Natalie vs her Parents chapter 15

Another tough chapter I wrote.

Chapter 15

When we got home, I took my stuff and went inside. I took my shoes off and went in the family room right away and turned to James Bond. Dad was already home sitting in the family room waiting tapping his fingers on the arm of the couch and tapping his feet on the carpet.

“Natalie, what happened? Are you okay?” he asked. “I heard you were wrongly arrested.”

“They treated me bad,” I said as I went in the kitchen to get something to eat.

“What did they do to you?” Dad asked.

I got the mint ice cream out of the freezer.

I told him from the part I was at the parade and then going back to the car and Matthew was no where to be found and then I wandered out into the street without looking and some car slammed on its breaks and the man gets out of the car and yells if I am retarded. I told him I was looking for my brother and sorry. Then I was stopped by the police and they asked for my name and last name and my age and asked if I was drinking. Then they made me walk in a straight line and said I failed the test. They accused me of not cooperating when I was answering their questions and they arrested me. Then I soiled myself in the backseat of their car and they left me in it and told me it was gross and disgusting and sucks to be me. They took my fingerprints, mugshot, asked me a lot of questions, laughed at my diapers and said they thought all kids were out of them by age three, asked me if I was slow when I was told to hold my arms up and I held them too high. They also said I was too slow to even know how to use the bathroom or too drunk. Then they locked me in the cell and left me in my messy diaper.

“Oh my god,” said Dad sounding very disgusted. “They should not have treated you that way. They were supposed to be professionals. I hope one bad enocunter with them won’t effect your whole view on police officers because those ones are were the minority. Your mum has been arrested before and has had some encounter with officers and they have never treated her that bad. In fact they were helpful and went down to her level and trying to keep her calm and have taken her to the hospital or called me or her doctor.”

“So why did they treat me bad?” I asked.

“I don’t know but it sounded like they didn’t do their jobs and they had no proof you were drinking, You had no alcohol on you, you didn’t smell like booze, they didn’t bother to search you for drugs or booze, didn’t give you the breathalyzer test, they just arrested you without any evidence of you drinking.”

“But I failed the test,” I said.

“That’s nothing, that still isn’t enough to arrest someone. There are searches, breathalyzer tests, checking your eyes, looking at how you are dressed, looking at your skin color, your teeth, lack of odor on you, and you said they did none of that. All you were doing was looking for your brother and you ran out in traffic because you were too focused on your brother. But there was no wreck and no one was hurt right?”

“No,” I said.

“Was there a car accident?”

“No,” I said.

“Okay, so no one was hurt then. That was still not enough to arrest you and still not enough for them to say you were drinking.”

“How did you know I was arrested?”

“Your mum called and was very upset and I told her to just go in and get you out and bring in the medical records in case they want proof, pay the bail if she has to and we’ll take care of it later. Just go in and get you and don’t fight and argue with them and I am on my way home.”

“Has Mom ever been treated badly by officers in our town?” I asked.

“No. It just sounds like they have some bad officers they have hired or weren’t properly trained and then making fun of you for your medical condition was very uncalled for and very unprofessional. Now that really makes me angry. Doing that to a child? I am going to be filing a complaint about them to the police department.”

“Dad, what are the Keystone cops?” Matthew asked.
“Matthew, not right now, we’re talking” said Dad.

“But Mom said we have the Keystone Cops,” he said.

“The Keystone Cops?” Dad asked. “The Keystone Cops? Mom actually called them that?”

“Yes,” I said.

Dad laughed. “They really are the Keystone Kops. Natalie, you were arrested by the Keystone Cops, not by the Saltwater Police.”

“What are they?” Matthew asked.

“I’ll tell you. The Keystone Cops was a comedy slap stick movies they made back in the days. They were silent films about these incompetent officers. Couldn’t do their jobs, did dumb stuff. I love your Mum’s humor. How did they react to it when she called them that?”

“Nothing,” I said.

“They made fun you for wearing diapers?” Matthew asked.
“Yes,” I said.

“Isn’t that like making fun of someone for having to take insulin or making fun of someone for taking one of those breather things when they have troubles breathing?”

“Yes,” said Dad.

“They really are The Keystone Kops,” said Matthew

“Yeah we sure have them in our town,” said Dad.

“Natalie, did they have any medical staff check you out?” he asked me.

“No,” I said.

“Did they ever bring in anyone else to the cell?”

“Just some other kid,” I said.

“A boy for a girl?”

“Girl.”

“What was she in for do you know?”

“Shoplifting.”

“Did she really do it?”

“Yes”

“How did the officers treat her?”

“Better than me,” I said.

“So what did they do to her?”

“Just brought her in and told her her parents were on their way and locked her in the cell with me.”

“That’s it?” said Dad.

“Yes.”

“Did they ever give you one phone call to make?”

“No,” I said.

“Did they ever let you change your diaper?”

“No.”

“So they just made you stay in that mess?” Dad asked.

“Yes,” I said.

“They should have let you change. Man I really need a beer. I feel so shaky inside.”

“That means you’re addicted,” said Matthew.

“No I’m not,” said Dad.

“But I learned at school about drugs and alcohol and one of the signs of addiction is if you don’t smoke or drink or take drugs, you get shaky inside or clammy or feel sick to your stomach, fatigue-”

“No I am just upset over all this so I need a beer to relax but your Mum dumped it again. God she is so Rain Man.”

“What’s Rain Man?” Matthew asked.

“It’s a movie about an autistic guy who lives in a institution and his brother kidnaps him because he had money he wanted from him and he takes him across the country to his home,” I said.“It stars Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise.”

“You’ve seen the movie?” Dad asked.

“No, I just heard about it online,” I said. “On brainpop.”

“Okay, I was just making a reference to your Mum’s behavior,” said Dad.

“What behavior?” I asked.

“In the movie, the Rain Man guy wouldn’t fly because the airline his brother was going to take crashed so he thought all those airlines were dangerous and he wouldn’t take any other airline because they all have also a crashed so they were all “dangerous” to fly. There was a car wreck on the road, he thought that road was dangerous to drive on so he wouldn’t get back in the car so he just walked on the shoulder. The brother got burned with hot water when he was a baby, it was dangerous for him to take a shower so he wouldn’t let him shower or he would burn himself. Your Aunt drank and so did her ex husband, he got abusive and would beat her, she started drinking and started doing child neglect, so your Mum thinks drinking is dangerous and it will turn me into a mean man and I will start beating her and be just like her ex brother in law. She’s gone Rain Man. Good thing she is a very good driver and doesn’t have to shop at K Mart for underwear because K Mart sucks.”

“Why does it suck?” Matthew asked.

“It’s a joke. I’m only joking about all this. I am just making a joke about her behavior about this whole beer thing. Rain Man says he is a very good driver but all he could do was drive down the drive way and your Mum can drive anywhere. He also had to get his boxers at K Mart and his brother taught him that K Mart sucks and taught him to say it. Just like the Keystone Cop thing is a joke.”

“I thought they really were the Keystone Cops?” I said.

“No, they were just police officers who didn’t do their job right. Done in poor professional manner. When Mum called them that, she was referring to the old movies and she was comparing them to those incompetent officers. She was implying they were stupid and incompetent and couldn’t do their job. She was insulting them and they deserved it. That’s what I have always liked about her; not afraid to speak her mind and say things the way it is. She says things what lot of people are thinking. But unfortunately she doesn’t always keep her mouth shut when she should and she doesn’t have a very good social filter or very good tact. It’s a good and bad thing. Natalie, I need you to write down everything that’s happened. What you were doing, what they did when they stopped you, questions they asked you, things they told you to do, what you had on you, how they treated you, write about the whole incident from what you were doing before they stopped you to until your mother came and got you. Write down what you told me.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because you may forget all these little details, our minds do weird things. We tend to forget the little details of situations so we must write it down so we can use it when we file a complaint.”

“But I won’t forget, this was so bad, how can I ever forget?” I said.

“You’d be surprised. I am going to give you a mission sent from MI6, your mission is to write all this down and give it to me,” said Dad.
“Is this James Bond?” I asked.

“Yes this is James Bond, and I was sent to give you a mission from M. He wants you-”

“She,” I corrected.

“M was originally a guy in the early Bond movies until GoldenEye,” said Dad.

Oh he was talking about the old Bond movies.

“She wants you to write about this whole incident and give it to me, don’t let those people down. James never fails his mission.”

I see he had changed him to a she now.

“Okay,” I said. “Gee you know how to get me to do stuff.”

“I always have to use your favorite movies or video games to get you to do stuff and James Bond makes it a lot easier because he always has missions. I better go see your mother. I bet she has had a rough evening and dinner never got cooked so I don’t blame her. She looked exhausted and beat when she walked in the door.”

Dad got up and left the room.

I opened the ice cream finally and got out a ice cream scooper and bowl and scooped myself some in the bowl. I was starving because I had not eaten all day except for that candy. James Bond was still playing on TV I had forgotten about at the moment because I was still too focused on the whole arrest thing. Matthew got himself some ice cream too, the rainbow kind. He grabbed another ice cream scooper from the drawer and grabbed a plastic bowl out of the cupboard. He always uses plastic dishes when he gets himself some food. I went in the family room and watched the movie.

I heard Mom and Dad talking in the other room. I didn’t really pay attention to what they were saying.

“Good thing I brought in her old school records and medical reports just to prove she has a disability and wasn’t intoxicated so they would drop all the charges and release her without bail,” said Mom. “The officer even thought I should have to make her carry a card or something if she can’t act ‘normal,’” Mom said the word in a different tone.

“Playing the devil’s advocate, I think he does have a point,” said Dad. “Maybe she should start wearing a bracelet or something and keep a card with her at all times when she goes out if officers are going to be too incompetent.”

“What?” said Mom being all shocked.“Just because the officers were too dumb to know she wasn’t drinking and they couldn’t tell she was under lot of stress?”

“Anita, you carry one and so does your brother, lot of people carry one. It’s no big deal. Besides, think of it as protection, if she runs into this again, this time they won’t have an excuse because she had the bracelet and if they ask for for ID, she can hand them the card and they would know. They wouldn’t be able to play the “we didn’t know” card like they did at the station and you brought in those papers like I told you to and it took away their excuse so they will let her out without bail and drop the charges. You played their game.”

“Can you tell me again about what was it like being arrested?” Matthew asked me again in the family room.

“Why?” I asked.

I was still eating my ice cream.

“Because it was cool.”

“No it wasn’t,” I said. “It was very scary, I didn’t know when I was getting out or if I was going to come home or not or if I was going to juvenile hall.”

“The officer was so stupid, he thought you were drinking,” said Matthew. “What was it like riding in the police car?”

“Embarrassing,” I said. “I didn’t want anyone who knew me see me in there because they would have thought I did something wrong and think I was a criminal.”

“Did they put handcuffs on you?”

“Yes.”

“What was it like?”

“It hurt,” I said. “They dug into my skin.”

“What was it like being in the cell?”

“It looked like a normal room.”

“What did it look like?”

“It had benches and a metal toilet and a sink, trash can, huge water jug and cups, and it had some engraved graffiti all over.”

“Did it have bars?”

“No.”

“What was the food like?”

“I didn’t have food.”

“So you had no dinner?” Matthew asked.

“Nope,” I said.

“Was there anyone else there?”

“Yes.”

“Who?”

“Other officers and this girl from Kelly’s school.”

“Was it one of her friends?”

“No.”

“Why was she in jail?”

“She shoplifted.”

“Why did she shoplift?”

“It was only ninety nine cents.”

“She got in trouble for stealing something that’s not even a buck?” Matthew asked.

“Yep.”

“What was the item?”

“A candy bar.”

“Why didn’t she just eat it at the store?”

“I don’t know.”

Matthew asked me more questions about being in jail. I also told him about Mom yelling at the officer when she came in and got me and how I trashed the cell and Mom changing me and throwing it away in the cell.

“She should have smeared your poop on the walls, I bet that would have been funny,” said Matthew. “I wonder what the police would have thought if they saw they had to clean up human shit?”

“I don’t know. I thought about doing it myself but I didn’t want to be seen butt naked and I didn’t have another diaper to change into.”

“You should have done it when you left.”

“I never thought of it.”

Then all of a sudden, I heard Mom and Dad fighting again and I could hear every word.

“This is just great,” said Dad not sounding happy. “First our daughter gets kicked out of school and we had a window we had to pay to replace, and we are currently working on enrolling her into that school, work has been very stressful, and now we have this to deal with. Can things get any worse?”

“They dropped the charges thank goodness so at least we don’t have to worry about getting a lawyer and everything,” said Mom.
“Unless they throw this whole case out and not doing anything about it. She can’t seem to stay out of trouble,” said Dad.

“It’s not her fault,” said Mom.

“I know it’s not her fault. That is why I think her having that medical bracelet or a necklace would help because she is at an age now where someone might think she is drunk if she has an episode or does anything that looks suspicious and you know what happens when she gets stressed out or gets too upset and you never know it could happen at the wrong time. We don’t want this happening again do we?”

“No,” said Mom.

“But if even if we did report police misconduct, the worst that can happen is them getting a slap on the wrist and bam they are still working. Like the time we complained to the school board about Natalie’s teacher and all they did was suspended her for a week and paid us hush money and moved her to another class and made us take the IEP just so we could help her. It was as if it was her fault all those things happened to her.”

“Well she did have something and we wouldn’t even admit it. We didn’t even want to believe she had something; getting kicked out of daycare, getting kicked out of gymnastics, kids not wanting to play with her and parents telling their kids to not be around her, having problems in her classroom but the teacher was also the problem, not understanding the rules of tee ball when she played so I had to stand out in the field with her, the church fire and the psychiatrist saying she was showing some impairment and those were all red flags we ignored and then we really got her attention after that car accident. It was as if it was a message we better get her help and get out of la la land and now look what it has left her?” said Mom.

“We just wanted to believe she was a brat, very special, very smart, very stubborn and rigid, bossy and wanting things her way and be in control, and it was just everyone else with the problem, not hers. All kids develop at their own pace, some can do things quicker than others or do things sooner than others or later than others, some are smarter and brighter and understand things better and sooner than others, they all have their own personality and their own quirks and we didn’t compare her to other kids or to her brother and sister,” said Dad. “So of course we wouldn’t even guess she had something or even be concerned about her development.”

“It was other people with the problem too,” said Mom. “It takes two. The person with the issues and other people to be understanding and accepting and help them.”

“Yes but the person with the issues also need to help themselves,” said Dad.

“And that person can’t really help themselves if other people don’t cooperate. Put it like this, let’s say everyone got rid of ramps and elevators, door openers and handicapped stalls, now the wheelchair people would have problems going to places because nothing would be accommodating their needs, now we wouldn’t say it’s them with the problem would we? It would be the rest of the world with the problem, not them.”

“I see your point and you’re right. Not only would they have a problem, parents of small children would too because how would they get up the stairs with a stroller? They would have to leave their small children alone in the restroom when they go because there would be no handicapped stalls. Even people with weak legs would have a hard time going up the stairs would also have a problem too. Thank god we have laws for that.”

“And if our daughter gets bullied as an adult, all she would have to do is report it to the police because harassment is against the law,” said Mom.

“And her life would get better after she gets out of school,” said Dad. “Hopefully it will be better once she goes to the new school. I just hope they can take her or she is stuck at her old school.”

“There is still work and remember the crap I had to face there too? Don’t think all the problems will end Glen when she is through with high school.”

“You have a hard time getting along with people; you always need to be right so you will fight and argue and you don’t pick your battles, you get over stimulated by light or noise or smells and you have breakdowns, and you always got too stressed out at work, doesn’t mean our daughter will too,” said Dad.

“And people also treated me like garbage,” said Mom.

“Yes but they were jerks and I don’t know the whole story, only your side but having the same issues at every job you have had? Either you thought they were mean to you or you had bad luck. God I need a beer but you tossed it all down the drain remember?”

“You don’t need to drink. Read instead or watch TV or do something you like doing to relax.”

“I’m craving it, I need a beer or I will go crazy. I feel stressed without it and shaky inside.”

“See, you are addicted, you do have a problem. You have been withdrawn, all we ever do is fight, so you turn to alcohol for comfort and you have gotten addicted. Whatever was going on, you turned to alcohol and you got addicted and that has added to your problem.”

“No, you added to it by dumping it,” said Dad.

“You have always had problems with alcoholism and you would cut back remember? Remember the time you liked getting drunk and you would drink so much you would do stupid shit and wet yourself or pee in spots thinking it was the toilet and then you realized you had to cut back on it and do it less and you did. Now you are doing it again and this time you are moody and get mad easily and are short tempered.”

“At least I am not getting pissed and doing dumb shit like I used to, I know my limits,” said Dad. “And I am not addicted. This is totally different now than before.”

“But you’re home less often and you have been avoiding the whole family,” Mom pointed out. “You need to find your limits again.”

“And what have we been doing together over the years? We have practically been housemates and I have been your carer. I have basically replaced your sister and family to taking care of you and I have five kids instead of four.”

“What do you mean being my carer and having five children?” Mom yelled.

“I work full time and over time and pay all the bills and you do nothing,” said Dad.

“I’m a stay at home mom and I take care of the house,” said Mom.“How is that any different than other moms doing it.”

“They get jobs when all their kids are in school full day.”

“I thought you were fine with me not working?”

“I am because you can’t even have a real job and you had a hard time with employment and I knew you had problems since the first day we met so I wasn’t expecting to have a normal wife you know?”

“What are you calling normal?” Mom yelled.

“I mean normal as in like other women, you’re different.”

“I can go and get a job and put up with crap,” said Mom. “It’s part of life.”

“And you end up quitting.”

“Because I know they will fire me and I have you. Are you going to throw me out once all our kids are done with school?”

“No I won’t,” said Dad. “Marriage is a commitment and you don’t get in a relationship with someone then leave them when you don’t need them anymore or because you got tired of their problem or because they got cancer all of a sudden or suffered nerve damage or became disabled.”

“So you need me?” Mom asked.

“No I didn’t mean it like that. Everyone needs someone, like you need me, I need you. Parents need their kids, kids need their teachers, teachers need their students, we need our parents. We all need something and people just need marriages and relationship and sex and some need to be single.”

“But are we happy Glen? Are we happy in this marriage together?”

Right now, no," said Dad. “Okay back on topic, I just don’t believe this. They arrest our daughter while she was looking for her brother and they make fun of her but yet they arrest another kid for shoplifting while they arrested her for looking for her brother? Jesus, why weren’t you with them? You just had to wait in the car.”

“I was nervous,” said Mom. “But I still took them and still dropped Kelly off at her friend’s.”

“I say we sue their asses,” said Dad.

“I just want something to be done about it when we file a complaint to the head department about them,” said Mom. “I don’t want a lawsuit if something is done about it.”

“Unless they want to pay us some hush money so we wouldn’t take it to court like the school district did with us when that teacher was mistreating her at school and it was already December by the time we found out because she never told us. They didn’t want it ending up in the media or facing any lawsuits so they gave us hush money, moved her to a different class, and made us take the IEP. Also Natalie is at an age now where her behavior will be suspicious because she has a hard time with body language and if she ever encounters a cop again, the way she process things, even when she goes under stress, it gets worse so she is even more literal, and has a harder time understanding the questions, we will have to get her a card now like we did for you,” said Dad. “That way if any other officer approaches her and asks for ID, she can show them the card. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about this again.”

“And what if they don’t ask her for any ID?” Mom asked.

“Then she can just show it to them when they start asking her questions or pulling her aside but I doubt this will happen again but just to be safe, she will have one. You don’t have to use yours often so I doubt she will too. Besides she used to wear that bracelet with her name and number on it because she always wandered off and didn’t know her number and address or last name and couldn’t really answer questions.”

“Yeah that was another red flag there,” said Mom.

“I sometimes wonder how much of her behavior is just learned behavior rather than just a disability,” said Dad.

“Kelly and Brian don’t act that way,” said Mom. “I am sure they would be acting like her too if it was all learned behavior.”

“No, she has always copied people, always mimicking their behavior so sticking her in that special ed class would have made her act autistic and retarded and have other behavior problems because she would be surrounded by students with it and we didn’t want that. We had to watch what we say to her or else she would parrot it and not understand the double standards but it was nearly damn impossible. Remember how she used to spank other kids because that is what we did to her? But yet she didn’t do it at school. She was smart enough to know what she could get away with it at and where she couldn’t get away with it at. Then she was always taking things from her little brother and sister because that was what we did to her for a consequence. See what I mean by learned behavior? How much of the problems she has is due to learned behavior?”

“But she grew out of those things,” said Mom.

“Yes but how much more of her problems will she actually outgrow?”

“Yeah I am sure she learned to have poor coordination, learned to take things literal, learned to have breakdowns, learned to have routines and not like surprises, learned to have a learning disability, learned to be incontinent, learned to have problems with socialization, learned to have social-”

“That’s not what I meant,” Dad shouted.

“Well you’re being ridiculous,” Mom shouted back. “You’re blaming her problems on me again aren’t you? What about Matthew’s? Are his problems my fault too? Maybe I should blame Kelly’s on yours. It’s your fault she had a hard time with reading and writing, she learned that from you. Hey where did you learn to have compulsions and intrusive thoughts? Who taught you those? Hey why hasn’t Natalie learned yours yet?”

“Oh Nita, shut up,” Dad yelled.“God, sometimes I hate your humor. Just nothing but mocking. Always making fun of people when you’re “right” and they’re “wrong.” You do it to me too.”

Mom shouted back and so did Dad.

I hated them fighting about me and hearing everything that is wrong with me and being a problem to everyone, now I was making them fight. Why can’t I be normal and what is so hard about it? Why are things I do a big deal but isn’t for everyone else when they do it? So I came in crying. “They did have proof,” I yelled. “I failed the straight line test so they thought I was drinking. It’s all my fault. I should have watched where I was going, I should have held onto Matthew’s hand or keep watching him as I went back to the car. Stop fighting about me and saying how much of a problem I was and everything that is wrong with me. If I am such a problem for you guys, why not just get rid of me, put me up for an adoption?”

“Natalie,” said Dad. He was going to say more but Matthew came in the room shouting too.

“No, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have taken the short cut and expected my sister to do what I would do. I should have stayed with her or make her go in the alley with me.”

“No no no,” Dad shouted. “It was neither of your kids’ fault and we are not putting anyone up for an adoption. We love you kids too much and anyone who puts their kid up for an adoption because they were not perfect is a coward and should have never had kids in the first place. No child is perfect and they will always give you some sort of problem. It doesn’t matter if the kid isn’t special needs or if they are or if they have a medical condition or if they don’t or if they have a behavior issue or if they don’t or if they have an illness or if they don’t.”

“Was it Mom’s fault?” Matthew asked.

Dad paused. He didn’t answer.

“You think it’s mine don’t you?” Mom yelled. “C’mon say it, I know that is what you’re thinking.”

“No it’s not,” said Dad.

“Yes it is,” Mom yelled.

“No, you think it’s your fault so you think that is what I am thinking,” said Dad.

“No, you always blame everything on me,” said Mom. “It’s my fault you’re drinking more, it’s my fault you’re working more, it’s my fault you don’t want to come home and now all of a sudden I annoy you now when things about me used to not bother you.”
Mom left the room and went upstairs.

Dad put his hand on his forehead and sighed.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he said. "She is just high maintenance. “Remember, I have five kids instead of four.”

“So why’d you marry her?” I ask.

“Because there are good things about her despite her challenges. Everyone has problems, everyone has faults. No one is perfect. If you try and find someone without problems and don’t have anything you don’t like, you will never find someone.”

Then he looked out the window. “Kelly’s back already,” he said.

What was she doing home already? I thought she was staying at her friend’s?

The front door opened and Kelly came in with her stuff. “Natalie,” she said. “I heard you got arrested. Everyone was talking about it so I had to come home.”

“How did they know about it?” I asked.

I was shocked other people already knew. People that saw me getting arrested must have gone to the game and told everyone about it. This was not good. My life was probably over. I would be seen as a criminal from now on and my life would never be the same. I was not going to go to town ever again. Good thing I don’t go to my school anymore.

“I heard someone from my school got arrested for stealing and all her friends were talking about it at the game and someone else said someone saw you get busted. Also some officers were at the game and people over heard them say there was an arrest and some mother came in and chewed them out and she was so loud, everyone at the station could hear every word she was saying and a soiled adult diaper was left in the cell and the whole place was trashed.”

“She only yelled at the officer,” I said.“And I trashed the place.”

“Well your sister is fine now and we are going to be filing a complaint against the officers who arrested her and made fun of her,” said Dad.

“What did you do to get arrested Natalie?” Kelly asked.

“I was looking for my brother and a cop thought I was drunk,” I said.

“Why? Were you acting like a retard or what?”

“Kelly,” said Dad.

“Well she doesn’t always act normal.”

“That is enough,” Dad said again. “She wasn’t doing anything wrong. Just looking for her brother and stepped in front of a car.”
“Didn’t she look both ways?”

“It doesn’t matter. She wasn’t drinking and the officers didn’t bother having her take the breathalyzer test or check her eyes or search her on the spot. Just the Keystone Cops they are.”

“What are you doing home?” I asked. “You were supposed to be spending the night.”

“I heard you were arrested and I just had to come home and some kids were giving me a hard time about it. Just great, you and Matthew go to the parade alone and I tell you to not talk about James Bond or Zelda or that GoldenEye game and what do you do? You still embarrass me and do something retarded and can’t even keep track of your brother.”

“Kelly,” Dad shouted. “Stop calling your sister that.”

“This isn’t fair, she gets away with everything, if I ran out in traffic, you guys would be screaming at me about it and asking me what is wrong with me but her, nooo. Then she ruins my night because kids were teasing me about her and wouldn’t quit asking me about it and kids wouldn’t leave me alone. God even Veronica was there and she asked me about it too and now her little brother and sister know too. Pretty soon everyone in this neighborhood will know about it. People just love to gossip.”

I was not going to ever leave this house either if everyone in the neighborhood was going to find out too and other kids. Ellie and James (Veronica’s little brother and sister in case you didn’t know) already knew so they would probably tell all their friends and their neighbors and they would tell other people too in this neighborhood.

“No she does not get away with everything,” said Dad. “If she ran in traffic because she didn’t want to wait for the red light, then yeah we would be yelling at her too. No one forced you to come home. You could have just ignored all those people and called home to check on us and she didn’t ruin your night. You just chose to come home and not enjoy the game anymore.”

“You’re always telling us to “ignore it” “ignore it.” Well guess what Dad? It doesn’t work,” Kelly yelled. “Kids will still tease me about her. Why can’t she just be normal and stop ruining my life?”

“Why can’t you stop being a bitch?” I shouted back and shoved her. I didn’t like what she said about me. She shoved me back.
“Hey hey hey,” Dad shouted holding his arms out to keep us apart. “You two, stop. No talking to each other. Natalie, get back to your movie, Kelly, go upstairs. I don’t want another word out of you or you won’t see your friends for a week except for in school. We’ll talk later.”

“You’re not home much anyway so how are you going to keep me from breaking it?” said Kelly.

“I can tell Mom about it and she won’t let you see them for a week,” said Dad. “Last warning.”

Kelly rolled her eyes and grabbed her stuffed and went upstairs stomping her feet.

I went back in the family room to finish watching my movie. Kelly is so dumb sometimes, getting away with everything? Then why am I paying for a window I broke or had to do housework with my mother for a week when I got suspended and why have I even been sent to my room before or to the stairs or had my bike taken or the computer or TV or not being allowed to leave the yard? See, I have been punished before so how could I possibly get away with everything? I sat down and felt a sharp sting on my bottom. But I didn’t want to miss the rest of the movie so I stayed in it and ignored the stinging. I would wait until commercial. If I didn’t move my bottom around, it wouldn’t sting. I finished my ice cream and opened my back pack and took out my James Bond trivia cards. I started sorting them again on the coffee table.

Then Dad came back in the room and asked me if I have started my mission yet.

“No,” I said.

“Better do it now, the mission needs to be done by tomorrow or you will fail it.”

“Okay,” I said.

“Dad,” I said. “Am I really that bad for the whole family?”

“No you’re not. You don’t have very many problems. I’m sorry you had to hear all that and we should have done it in the garage or up in our bedroom or in the playroom or the guest room. We’re both just upset about this whole police thing. Things always sound bad than they really are but they’re not. So it’s always best to not take it literal when you over hear people fighting and them saying things while they’re upset.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because people tend to exaggerate when they are upset or say things they don’t mean because their feelings get in the way and they aren’t being rational. Plus anxiety can make things seem worse than they really are because that is what anxiety does to people. And negative things always stand out more than the good so it may seem like you have so many problems when you don’t. If all you did was say negative things about someone; things they do that annoy you, faults they have, mistakes they make, then they are going to sound like bad people.”

I felt a little better but I still knew I was a problem for everyone growing up. I was even a problem for Mrs. Penny so she kicked me out. I must be a problem for other kids too so they pick on me. I was not even allowed at my friends houses growing up and they say they had enough kids over already but yet let another kid in. I had a hard time over there anyway but at my house, no problem. Then I caused problems for the officers so they arrested me and I lost their respect so they made fun of me. Now my parents were going to be filing a complaint about them so now they were going to have problems from my parents now. I think Dad was lying to just make me feel better. But I still knew the truth. If I wasn’t a problem for anyone, I wouldn’t have gotten kicked out of places or picked on or banned from houses or rejected or get treated bad by my old teacher and have other kids dislike me. Now I have ruined Kelly’s night because other kids like to tease her about me. How can these not be a lot of problems? Or does Dad just not want to admit it? I bet no matter how much I change, I will still be a problem.
I kept on organizing my cards. Dad went upstairs to talk to Kelly about earlier.

Mission II
Meadow Creek
Saltwater, WA USA

Objectives:

Write out the whole incident about the police

It didn’t take me long to re organize the Bond trivia cards. I put my bowl in the dishwasher and Matthew’s too he left in the sink. I got a blank piece of paper from the printer my parents have in the kitchen. They have a computer down here too on the computer desk that is in the kitchen. My parents use it as a computer desk when it was meant to use for paying bills and for doing taxes. I grabbed a pen out of the drawer and went back to the family room and started to write. As I wrote, I couldn’t even write in a straight line so it was all crooked. I had to keep erasing and re write sentences because I would forget a detail and had to add that in. Then I have had enough of the writing and the erasing so I went back in the kitchen and turned the computer on so I could type the story and then write it down. Even the commercial had came on but I didn’t want to stop and take a changing break because I was too focused on my mission. I ignored the stinging and sat still so I wouldn’t feel it much.

Then Dad came back downstairs. He grabbed his coat and headed out again. “Where are you going?” I asked.

He didn’t answer. He just went out to the garage. I heard him getting in his car and the garage door opening and off he went.

I kept on working on my mission. I am not sure how long it took me but I got it done and then I had to copy it on the piece of paper. But I decided to just print it out instead to save me the time. So I printed it and just left it in the printer. I exited out of Student Writing Center and went to start and shut down. I finally changed my diaper during the commercial. I saw I had a rash on my bottom already and it was very red it looked like a sore spot. Kelly was already sleeping and she didn’t even wake up when I changed. I put rash cream on and I peed on the carpet. I hate peeing while I am changing. I had to use a wipe to wipe the pee off my skin and I used one of our dirty clothes to soak the pee from the carpet. Then I tossed it back in the hamper. I put a clean diaper on. I didn’t bother with double because I was going to shower after James Bond ends so this one was going to tie me over. The case of diapers still hadn’t come yet. I hope they will tomorrow.

Re: Natalie vs her Parents chapter 15

Not a bad chapter, well done. I think it turned out pretty good! Keep it up!

BabyChris121675

It was a pretty good chapter. Dad might have to watch his drinking a little more but overall I think he is doing a pretty good job of handling things. It is allot to deal with having both a wife and child with special needs in the house. Mom also does a good job keeping dad in line when she needs to. Looking forward to reading more.

Pretty much everyone in the house is special needs. Brian is the only one who isn’t but suffers depression because of it so that is why he is on medicine for it. Now Kelly might have to get drugged for it too soon. Mother, Natalie, and her brother all have the same condition I never mentioned in the story but Natalie is the least effected. Her main problem is narrow minded kids in her school and the stupid principal who thinks it’s all her fault and if she be normal, kids wouldn’t pick on her. Like the mother says, it takes two. The person to help themselves and the other person to be understanding and accepting and accommodate. Now Natalie doesn’t have to worry about those people anymore.

Funny thing, when my family and I moved to Montana, boom, lot of my issues were gone. Because the school was better, kids left me alone and didn’t harass me. The school was small. My parents didn’t want me in a huge school. Natalie just has a different life than I do because I wanted it that way. I will never know for sure what would have happened if we stayed living in Washington but I guess the bullying may have gotten worse. Maybe worse than Natalie’s or just as bad. At least she doesn’t get beaten up or have her stuff get taken. At least things like facebook or myspace didn’t exist then or youtube because that is where kids get cyber bullied these days from bullies at school and teens were just starting to have cell phones then. I remember that in high school. Plus if they don’t know your screen name and if you don’t have a cell phone, no way can kids harass you at home. I wonder how on earth do kids from school know their victims cell number and screen name, they must have give it away or how else would they have gotten it?