Huggies Jeans diapers...WTF.

Ok, so the wife and I are running a few errands yesterday and while at Target she text me (we were seperated with one kid each) a picture of huggies latest……fashion trend? Apparently they have no produced a diaper with a denim like outcover that looks like a pair of jeans. Really now? As a parent with at least one kid still in diapers, though he has recently decided to start taking them off every few minutes!, I just look at these diapers and shake my head in shame. It’s just odd I guess. it’s a diaper, not a pair of blue jeans. If I need my kids to look like he’s wearing jeans, then i’ll put him in a pair of jeans!

Anyways, just thought I would pass this along.

Re: Huggies Jeans diapers…WTF.

I noticed this as well when I was in Kroger this afternoon. They aren’t a new design, really; I’ve seen them on Ebay having been imported from Israel and other countries. I guess it’s just a summer thing.

There was a discussion on these going on at DailyDiapers yesterday. Someone suggested buying a couple of packs and holding on to them for a couple years then selling them on eBay. shrugs

Diaper speculation? Seriously? Really? Didn’t go so well for the comic book market.

These things are just…hilarious. No, really, that’s the word I’m looking for here. It suggests that there is such a predominance of babies running around in just their diapers that people now feel that the convenience of not having to undress their kid to change them is no longer outweighed by an obsessive need to cover every part of them with clothing and let nothing look like underwear. There’s a research paper in there somewhere.

Can you get ones that looked ripped?

Skinny or baggy?

It’s because it’s Summer

I’m with Narxn. I think it is poor parenting to take your kids out and about wearing nothing but a diaper. Huggies is now encouraging yet more lazy behavior from parents. I’m surprised these only go up to size 5. And no, it doesn’t matter to me if it’s 105 outside – the kid still should have some clothes on – if not for a matter of public decency, it’s also a major health issue! All people in public should be covered with clothing. Running around at home in just a diaper is fine but if you’re going outside and near other people – it is expected your children (and yourself) are wearing clothing. It’s not just a fashion statement – it’s for protection (of the kid and others).

It is sad how lazy of a nation we are becoming….this is yet more proof of it. It’s encouraging parents to become even more lazy. In my opinion if you are too lazy to dress your children properly…you shouldn’t have them in the first place. Oh and if you also think your babies look “cute” in these stupid things, you…shouldn’t have had kids either! Why can’t the folks at KC come up with some better ideas… like bringing back the older thick, plastic backed diapers that actually didn’t leak!? Hmm what a concept.

Saw these this morning. I looked to see if they had a Size 6 for curiosity (not that it would ever fit) but like someone said they only go to size 5. I thought they were a cute idea! I think underneath a short dress these would be adorable! Of course they’ll never make anything cute like this in a size we can wear…

Who knows….depends did just come out with there Underwear like pullups for boys and girls :slight_smile:

The health issues I spoke of aren’t that hard to understand. Most daycare centers and preschools require all children to be dressed and wearing more than just undergarments. It has to do with more contact with bare skin. Diseases and germs can be contacted from the skin. Wearing just a diaper exposes the child to outside infections that can be entered through the skin (chest, tummy, legs, etc). If the child has a rash on his chest, wearing a shirt would help conceal it, for example. And in some public places, including Wal-Mart, it is considered indecent to have your kid out in public wearing just a diaper. There was a picture of three toddler boys wearing nothing but diapers recently on peopleofwalmart.com and you should have seen all the comments from people saying how “disgusting and improper” it was. A lot of people consider it to be trashy. I’m not saying I fully agree with all the comments, but it goes to show it is not socially acceptable. And to me it does indeed show laziness. Clothes were invented for a reason. Unless you live in a nudist colony, there should be no reason to set foot into Wal-Mart wearing no shoes and no shirt. Also why most stores have such a sign on the front door. If it applies to adults it should apply to kids as well.

I know all diapers leak. But I’m still convinced the thick plastic backed diapers leaked less. As soon as they started with that “breathable” nonsense, diaper performance has just not been the same.

haha actually these have been around in my country for about a year now. I sometimes see kids wearing them around town. They’re mainly foreigners though - locals tend not to go for over-fancy stuff. I personally think they’re sort of cute but entirely unnecessary.

Anyway on the debate - I don’t think it’s good for kids to wear just a diaper, but its alright if they wear a top - and in fact this is a really common sight on the streets. My country’s climate is really hot and really humid, so most people (especially foreigners) don’t wear too heavy clothing. At the same time, they don’t want their kids to get sunburned, so they usually compromise by dressing them in just a t-shirt and diapers. Infection-wise, while it is true that some viruses can penetrate the skin barrier, its rather unlikely that a child will pick them up, unless he goes and touches it with his hands (shoes obviously have to be worn).

However, if the climate is right, i think it’s alright for toddlers to just wear diapers and nothing else. I would find it unusual and slightly weird, but I dont think it’s indecent. Like Guinevere said, they’re essentially still babies, and they’re not showing any of their sensitive areas. Also, the reason why clothes were invented was to (evolutionary view) to protect oneself from the elements and environment, like scratches from thorns, etc or (biblical view) to cover up Adam and Eve’s shame at their nakedness - so what exactly is your point by just stating that clothes were invented for a reason?

Leakage wise, i dunno - while I WOULD perfer a plastic backed-diaper, I dont really see how it being cloth-backed increases leaks. Leaks normally come out of the leg gathers, not through the material - in fact i have NEVER had a diaper leak through the material before. Clothbacks are also more comfortable on hot days and when moving around. I still miss the feeling of the plastic backed ones though - but i don’t really think that cloth backing affects leakage. That would be more of diaper shape or capacity.

You’re pretty uptight if you think this is a public decency issue

Here’s what I meant about the more prone to leaking statement….

When they did away with the plain plastic backed diapers and went to “cloth-like,” a few things changed in the design of disposable baby diapers.

1. The plastic back sheet is still there, but it has been made thinner and cheaper. The thinner the plastic film, the more delicate it is and the more prone it can be to bursting open or tearing when saturated (when most of the SAP has turned from powder to gel).

2. Some brands like Huggies promised the outer covering to be “breathable,” allowing air to “vent” in (but not wetness). I don’t care what they say; If there are tiny “vent” holes in the plastic film sheet, some moisture is going to escape. When Huggies first switched from all plastic to “breathable, quilted covers,” if you poured a good amount of liquid into the diaper and gently squished it around, you could physically see and feel a small amount of moisture leak out. I should have taken videos or pictures of this, but seriously it happened. I bet you could still do it with Huggies “Snug and Dry” today. Test it out, you’ll see what I mean.

3. Since going to cloth like covers, the goal has also been to make them as thin as possible. Doing so compromises some things – like removing the wood pulp “fluff” which helps to quickly wick away the liquid before getting fully absorbed by the SAP. May sound like nonsense to you, but I have studied diapers quite a bit over the years and these are some of my “findings.”

As for the public decency debate, I guess it’s a matter of personal opinion. I happen to find it a little disturbing to see a child wearing only a diaper when out at the park or in a store or mall. When I said clothing was invented for a reason, I meant that it was designed to protect us. Just like you said – from getting scratched, bitten, or sun burned. To send your kid out in public wearing hardly anything borders on negligence if you ask me. But again, that is just my opinion. You don’t have to agree. :slight_smile: No, Matt I am not uptight. I just happen to have strong feelings towards certain parenting issues, I suppose. Maybe I’m a bit of an overprotective father, but I’d rather be that than the opposite.

I think they are kinda cute, I would go for them if they fit me, but a size 5 isn’t gonna happen.

Wow. I am in full agreement with you. Seriously. I think you summed up exactly what I was trying to say in one little paragraph. :slight_smile: Yeah the older diapers from the 80’s will never happen, but we can always dream…

I think there is a market for that kind of thing. Just about every AB sissy and LG would want a diaper like that. But, it costs a lot to implement a new diaper design–especially an all-over print or solid color diaper other than white.

The owner of Fetware once told me that they have to have a demand of about 10,000 pairs of plastic pants in order to invest in the rolls they use to manufacture them, not to mention time, effort and supplies that go with it.

Ok everybody on the count of three grab any yes I did say any disposeable baby diaper, name brand or generic. THREE now peel off the clothlike outer layer. Now place your hand on that soft white crinkly layer that you have just exposed. What is this materrial??. Wait could it be? no, no it couldn’t be. Could it, yes, yes I think it is. Yes I’m sure of it, its PLASTIC

I’d say go with the one’s in the 90’s. They were not like a brick diapers of the 80’s.

Russ – in addition to what Guinevere said… It is not always that simple. You might be able to pull the cloth-like sheet off SOME disposable diapers, but not all. It depends how it is made. Huggies for example you cannot take off the cloth-like cover without completely destroying the plastic sheet because they integrate the cloth-like fibers on top of the (very thin) plastic sheet. Basically they put a lot of adhesive on the outside, then dip it in the cloth-like fibers so it blends in and is impossible to remove.

Some of the more generic brands do just slap on a cloth-like sheet and use very weak dabs of glue. With a lot of the generic diapers and Pull-Ups you can indeed carefully rip it off, but again, the plastic sheet behind it is not of the same thickness and quality as it was back in the 90’s. Once you start ripping off the cloth-like sheet, it weakens the plastic back sheet and the diaper will start falling apart. This is why we want our old classic thick plastic diapers back.

And all the absorbancy patches are really targeted, whereas the old Pampers were thick all over.