Invasion Of The Adulthood Snatchers: Chapter One

Hey all! This story was originally going to be another short, but as I started writing it I realized there was way too much that needed to happen and a lot of information to digest so I decided to make it a full story. I’m going to try and keep it shortish so nobody grows weary of it, myself included, but I think that it should be a pretty cool and interesting little story. Please enjoy and feel free to comment, for that’s what sustains me and my kind. Thanks.

Knight

Invasion Of The Adulthood Snatchers
By: Dementia’s Knight

Chapter I: Patient Zero

“Alright, I want a full toxicological work-up done and the results on my desk ASAP.” Dr. Mary Franks told the nurse that was walking through the hallway with her. The nurse nodded and broke off to complete his task.

Mary removed her glasses and pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing heavily as the toll of her shift began to make her weary.

“Dr. Franks?” a familiar voice addressed her from behind.

Mary turned to face the woman. “Yes Dr. Monroe?” she asked.

Claire Monroe held up her clipboard for Mary to take. “I have a very interesting case that I’d like your input on.” she said.

Mary put her glasses back on and took the clipboard, she looked it over for a moment and looked back up at Claire. “When did the symptoms start?” she asked before looking back at the clipboard.

“Her husband brought her in a little over an hour ago, he said the symptoms started showing less than a day ago.” Claire explained.

Mary nodded. “Let’s go check her out.” she said.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

The scene on the other side of the observation window was odd to say the least. A man and a woman were in the room together, the man seated beside the bed holding the woman’s hand was commonplace in a hospital room, but the woman was the out of place feature. The young blonde was laying flat on her back in the bed, her eyes were puffy and red giving the appearance that she’d spent a good deal of time crying recently. The young woman’s lips were wrapped around her thumb and she was working it rhythmically much like a toddler would.

“No history of mental illness? Nervous breakdowns? Anything out of the ordinary at all?” Mary asked.

Claire shook her head. “Husband claims that she’s healthy as a horse. Says she’s never had any psychotic episodes or anything resembling what we’re seeing now.” she explained.

“So, the question remains, ‘what’s wrong with this woman?’.” Mary asked with a sigh, her headache welling up again.

Claire nodded in agreement. “Let’s see if we can find out.” she said.

The two doctors made their way into the room. Mary’s tall stature and dark skin contrasted Claire’s light skin and diminutive height almost comically. “Good evening Mr. Adams.” Claire said warmly as they entered the room.

“Shh, she finally stopped crying a little bit ago. Believe me, you don’t want her to start again.” Donald Adams said in a hushed tone as he calmly rose to meet the two women.

Claire nodded her consent with Donald’s wishes and moved closer to him. “Mr. Adams, this is our senior neurologist Dr. Mary Franks.” she explained. “I’ve asked her to examine your wife, and use her extensive background to aid us in treating her.” she said.

Donald nodded and sat back down next to his wife’s bed. Taking his wife’s hand in his he gently stroked it to keep her calm.

Mary approached the bed and pulled her penlight from the breast pocket of her coat and moved in close to Donald’s wife to begin her examination. She smelled a familiar stench as she neared the woman, working in a hospital regrettably provides you with many run-ins with feces, she pressed forward and shone her light in the panicked looking woman’s eyes.

Sandra Adams exploded when the beam shone in her eyes. Screeching like a wounded animal she thrashed wildly at Mary pelting the young doctor with a barrage of slaps and fingernails.

“Jesus Christ!” Mary shouted as she stumbled backward, knocking her head on the linoleum tiled floor.

Claire rushed over to the security button by the door and smashed it with her palm before rushing to Mary’s side and helping her up.

“Why wasn’t she sedated?!” Mary screamed as she shakily got to her feet.

Before Claire could answer she was knocked to the ground by Sandra as she leapt from the bed, pulling at the young blonde’s hair with one hand and slapping at her face with the other. The room was deafening with all the screaming and wounded cries, it soon became almost too much to bear.

Donald snapped out of his catatonic state of surprise and rushed over to his wife, grabbing her by the waist and hoisting her off of Claire. He flung his wife back to the bed just as the door burst open allowing two burly security officials to enter and help pin Sandra to the bed, allowing Mary to properly strap her to the bed with the help of the guards.

Sandra thrashed for a moment longer and then abruptly stopped when she looked at Donald. “Daddy?” she asked in a sweet and confused tone before she passed out.

Claire got to her feet with the help of the two security guards and straightened her appearance out. “Sorry about that.” she told Mary. “What made her calm down, did you sedate her?” she asked.

Mary shook her head. “She stopped just as quickly as she started.” she explained. Taking a visual account of the damage done by Sandra during her outburst. She noted with disgust the the excrement she smelled earlier was now healthily matted to her coat and the bed, as well as Claire’s clothes. “We’ll be back in a few minutes with a sedative for your wife Mr. Adams.” Mary said.

Claire and Mary left the room and made their way to the locker room to change into less repugnant clothing.

“Looks like she got both of us pretty good.” Claire said with a half-hearted chuckle as she cleaned the scratches on her face and arms and looked at Mary’s set of scars.

Mary turned to Claire and pointed an accusatory finger at her. “She never would have gotten us at all if you’d sedated her or restrained her in some way. Christ Claire, you know better than that.” she said.

Claire looked hurt. “I’m sorry Mary, I neglected my duties and got us hurt. It won’t happen again.” she said sincerely.

With new clothes on and their wounds treated, Mary and Claire returned to Sandra’s room with a sedative for the woman. While Claire administered the drug Mary questioned Donald.

“So you say that she started acting out of sorts less than a day ago?” Mary asked.

Donald nodded. “Sandy came home from work early, she was crying when she came through the door. When I asked her what had happened she just wrapped her arms around me and bawled for about an hour.” he explained.

Mary took notes on what Donald was saying before she followed up with him. “What else?” she asked.

Donald looked at his now peaceful wife as she slept and wiped a rouge tear from his eye. “Once I’d managed to calm her down she told me that she’d gotten scared while she was driving home, that everyone was honking at her and she had pulled over to try and calm down. That’s when she said she noticed she’d, umm wet herself.” he said with some hesitation.

Mary recalled the smell of feces she’d encountered earlier, which now seemed to fit with her symptoms. “Has Sandra ever had accidents before? Or had any emotional breakdowns like she did the other day?” she asked.

Donald shook his head. “Sandy has always been a strong and independent woman. I’ve never seen her act this way before.” he told her.

Mary nodded. “One more thing Mr. Adams, earlier your wife called you ‘daddy’, has she ever done that before?” she asked, trying not to pry into the couple’s possibly sordid personal life.

“No, never. I don’t know why she did, but given the way she’s been acting recently it kind of makes sense.” Donald said.

Mary finished making her notes and then looked up at Donald. “We’re going to do everything we can to help your wife Mr. Adams. In the meantime, you’re welcome to stay by her side.” she said.

“Thank you Dr. Franks.” Donald said with a warm smile before he went back to his post by his wife’s bedside.

Later that night in her office, Mary poured over her notes regarding Sandra Adams’ case. “Possible mental breakdown resulting in mental regression.” she told her tape recorder. “Recommend patient be moved to psychiatric ward for further analysis and diagnosis.” she said before shutting the tape recorder off and removing her glasses to once again pinch the bridge of her nose and rub her throbbing temple.

“Rough night?” came a man’s voice from the doorway behind her.

Turning her chair around she replaced her glasses and smiled up at the man. “Yeah, thank goodness it’s over.” she said. “And what are you up to Stan?” she asked.

The tall chestnut haired man held out a paper coffee cup for Mary to take. “I saw your light on and figured I’d bring you some fuel.” he said.

Mary took the cup and blew into it to cool it off before taking a slow sip. “Thanks.” she said with a smile.

“I also thought that if you weren’t doing anything for lunch tomorrow, maybe we could get together.” Stan confessed with a sheepish grin.

Mary smiled but sighed at the same time. “You know we can’t do that Stan.” she said.

Stan nodded. “I know, but I’ll never stop trying.” he said with feigned smile. “I’ll let you finish what you’re doing so you can get outta here.” he told her. “Night.” he added with a small wave as he left the doorway.

“Night Stan, thanks again for the coffee.” she said as she watched him depart. She closed her files up after finishing her coffee and shut off her lights before she closed and locked her office door.

Driving home she noticed the emptiness of the streets, her car was one of only a dozen on the road, far less than she was accustomed to. She stopped at the market on her way home to get something for dinner and noticed that the parking lot seemed nearly deserted as well. “Good luck for me.” she thought to herself as she parked her car and headed into the store.

As she walked the aisles looking for components for a good meal she heard a child crying from a few aisles away, she followed the sounds and came upon a young girl with her mother. The daughter was standing in the middle of the aisle looking down at her mother who was on all fours on the floor of the aisle. As she neared the pair she saw a trail of yellow liquid expanding from a large pool directly beneath the mother.

“Please, help my mom.” the young girl said with pleading eyes as she turned to see who was approaching her.

Mary went up to the girl and her mother and looked down at the middle aged woman. A thin line of drool was running down the woman’s chin as she looked up at Mary. “Mama?” she asked in an uncertain and frightened tone. Mary watched in awe as the woman sat back on her behind in the puddle of urine she’d created and looked up at Mary and her daughter, an innocent smile on her face.

“Please, help her.” the young girl pleaded to Mary.

Fishing her cell phone from her purse Mary called over to the hospital where she worked and gave them the address of the store. “Alright, some doctors are on the way to help your mom.” Mary explained to the crying girl.

The woman on the floor had taken to laying on her side in the puddle, her thumb planted in her mouth and her free hand twirling a strand of hair with her index finger. Mary stared at the woman in disbelief, she was acting exactly as Sandra Adams had earlier that night. The gears of thought began to churn in her head as Mary struggled to make sense of what she was witnessing and what the two cases had in common.

Mary stayed with the girl and her mother until the ambulance had arrived. She called Claire at the hospital and told her what had happened, she told her to carefully examine both women to try and find any correlations between the too eerily similar cases. “I’ll follow up with you tomorrow when I get to the hospital.” she said before she hung up the phone.

As she lay in bed later that night Mary’s mind still struggled to wrap around the events of the evening. She tried to shake the fear that what had happened to these two women was not just a coincidence, but just the start of something much larger. When her eyes finally closed she heard sirens in the distance, and somewhere outside she heard crying.

To Be Continued…

Nice start! This promises to be a good story. I look forward to more from you.

I love reading your work Dementia. It is almost always among the best, plus it typically has that dark, creepy aspect that so attracts me to your writing. This story is no exception to the rule. Wonderful job.

I can’t wait to see what happens in chapter 2, D. Knight well done!!

Very nice start, I look forward to reading more.

-Lizzy

Bravo, good sir. :slight_smile:

Great start like to see where this story goes

Interesting start. I await future chapters.

I love this idea :slight_smile: and you give it the spooky, which is my favorite thing about your writing. More chapters please!

looks like a good beginning to a story, hope to see it continued