Pupils start school still in nappies

I came across the article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/primaryeducation/5956231/Pupils-start-school-still-in-nappies.html

I wonder if it is just becoming more acceptable.

1 Like

Re: Pupils start school still in nappies

It’s definitely becoming more acceptable, I remember when I started school in the first year there were very few accidents and nobody not potty trained. Parents obviously became more lax towards potty training because by my final year there were a couple of first years still in pull ups.

Talking to a friend who works in the first year class she told me she had at least 2 students coming in September still not potty trained. Apparently some never even bother to mention it though which I guess is why they are working on a better system.

…that’s insane.

Maybe those kids should start changing their own diapers. I have an online friend who was born with a very small bladder and she wore pull ups and she changed every two hours and she changed them herself in the bathroom. She was bladder incontinent up till age 12 after she had a bladder transplant and it took her four months to get control. Even when she was in second grade, she was changing her own diapers.

and kids who have poor motor skills. Most likely special needs kids.

what gets me is how they seem to contrive that not teaching a child potty training is the same as having a disability. my understanding is teh children in question can be trained just that the haven’t yet

I think the parents can just lie about their kid having a bladder problem just so they can enroll their kid in school but that hurts the kids who do actually have bladder problems and have to wear diapers. It’s going to make it harder for parents to enroll their kids who have bladder problems in school because the prinicpal is going to think they are one of those parents who have that excuse just so they wouldn’t do their job potty training them. That’s not fair to the kids who do actually have that problem vs the ones who do have normal bladders but aren’t toilet trained because their parents never bothered. Sure the parents can shove their doctor records in the principal’s face to prove their child does have a genuine problem with their bladder but people can believe whatever they want. The principal could just think it’s another BS record and the parents have tricked the doctor by lying to them and making up stories about their child. I know one parent on Daily Diapers that did that. She kept a fake diary and said they had over active bladders and she went to the doctor with her kids telling the doctor about it and now they have fake medical records because she and her husband had tricked the doctor. Now the school had to take the kids when she enrolled them because of the fake records she had for them. She did it because she has to wear diapers herself and she didn’t think it be fair to get her kids out of them if she gets to wear and they knew she wore because she has walked around in them around them because where she comes from, being nude in front of your family is acceptable and being naked in public is acceptable while here in the USA it is not.

Sure the parents can shove their doctor records in the principal’s face to prove their child does have a genuine problem with their bladder but people can believe whatever they want. The principal could just think it’s another BS record and the parents have tricked the doctor by lying to them and making up stories about their child.

What you describe here is about as frequent as the ice age (slight exaggeration). A child with bladder problems goes through several tests, one of them is called a Cystoscopy. This tests both the capacity of the bladder, and the flow rate, and the urologist actually visualizes the urethral sphincter, and instructs the child to stop the flow. It is impossible to fake a small capacity during this test, and would be difficult (and uncomfortable) to fake a restricted flow. It is possible to fake a weak sphincter, but not consistently, because of the way nerves work.

If it were an adult attempting to fake their own records, I can definitely see how that could be done if they were determined enough. But getting a child to do so would be very difficult. Especially a young child, because they don’t have enough knowledge about how the process works to BS their way through.

Also, the only way you could fake a record like the one you describe in your post is to go to a General practitioner that doesn’t refer you to a Urologist, but diagnoses the issue him or herself. That’s rare because by doing that, the physician is opening themselves up for a lawsuit.

BB

It’s possible the woman could be a story teller. I had suspected it just by reading some of her posts and they sounded unreal. Her saying her husband uses a stroller for her because it’s cheaper than a wheel chair got me skeptical. She does have MS so it makes it harder for her to walk to places and walk as long as everyone else. No she did not mean handicapp stroller, she meant a baby stroller. Handicapp strollers are also expensive. I don’t think her kids did the talking, she did and they didn’t say anything. She just kept a fake diary and told the doctor about it and their problems so she wouldn’t have to potty train them and she can enroll them in school and not get charged with child abuse or neglect. Now she says one of them is starting to show an interest in the bathroom. I asked her about what is she going to do and how is she going to explain it now, one day the child has an over active bladder and then all of a sudden he or she is able to use the bathroom and control their bladder and all of a sudden they have no active bladder. Someone else responded telling me it is possible to over come it with medicine. So I guess she isn’t going to be caught in her lie. She can just say her kid is on medication for it and he or she is seeing if he/she can overcome it.

BB, I think the point is not that the child would willingly fake bladder weakness etc. but that the parents just wouldn’t bother to train them and then fake a doctor’s note to absolve themselves of responsibility.

First off, let me apologize for resurrecting a month old post.

I just felt the urge to comment on the poor daughter. She now is in a newspaper with her mother announcing to the world that she’s a bedwetter and was only recently toilet trained. Did nobody stop and think that it might be embarrassing for the girl to know that her secret (I’m assuming it was supposed to be somewhat secret, anyway. I know I try to keep it as secret as I possibly can) will now be forever posted online where anyone can access it?

Maybe now she’ll try harder :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, the only people she’s going to (really) care about knowing are going to be her friends, and I’m not sure how many 7 year olds browse through the telegraph’s primary education news section.

I know I know, all it takes is one, but they obviously assumed the risk was acceptable, besides the woman would have (hopefully) talked with her daughter about it beforehand.

She’ll live. Aged 7, she’ll live. 11, another matter.

I think, in all fairness that that statement brought some confusion due to a cultural difference. Brits will use “brilliant” to indicate exceptional performance with a particular task or series of them, not alluding to intelligence at all.

Just FYI,

BB

Correct, BB.

I think we’re maybe paying more attention to something in the paper than 99.99999999% of readers.

Millions of kids wet the bed so I doubt it do any effect on the kid. I wouldn’t be surprised if half of the second graders in a classroom are bed wetters.

I’d agree, Spokane. Speaking of which, one of my former 1st grade teachers said that 5 of her kids weren’t potty trained, and 2 wore training pants. Maybe this is a sign of things to come. I remember a couple my friend(who was a girl) was still in diapers when I was in first grade. She was one of very few back then. I also recall one time when swe were at recess she ran to the side of our school where no one could see her, and she was crying because she wet herself and she was ashamed. I consoled her and, to make her feel better, I invited her over for a sleep over(I know it’s weird for a 6-year-old boy to ask a 6-year-old girl to a sleep over, but I knew that cootie crap wasn’t real) and to show her there was no shame in still being in diapers, I wore one with her(I asked my mom beforehand, who agreed without hesitation). She smiled and gave me a kiss on the cheek. My mom(god bless her) also takled to her and said that some kids develop faster than other. I’m not sure if she understood it, but it made her feel better. I don’t know if this does the discussion any good, but that’s what this reminded me of.

Hard to quantify exactly what does a thread ‘good’.

Lazy parenting imo

Great job on the useless necroposting!