Laura Wakes Up - Now with More Added (13/11/2010)

This was going to be a one-shot, but given that I’m a little pressed for time and don’t want to save it to a communal computer yadda yadda, it’s going to come in a couple of installments. Maybe I’ll write a couple and make it a series. The point is that this is going to be a short story and you’re only getting the first two pages now anyway - expect more this evening. But I’d love some feedback and I hope you enjoy it a little bit.

For the record, it’s fair to say that I owe a bit of inspiration to The Bedwetter’s Ball, which I recommend you read, but I’m planning on going down a different path.

So:

Eleven year old Laura Woodside drew the heavy red curtains across the empty window in her bedroom and walked over to the dark wood chest of drawers that flanked her bed. She dropped both the towel around her body and the one enveloping her long blonde hair and pulled on a vest and pulled up a Goodnite. She tugged the light by the closed door and found her way into bed in the dark. No sooner had she pulled the duvet around her neck than she was promptly asleep.

Tap, tap, tap at the window. Laura groggily opened her eyes and rubbed away the sleep. Tap, tap, tap again. She edged her way to the side of the curtains and, rather than open them, peaked in under the edge.

“Hello,” the boy said.

Laura stumbled back, surprised. This moment wasn’t nearly as romantic as it looked in the movies, but then, in the movies normally they’d seen the boy before. And Laura had never seen anything like this boy. For a start, she’d never seen someone who could reach straight through glass, as he had when offering her his hand to shake. After that, it was certainly unusual, she thought, to have green-blue spiral eyes, like little windmill toys.

“Hello,” the boy repeated from behind the curtains, “I’m sorry to barge in,” – and he marched straight through the windows and the curtains – “but you must be Laura and my name’s Arthur.”

“Please to meet you, I suppose,” Laura stuttered, moving back to sit on the bed. It was only as she reached over to the bedside light that she realised she had no need: she could see perfectly as if the room was inundated with a kind of clarity, though it remained pitch black. “Why are you in my room?”

“I’ve come to ask a favour. I need your help with something.” Replied the boy, adding, ominously, “Something important, though I dare say, dangerous.”

Laura thought to herself for a moment. She wasn’t a particularly adventurous girl. She had her friends, she was a good student, sometimes she was in trouble, but she was never the kind to sneak away with a stranger in the middle of the night, not that she actually knew if that kind existed outside of stories. But something was a little different. The boy radiated a sense of excitement that, even though she’d just woken up, had her itching to run, jump and explore.

“What do you want?” she asked.

“I want you to pack up whatever you need for the night and I’ll tell you on the way,” replied Arthur, flicking his jagged black hair out of those swirling eyes. “The journey won’t take long, but there’s not long until morning.”

Laura jumped to her feet and seized her beaten up leather satchel – the one that had belonged to her grandfather – and tipped out her schoolbooks. She grabbed a honey coloured cashmere hoody from the drawers, a spare Goodnite, stuffed them in the bag and pulled on a pair of tartan flannel shorts. Before she had time to tie the ribbon the boy had seized her by the wrist and pulled her through the window and into the air.

Walking across the air, two stories above her driveway, Laura no longer thought about how strange things were. When the boy opened an old wooden door, riddled with woodworm, that she’d been unable to see above the gates she’d walked through every morning for her whole life, she walked through without question.

The two of them arrived at the foot of a colossal staircase, carved out of granite polished so finely black that it looked more like the night sky than the air Laura had just stepped from. Far in the distance, at the top, a white building glowed faintly, like the moon.

“We better run,” said Arthur. And with that Laura found herself running, tirelessly, up more stairs than she’d ever seen in her life.

Some hours later, at the top, breathing as if nothing had happened, he offered, “You only have to take the stairs once. There are ten thousand of them. Inside they take it as a sign of respect that you make the effort at least once.”

Laura sat down, her diaper squishing, though she only wet whilst asleep, on the low wall that surrounded the enormous round courtyard. The building still looked so far away. All around there was nothing beneath the wall. The stairs extended in one direction, but everywhere else? everywhere else there was nothing.

“Where are we?” she whispered, though her voice still echoed across the desolate stone.

“At the palace,” Arthur replied “First we’ll announce our arrival, and then I’ll answer some of your questions.”

Once again, he grabbed her skinny wrist and Laura floated alongside him, her satchel over her other arm, her hair flowing behind.

Re: Laura Wakes Up

Yay Dreamscape!

Sounds very nicely illogical, the same thought processes a person would go through if it was an actual dream. Good job replicating it! :slight_smile:

more more more! please!!

Plans have changed: this evening is now tomorrow morning.

where might i be able to find this “bedwetters ball” story of yours?

Not of mine. Awfully, I’ve forgotten the name of the guy who wrote it, but it’s on this board.

Edit: So, it’s by Kid_Marv, and didn’t manage to migrate from the old board. I’ve no idea if it still exists somewhere.

Edit 2: I found some on his Diaperspace blog, so I’ve added it to completed stories.

Re: Laura Wakes Up - Now with More Added (13/11/2010)

Here is some more, as promised:

As they finally reached the palace itself a hole began to open in its side, though nothing else about the walls appeared to move. Arthur let go of Laura’s wrist and instead offered her his arm, which she took, unconsciously standing up a little taller and straightening her shorts over the waistband of her diaper. The two stepped into a small antechamber with smooth shortbread coloured limestone walls and floor. Opposite the entrance they had just taken the wall shimmered with a gentle coating of water that trickled down in a sheet, disappearing at the floor.

Arthur stood in the centre of the room and spoke loudly and clearly; “It is Arthur. I have found her.”

The wall behind the sheet of water disappeared and the soothing voice of an old man offered, “Come in. Take a seat. They will be with you shortly.”

Laura started to say, “But you still haven’t explained…” but the words caught in her throat as Arthur strode through the water and disappeared. Laura sighed quietly to herself and, nervously shuffled on behind him, emerging completely dry on the other side.

Laura tried to keep her wonderment to herself, but couldn’t prevent herself from asking, “Who was that?”

Arthur began to sit and under him a white stone bench appeared. He waved for Laura to follow suit, and she did, falling into stone stool that could have been made from feathers.

“That was the palace himself,” he explained. “The palace demands a certain level of control over who may enter, or exit, or indeed, how they move about inside. If the palace needs something examining, you can be sure that all doors will only lead to one place. He’s not so meddlesome, though. Being as old as he is, he has rather different views on what’s worth examining or not. He’s also a very loyal servant, not that that’s any good to anyone but them, but those are the perks of the station. Sadly, he’s not very well for now: he usually sounds healthier than that. Less kindly, more lyrical.”

“Where are we?” Laura asked.

“At the palace. There’s very little else to say about that,” replied Arthur, and Laura sighed and accepted that perhaps, that really was all there was to say on the matter.

“Who are they?”

“They are in charge around here. The palace is theirs, as are a great deal of other things. It would be best to be polite when they arrive. Though I imagine that will not happen for a few minutes yet. They enjoy a certain protocol where guests are concerned, and we’ve been looking for you for some time.”

The question “Why me?” briefly flashed across Laura’s mind, but it disappeared almost as quickly as it had arrived and so many other questions were clamouring to make themselves known that she could hardly hold onto any of them for more than a moment.

“Is there a bathroom?”

“Look to your left,” Arthur said. And Laura looked round and, standing on the flagstone floor, that she noticed was warm under her bare feet, was a white door, that stood vibrantly against the endless midnight blue of the room. As she walked to it Laura thought to herself that she’d never known a building with so much space, let alone so much empty space, ever before.

“It’s not empty, it’s potential,” the voice of the palace echoed softly in her head, leaving Laura feeling uncomfortable for the first time all evening. The idea that a building might listen into her thoughts was invasive.

“I’ll ignore you, if you want,” the palace said.

“Perhaps unless I speak out loud?” Laura muttered.

“Off course,” echoed the apologetic reply.

Through the door Laura found a brightly lit, tiled room. Only as her eyes adjusted did she realise how dark it had been outside. She went to the sink and splashed some water in her face and tidied her hair. She didn’t know who ‘they’ were, but she certainly got the feeling that the rulers of quite whatever domain she was in merited some small effort.

She dropped her shorts and took off her Goodnite, dropping it into the bin by the side of the sink and took a wipe from the golden box on the counter in front of her. Then she reached into her satchel for the clean diaper, pulled it up and then tied her shorts back up on her slim hips. As she stepped back outside, into the blue of the palace proper, it occurred to her that there had been no toilet in the room at all and aloud, she giggled to the palace.

“Unto each as their need,” he softly resonated in her head.

The benches were gone and replaced by two wrought iron chairs that reminded Laura of the ones she’d sat on in cafés in Paris when her parents had had weekends off work. Arthur sat in one and in between them was a dainty round table holding tea and glistening glasses of iced water.

“Are you hungry?” suggested the palace.

“No, thank you,” said Laura, pouring herself a cup of Lapsang.

“Well, then, they will speak to you shortly.”

A few minutes later and Laura became aware that in front of them, in what looked like the centre of the room – though in truth, it was difficult to allocate a centre to a room that appeared to have no boundaries – stood an imposing stone dais. Presently, on top of the dais, there was a faint shuffling and then Laura heard a much grander voice than the palace’s pounding through the chamber.

“Thank you for coming. We have a favour to ask you.”

On the dais a light came on and Laura could see only a screen.

“Something has been taken from us and we must have it returned. Without it, our palace will continue to weaken and with him, so will we.”

The voice paused for a moment, before continuing, “For now we may not leave the palace and that is why you must help us. There is only so much Arthur may do; he is just a boy.”

“But I am just a girl!” exclaimed Laura.

“True,” allowed a second voice, female this time, yet speaking so curtly that it was hardly gentler. “But that is one thing for a start that you offer that he does not. Until tonight, I was the only female in this place and I cannot leave the palace. Some tasks will require a woman’s touch. This will not be difficult, though it may occasionally be dangerous. It is simply that we do not have anyone else who could do the job.”

Suddenly, Laura felt a lot less important. There were thousands of girls out there where she came from.

“Not anyone may come here,” the palace soothed, “I didn’t listen; I can know how you feel without eavesdropping.” Laura grinned: he had pre-empted her objection perfectly. “You will have to wait to understand some things,” he finished.

At this point, Arthur stood up and addressed the marble lattice that hid ‘them’: “She’s decided. We will find the heart of the palace within three nights.”

“Within three nights,” the woman replied, her voice filled with bitterness, “we may no longer be able to sustain the palace and ourselves and it may be too late to make the sacrifice.”