Dawn Of The Diapered: Part Two: Chapter Two

~MINI COMMENTARY~

Alright, I know I said that I wouldn’t do anymore short chapters for a while, BUT I felt that, like the previous chapter, this one didn’t need to be long it just needed to be good. I am going on record now as saying that the next chapter and chapters beyond will be the requisite six pages long…this one comes to four (if anyone cares).

This chapter is more character driven, like the previous chapter, but it explores the relationships between Toby and Kisa instead of Kisa and Brenda. I must say that Kisa is probably my favorite character in this story at the moment. She’s witty and humorous like me, and allows for a break in the drama and terror that I feel would make this story unbearably sad if it was on all the time.

I also said that the last chapter I wrote would be the last one written in Colorado, but I have been unable to sleep and all my DVD’s and games are packed so I write to tire myself out.

Some of you may find this chapter sappy and out of character with the tone of the story, I urge you to watch Dawn Of The Dead. That movie breaks from the terror and gore to show people enjoying a life inside a mall despite hordes of biker zombies outside. My rule is, if Romero can do it, Knight can do it…except for that whole successful career that spans nearly half a century thing, I just can’t compete with that.

Anywho, thank you for the wonderful comments and compliments thus far, I hope that this story continues to please and interest you all. As a side note, when is the story of the year competition? I think I may have a chance to lose less badly this year. /finger cross for luck

Knight

~END MINI COMMENTARY~

Dawn Of The Diapered: An Invasion Of The Adulthood Snatchers Story
By: Dementia’s Knight

Part II: The Kid’s Aren’t Alright
Chapter II: They’re Coming To Get You Brenda

Despite all the horror she’d been subjected to in the past day, Brenda Mitchell managed to not only sleep pleasantly, but have pleasant dreams as well.

It was Christmas in her dream. She thought that she must still be very young as she was wearing the sea foam green taffeta dress her grandmother had made for her, an item she had willingly discarded when she’d turned ten. She saw her family gathered around the tree, broad smiles on their faces as they talked of gifts and the arrival of Santa.

The dream was made of the kind of happiness that made you want to break down and weep, the kind of happiness usually reserved for a wedding or the birth of a child. The moment made Brenda happy because all her loved ones were safe and secure, a far cry from what might actually be the case in the waking world.

Suddenly, there was a loud banging on the front door of the house. The noise was most definitely unwelcome and out of place amongst the mirth and merriment in the house. Brenda looked to the door in her dream and tried to cry out. As is the case with most nightmares, her scream came out as a hoarse croak, barely audible above the continuous banging.

Her mother was shouting something, but her words were muffled as if she were trying to talk underwater. As Brenda watched in terror, the door swelled inward with every blow from the other side. Her family scattered, leaving her alone in the living room with her mother, who was still trying to relay some sort of message to her.

Brenda turned to face her mother and watched her mouth intently, trying to make out just what she was trying to say. Her mother moved closer and the words became clearer, something about ‘up’. The banging continued steadily, rising above every other word her mother tried to say. Her mother was now upon her, shaking her furiously and shouting at her, and her words became clear as the dream evaporated and she was thrust back into the harsh reality that was now her life.

“Wake the fuck up! They’re here!” Kisa screamed as she violently shook Brenda awake.

Now wide eyed and alert, Brenda shot up and looked around the darkened room. The banging from her dream had followed her, and it was louder and more rapid than ever. It was clear that more than one person was at the door by the multiple snarls interspersed with the pounding.

“What do we do?!” Brenda screamed.

Kisa was on her feet and looking around for some sort of implement she could use to defend herself. “I dunno, maybe you should sleep on it some more!” she spat angrily as she went into the handicapped stall and began to pull on the support bar bolted to the wall.

Brenda got to her feet and frantically looked around for a weapon of her own. She could barely see anything in the cavern like darkness of the bathroom, but she knew that she had to find something. Then it dawned on her, Toby had a gun. She went to the wall that separated the men’s and women’s bathroom and began to scream at her brother to come and help them.

Kisa managed to part the support bar from it’s anchor point with a growl and a pull that took all her muscle and body weight, the result being her crashing into the stall partition with an audible ‘oof’. The redhead rose slowly to her feet and staggered out to the main area of the room, she faced the door with fierce determination in her eyes and the bar raised up like a sword.

“Toby! Wake up! They’re here!” Brenda screamed, her voice cracking from the strain.

“Give it up little sis, we’re on our own.” Kisa said.

The door started to give a little, buckling inward enough to allow a thin shard of light from the street lamps outside to penetrate the inky blackness of the bathroom. The crack also allowed the horrible noises outside to be heard much more clearly, the thrashing and the snarling was otherworldly, and caused both girls to freeze in terror.

Brenda dropped to her knees and wept, screaming every time the door pushed inward, pushing the lock almost to it’s breaking point. Gunshots ceased the noise, one after another ringing out, echoing off the concrete walls. Each shot was followed by a sickening ‘thock’ as the bullet found it’s target and penetrated flesh and muscle to bring down the attackers. The snarling and thrashing subsided shortly after the fifth shot was fired, and after the sixth no sound was heard at all.

“It’s safe to come out now.” Toby called out. The sound of empty bullet casings hitting the floor was heard, and then the systematic placing of a new rounds into each chamber of the revolver and concluded with the spinning of the cylinder and the loud click as it was locked back into place.

Kisa stepped toward the door, dropping her weapon to her side as she undid the lock and swung the door open to see two dead bodies and Toby smiling at her. “Nice shootin’ Tex.” she said with a smile to match his as she looked at the fallen enemies at her feet.

“Figured I’d save you the trouble of having to beat them to death with a toilet bar.” he told her.

Brenda pushed passed Kisa and ran into her brothers arms, crying as she hugged him tightly and buried her face in his chest. “You saved us, I knew you would.” she said.

Toby comforted the crying girl and looked at Kisa once again. “I know it’s not exactly your idea of a good plan, but I think you should stay with Sarah and I for the rest of the night.” he told her.

Kisa said nothing but looked at the corpses and the battered door before she nodded her consent.

The rest of the night was blessedly calm. All four of the bathroom’s occupants slept, fitfully of course, but fully nonetheless.

Kisa was the first to wake as birds outside chirped merrily, obviously they were unaware what was happening to the world around them. The redhead opened her eyes slowly and saw little Sarah Archer snuggled against her. The nine year old toddler had draped one arm over Kisa’s waist, and had replaced her pacifier with the thumb of her other hand.

It was in that brief moment that Kisa realized what Brenda had said the night before was true, Sarah Archer was no threat to them, she was merely an overgrown infant. Despite her previous loathing and mistrust of the little girl, Kisa lay her head back down and put an arm around the still sleeping child, and in that moment Kisa came to care for Sarah Archer.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

“Y’know, if I didn’t know better, I’d think you were snuggling with Sarah.” Toby teased as he sat against the wall of the bathroom watching Kisa wake up for the second time.

Kisa smiled. “What can I say, I love babies.” she said.

“So big bad, rough tough Kisa Arnold has a soft spot for little Sarah now? What happened to ‘I’m gonna blow that bitches head off!’?” he asked.

Kisa sat up slowly, careful not to wake the miraculously still sleeping child. “First, I never said those exact words. Second, did I miss the part of the adventure where you got a sense of humor?” she asked with a smile as she rubbed the crust from her eyes.

Toby got up from the floor and extended his arm down to Kisa to help her up. “We survived our first night, we killed some bad guys. Well, I killed some bad guys, and it’s a beautiful day to walk through a potential death trap. I’d say given all that, I’m entitled to be a little upbeat.” he said.

“Good! That means you can go make some breakfast while I use the facilities and get these two up.” Kisa said with a smile as she gestured down to a peaceful Sarah and a loudly snoring Brenda.

“Have fun with that.” he told her as he made his way out of the bathroom.

Despite all the mayhem and chaos, Kisa felt happy as she watched Toby leave the room, something she didn’t think she’d feel for a long time.

Kisa emerged from the bathroom fifteen minutes later with Sarah on her hip and Brenda trailing behind. All three had fresh clothes on, and looked more normal than they should given the current state of their surroundings.

Toby sat at the picnic table with a stack of sandwiches on a napkin next to him as he perused his map. He looked up and greeted the three ladies as they joined him at the table. “Everyone well rested and ready for a big day of walking?” he asked.

Kisa nodded as she tore a piece of sandwich off and offered it to Sarah who eagerly took the peanut butter and jelly soaked morsel. Brenda said nothing as she tore into a sandwich of her own, barely pausing to chew.

“Hey, go back to the bathroom and grab your manners Bren, jeez.” Toby chided.

Brenda blushed and mumbled an apology, allowing crumbs to spray from her mouth and fall to the table.

“I had an idea.” Kisa said. “What if we drove the rest of the way?” she asked.

Toby shook his head. “We don’t have a car.” he told her.

Kisa stared at him for a moment and then allowed a smile to creep across her face. “I meant, we should steal a car and use it to drive to where we’re going.” she explained slowly as if she were talking to Sarah.

“I guess that could work, but we don’t have a carseat.” he said.

Kisa smiled. “Well I’m sure Brenda will be fine with a big girl seatbelt for a bit.” she said as she playfully mussed Brenda’s hair.

“Dat’s mot fummy.” Brenda said with her mouth full of sandwich.

Toby chuckled at his sister’s angry scowl and crimson blush and then nodded. “Alright, we’ll do it your way. But I’m driving.” he added quickly.

“Think again! It was my idea, hence I do the driving.” Kisa argued.

“Fine, we’ll flip for it.” Toby said as he fished a quarter from his pocket. “Heads, I drive. Tails, you drive.” he explained before flipping the coin into the air.

A half hour later the bags were in the trunk of a newly hotwired SUV, and Toby adjusted his mirrors and buckled his seatbelt as he prepared to drive them away from the park while Kisa pouted in the passenger seat.

“I think mom is mad at dad.” Brenda said to Sarah as she held the little girl on her lap in the backseat.

Sarah giggled and clapped her hands happily before the car accelerated and the second day of their trek began.

To Be Continued…

I think Sarah is adorable - but something about her give me an oh - oh feeling but maaybe I am mistaken. Good chapter!!

I agree with that statement!! Sarah is so cute, she brings some joy to the story!! D. Knight, this story is going great & I am so looking foward to your next chapter!!

Yeah, and I can’t wait to see what happens. George Romero would be proud as I said earlier. I usually don’t post much in the story section, but I LOVE this approach. Keep it up.

BabyChris121675

I’d just like to say that I love “The Who”. Well done…but how do these kids know how to hotwire a car?

I’d have gone with…“the keys were in it”. With the world falling apart all around them it’s safe to assume that there are plenty of abandoned vehicles.

-Lizzy

Well….umm, maybe Kisa has stolen a car or two in her, as yet unexplained past. Yeah…that’s the ticket.

Alright, I didn’t think of that. Good catch Lizzy! :slight_smile: BUT now I have to make that girl a dirty thief! sigh and I was just starting to like her too.

Knight

I don’t think you have to make her a thief, I’d just leave it alone. The re-write option would be “after several botched attempts at trying to hotwire the car as they’d seen on various tv shows…the kids finally got it started…”

Or you just go the other route and say they found the keys in it. But I’d say just leave it alone and move the story on as you have planned. I know I’m looking forward to more. Right now it has a “Cell” feel to it with the journey that they are on.

-Lizzy