IS THERE A WAY OF REMOVING OLD STORIES OVER 2 X YRS OLD

HI.
I DON’T know if in right area but a pet hate of mine is on the board member story forum when say a story which was started over 2 x yrs ago and has not been added to for say over a year ,when somebody decides to comment on it saying i loved story or brilliant start , i can not wait for more chapters. this is just an example.
I WAS wondering if anything could be done by the admin team say to delete some of the old stories or to block any body adding comments on to them when author of story has not been on site for a long time.
please accept apologies if i am speaking out of term or on the wrong section. :-\

Re: IS THERE A WAY OF REMOVING OLD STORIES OVER 2 X YRS OLD

I can’t say for certain as I’m not an admin, but I can probably guess that the only way for a story to be removed is for either that story to be so grossly offensive and against forum rules that it had to be removed, or at the request of the author themselves.

No it wasn’t the correct area which is quite impressive since I linked you directly to the correct forum in the PM I sent you. I have moved it to the correct one though.

I am very much against the removal of the old stories without a very good reason. I can say one member’s username and a good chunk of the regularly active members will know why: BabyButt. For those who don’t immediately get the significance, search for that name in this topic the first paragraph under those two questions gives an executive summary of the situation.

I also personally know of at least 4 authors who had not logged in for some time (two years for one of them) who logged in after getting comments on their old stories. They had literally forgotten they had accounts on here. I also know a few people who lost the address when the address changed and didn’t start logging in again until after some major downtime awhile back prompted me to send out a mass email to all accounts.

Now as far as automatically locking them: Sure it’s possible, but you need to determine what qualifies as “a long time”. Also, it’s not possible without modifying the board’s source code or by writing a script run from a cron job that does it. I’ve seen the source code of some of the available modifications that will do it and to be blunt, I would stop supporting anything on this board except anything directly related to the server itself if any of them were installed. Most of them are of a really shitty quality and modify the code in ways that are very dangerous as it makes it very difficult to install security updates. Don’t even get me started on the performance hit those mods cause because of how they check the age of the topic.

So let’s say we set “a long time” to 365 days.

Since we’ve already established the board isn’t getting its source code hacked up for this, that leaves the cron job.

So what do we need?

The ability to run cron: The user the board runs as isn’t allowed to run cron jobs. That means I have to either enable that or run it under my user account. Let’s go with the safer option: Running it as me.

We need to modify the members table to include a field to tell us to specifically not process a given ID because we’ve already handled it in the past.

We need to know the UNIX timestamp from exactly 365 days ago as of midnight on the night we run the job.

We need to find all members who last login time is before than MIDNIGHT_TIMESTAMP_365_DAYS_AGO

We need to find all topics started by that member that are in the story forums and not already locked.

We need to update the locked status of those topics.

Need to update the new field in the member table to say we’ve processed this member successfully.

Sounds simple enough but it will cause a performance hit each time it runs because of the size of the members table.

Plus how often do you run it? Nightly? Weekly? Monthly? Every other month? Every three months? Every six months? Yearly? When someone bumps an old story post?

Also consider this: There are plenty of legitimate reasons a member may not have logged in for some time and may return. How would you feel if you came back and found all your stories locked because you’d had an illness that prevented you from being able to get online?

That’s why I am very much against the idea.

tl;dr version: It’s a giant pain in the ass, much bigger than the one created by necrobumping.

Pretty much, although I’ve never been a fan of teel deers :wink:

But Couldn’t you write it all an assembly language, and poof no more performance issues. :lol:

I’ve seen stories get picked up after 2 years, e.g. Finding Jill over DailyDiapers, and Keilani’s Long Vacation by ToddCheese, which seems to take centuries between each update.

Hell, I’ve got at least two half-finished stories from years ago that I still, perhaps oddly, fully intend to get around to one day, when I have time, sometime in the next century.

Sadly no new chapter, I also emailed him about 2 years ago and heard that he was working on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I think that the previous chapter came about a year or two after the one before it, it’s a very slow story…

Seems apropo that he would take long vacations in between updates… 8)

I have completed stories that are on here that I don’t want removed. Most were not moved to completed stories.

Here is an idea, how about making a incomplete section to move stories to that have not been updated in two years?

Basically what I wrote before minus the parts about tracking the last activity of the author :slight_smile:

That’s why we originally had the “Complete Stories” board - people were to take the initiative themselves to move their story there once it had been completed.

For a long time I wondered about that. I can’t find any place where it’s explicitly stated that’s how that forum is supposed to be used. Since you said that I will update the description to make that more explicit :slight_smile:

Incidentally, somewhat relevant to the discussion. Here is a story that was updated on September 25th, 2014 after the previous update was posted January 10th, 2013. That’s over a year. Not quite 2 years but it’s proof that just because a story appears abandoned it doesn’t actually mean it is :slight_smile: