today and she’s doing everything she can to hold herself together. The last thing she needs is her friend turning on her and making her feel even worse than she already does.” Fidel said as he finished his job and snipped the thread and began putting his tools away.

Douglas nodded. “I know. I’ve never really been good with my temper, especially when my daughter’s wellbeing is at stake. But Tanya is a good person, and I know she couldn’t help what happened to Sarah.” He said.

Fidel smiled and placed a hand on Douglas’ shoulder. “Maybe I’m not the one you need to be saying this to.” He said.

“Yeah.” Douglas said before he slid off the counter and headed to the bathroom door to talk to Tanya.

Tanya heard footsteps approaching from her position on the floor with her back against the bathroom door. She sat with her knees up to her chin and huddled closer into herself as the footsteps stopped just outside the door.

“Tanya, I’m sorry about what I said, I didn’t mean it.” Douglas told her through the heavy metal door.

“Go away.” Tanya said quietly, renewed tears cascading down her flushed cheeks.

Douglas put his hand on the doorknob and turned it slightly before it locked up and denied him entry. “Please Tanya, we need to get out there and find our kids.” He told her.

For a long while no sound came from within the bathroom, and Douglas turned to walk away when he heard the lock pop open behind him and the door open slowly. He turned and saw Tanya looking forlornly at him; much like a scolded child would when they wanted to be hugged after something bad had happened. “I’m sorry I slapped you.” She said quietly.

Douglas smiled and held his arms open for her to come to him and receive a hug which she promptly did. “I deserved it.” He whispered to her. “It’s not your fault that Sarah got infected, I just need to find her and hold her even if it’s the last time I’ll ever be able to do it again.” He told her

Tanya hugged him as tight as she could considering she couldn’t get her arms around him entirely. “We should get going pretty soon.” She said with a sigh as the hug ended.

Douglas nodded. “Hey Fidel, you got a back way out of this place?” he asked.

“Sure do, but it leads into the alley and opens up near the end of the shopping center.” Fidel explained.

Douglas thought for a second. “What about a roof hatch?” he asked.

Fidel nodded. “We could get on the roof and snipe whatever’s still out there before we go out the front door.” He said.

“Sounds like we got ourselves a plan then.” Douglas said with a smile as they went to gather up supplies for their journey to the chaotic outside world.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

The roof hatch opened a few minutes later and Fidel led the others out onto the heavily patched roof. Douglas hoisted a large bag ahead of him and set it down before he followed. Making their way to the front edge of the roof and looked down at the small parking lot below.

Half a dozen of the violent citizens that had attacked them earlier were still in front of the front entrance rattling the security gate to get at the people they believed were still inside. Blood was spilling over the small curb out front of the store and pooling in the gutter as bare feet shifted over broken glass and hands and arms worked over exposed shards without care. The sound coming from the group of unfortunate souls was as horrendous as the sight of them, a cacophony of groans and angered grunts reaching a crescendo with various pitches of screams.

“Why are they so aggressive? The other people I’ve seen are docile and childlike.” Tanya commented as she watched the writhing mob below.

Douglas shrugged, he didn’t know if Tanya was honestly looking for an answer or if she was simply thinking aloud. “I don’t know, but I definitely think avoiding them is the best thing we can do.” He told her.

The tangle of limbs and bodies moved somewhat cohesively despite the tightness of the cluster of people. The entire time that the trio observed them they didn’t see anyone stumble and fall nor did they see any infighting. If it weren’t such a sad and horrifying sight it would be an extremely interesting thing to watch.

Douglas took position with Fidel’s shotgun and began the arduous task of picking off each of the attackers one by one so they had a clear path to the car. Shot after shot found its mark, tearing through flesh and bone indiscriminately. The injured members of the group fell where they’d been standing and became part of the ground the rest of the group walked on. Sickening squishes and crunches emanated from the group usually followed by howls of pain that were quickly stifled by another person’s steps.

It took nearly an hour for the entire group to be put down and make sure they were down for good. The trio left the roof and congregated at the front entrance of the store. Now much closer to the carnage and gore, it was very hard to look at the frozen faces and blank stares of the bodies heaped in front of the store. As the security gate was slowly unlocked and slid open to allow egress to the three travelers Douglas kept his gun trained on the bodies at their feet and took cautionary glances around to make sure that nothing was coming from nearby for a quick attack.

“The keys are in the ignition, you two get in the front and I’ll be in the back.” Douglas said with the commanding tone of an officer of the law that had orchestrated many a raid in his time.

Fidel and Tanya wasted no time grabbing the bag of supplies and moving to the back of the car and placing the bag in the trunk before moving up front and getting into their respective seats. Douglas did a quick pan of the parking lot before he made his way to the backseat of the car and got in.

“Where do we start looking?” Fidel asked after he started the car.

“They could be anywhere.” Tanya said quietly.

“Start driving and we’ll figure something out as we drive.” Douglas said.

The car was put into gear and rolled forward to the exit of the parking lot. The road in both directions was dotted with bodies and abandoned vehicles, a sight that did nothing to help the resolve of the two worried parents in the car who worried that they may never find their children in the middle of what appeared to be the end of the world.

To Be Continued…

D. Knight, glad to see you back & writing again!! It was nice to read a new part to this continuing saga you have going on!! Keep up the good work!!

Wow.

Just read this story. At first, I was put off by the name (sounds like some cheesy Deeker thing) but I really stand corrected. Awesome job!

Excellent start to the new chapter! xoxox