... FlyingFox

Hello, I’m “Flying Fox”. (It’s not rhyming slang, honest!)

I used to browse this Forum quite a lot on the old XSOrbit site, and have now found it for the first time in a couple of years. I never posted, just read and enjoyed the stories.

I’ve had a few stories going through my head, and I thought it might be right to write them all down one day!

The username is just a random choice, so I’ve got something different to the bzillions of profiles and stuff I do, offline and online, in other areas, communities etc. So, please don’t confuse me with any other foxes elsewhere, as this is a one-off. Honest!

Oh, and yes, I’m living in England, UK, so please excuse the language barrier :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

… FlyingFox

Pshh… there is no barrier. Only ignorance :stuck_out_tongue:

… FlyingFox

Hello, I’m “Flying Fox”. (It’s not rhyming slang, honest!)

How unequivocally true, fox does indeed not rhyme with flying.

… FlyingFox

Well now, Jaks, he COULD be referring to the… actually… damn…

Yeah. No rhyming… Hmm…

… FlyingFox

lol he means slang for instance “barney rubble” means trouble

… FlyingFox

Umm…what?

… FlyingFox

ryhming slang. you say something that sounds like what you want to say. its like pig latin or carny. so say i want to tell you that something has gone wrong but i dont want other people to know what im talkin about id say its gone mary. meaning its gone hairy

… FlyingFox

Ah…okay then.

Umm…in that case, why is the newbie frying a box?

… FlyingFox

i dunno, newbies cant splain what they do trying to fit in. anyway welcome fox
you can rfind ray here and hopeuflly you will have some peter

… FlyingFox

I didn’t……

… FlyingFox

Dude… I totally get the language barrier thing now >.<

… FlyingFox

possibly, im not nearly as fluent in ryming slang as i used to be, but i still gave a explanation to it

… FlyingFox

“The Cockney”! LOL.

It’s called Cockney Rhyming Slang and Flying Fox would not be Flying Fuck at all. It could be ‘box’ or something like that.

Here’s a list of some common ones: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

It’s origins are supposedly East London, but no one speaks it per se, but just uses words here and there. The most common modern one would be ‘It’s all gone Pete Tong’ ie. it’s all gone wrong. Or it’s a load of Cobblers’.

… FlyingFox

Sorry Vickie, I wasn’t laughing at you unkindly, but yes, whilst it is perhaps a technically correct use of the word ‘Cockney’ it doesn’t at all capture the common usage or real meaning.

What I found funny was ‘The Cockney’ as if it were like ‘The French’. You can describe people as cockney - more of a normal adjective than a nationality. Additionally, you could call someone a ‘cockney’ maybe, though more likely a ‘cockney type’ or something to that effect. What you wouldn’t do is ascribe any formal significance to it.

So your sentence would look more like - for example -

I’m not fluent in it at all, though I had heard of it before (I believe its used amongst cockneys and the like, correct?)

… FlyingFox

But it sounds so much nicer than ‘among’!

… FlyingFox

sweet now that someone else knows what ryming slang is i can argue more lol cos i wasnt to sure of myself lol anyway yeah im failry sure if he used ryhming slang he didnt mean fuck. for instance in ryhming slang fox could be meaning megan fox, and one of her qualities is being sexy so he could have meant sexy lol ryming slang is so weird at the best of times lol

… FlyingFox

It’s more likely that - as Vickie suggests - he just misused to the concept of rhyming slang.

Re: … FlyingFox

Thanks - but to be honest :wink: :smiley: ;D
https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=126

Told you it was random!

Defiantly Vickie! you win! ;D

Well, not quite what you said. ‘Flying Fox’ isn’t actually the phrase, it’s just supposed to bring it to mind and it’s still not rhyming slang.