Desperate plea for help and the future of the server update 2/27 7:13am CST

See this reply for an update. You guys and gals are awesome :smiley:

I really hate writing this, but I’m officially desperate and this does directly affect this site, along with several others.

Here’s the situation regarding the server itself:

Earlier this month someone running a badly misconfigured bot caused a massive bandwidth overage on the server. Originally it was $250 but I got them to cut it in half on the condition I pay $75 of it by midnight tomorrow night. Right now that’s not looking like it’s going to happen, meaning I’ll have to pay the full $250, and that’s on top of the normal monthly fee.

On top of that my wife hit a deer last week which totaled the car. Fun times as she only has liability and despite the severe damage to the car no one in it was actually injured. We now looking at having to get a new car. This is on top of moving into a new apartment the second week of march.

Basically, we had several planned expenses that while they were stretching out budget we would have been fine. The universe decided to throw us a hell of a curveball and gave us some unexpected expenses.

Essentially, in addition to what income we have we need at least $850 to cover everything, and that’s still going to leave us hurting a bit.

If you can help out at all, you can use this link to help via paypal.

I hate to state the obvious, but if the bandwidth overage at a minimum isn’t covered then the server will be shut off and there’s nothing I can do about it. And yes, covering the overage is my top priority and I am asking everyone I can think of for help but most of the replies have been in the negative or only add up to about $20 right now.

if you want to help and can’t use paypal, feel free to PM to discuss alternatives.

Re: Desperate plea for help and the future of the server

Well, I covered the “by tomorrow night” part. I’d do more if I could…

It would be sad to see this forum go down so I helped with a little. Keep us updated on the progress.

HOLY SHIT! I just looked at my paypal account and it’s over $400 in just 12 hours and most of that in the last 2.

You guys are awesome. With what I have coming from a couple of friends, and what one person from here sent me in bitcoins last night I got what I needed to cover everything plus a little extra :smiley:

Re: Desperate plea for help and the future of the server update 2/27 7:13am CST

The upside of the timing on your particular “perfect storm” - here in the US, whole lotta folks just got their tax refunds. :slight_smile:

That is sad to hear

Erm…

Did you not read the update two posts down? Problem was solved a month ago. :wink: