Reaper (Halloween Short Story)

This one breaks from the heightened depravity…the next one is the last and comes correct with the “fucked”. There’s your warning. :slight_smile:

Reaper
By: Dementia’s Knight

“Trick or treat!” the small group of children in front of her exclaimed happily as the front door opened.

The plump woman in the doorway stood with a smile plastered on her face as she beheld her young costumed visitors. “My goodness,” she began as she placed a hand to the chest of her Halloween themed sweater as the small plastic pumpkins adorning it smiled along with her as their LED eyes flashed red, “what a scary bunch you are!” she said before laughing gleefully at her own statement.

In unison the kids all held their bags up to receive the bounty that this woman was ready to bestow upon them. One by one they got their candy and said their thanks before turning around and heading back to the sidewalk out front of the house to continue their quest for sugar and chocolate.

The Halloween sweater woman sighed wistfully as she turned to go back into the house, wishing that she had children of her own to dress up and parade around rather than just decorating herself and her cats in seasonal garb.

She cleared her throat and stepped up to the bottom step of the porch, her plastic jack o’ lantern pail held out to catch her own bounty of treats. “Umm, trick or treat.” She said quietly as she tried and failed to shake off the foolish feelings that were rising up in her as she realized that this woman was going to, more than likely, be “one of those people”.

The woman turned around and the smile she’d worn when she greeted her previous visitors faded instantly. “Aren’t you a little old to be trick or treating?” the woman asked as she snottily cocked her head as if doing so would somehow make the girl she was looking at realize the error of her ways and run off.

This was usually the point where her quick wit and sharp tongue would act and cause the door to be slammed in her face, but she fought that back and decided to play nice with the woman. “It’s my belief that Halloween is an all age’s holiday ma’am.” She said with as sweet a smile as she could muster.

Halloween sweater lady scoffed. “Does that ever work on anyone?” she asked.

Her smile disappeared. “Well that depends, does having a house full of cats make you feel better about not being good enough for human companionship?” she asked.

Predictably the door slammed a moment after the words had left the girl’s mouth and the porch light turned off to leave her standing in the dark of the front yard. With a sigh she turned and headed back to the sidewalk. She held her empty pail out so that it clattered hollowly against the picket fences she passed by on her way back home.

“Back so soon honey?” her mother asked as she walked dejectedly into the house.

She nodded and sighed. “Another wonderful year of stuck up jerks giving me dirty looks instead of candy.” She said.

Her mother set her book down and got up from the couch. “Well if it makes you feel any better you can go outside and ring the doorbell and I’ll fill your pail up.” She offered with a sympathetic smile.

She smiled at her mother. “I think that might be the most depressing idea you’ve ever had mom.” She said.

Her mother hugged her. “Don’t let it get you down baby.” She told her. “For what it’s worth I think you look absolutely adorable this year.” She added.

“Thanks mom.” She said with another smile. “I think I’m gonna just go to bed and dream of a world where twenty year old girls are not looked down upon for their habit of embracing youthful activities.” She added before kissing her mother on the cheek and heading up the stairs.

Watching her downtrodden daughter ascend the stairs in her Halloween costume reminded her of all the Halloween’s that she’d come home with a full bucket of candy and a smile on her face and how long it had been since that smile had been seen after trick or treating. She felt a pang of sadness for her daughter and desperately wished that she could do something, anything really, to help bring that smile and those buckets of candy back to her little girl.

Her mirror never lied to her. That was a big plus that her current mirror had over past mirrors that she’d had. The current mirror showed her that despite being twenty that she could still pull off looking cute in a Halloween costume as opposed to looking slutty like other girls her age tended to do. The angel costume that she’d gone with this year actually made her look angelic, she didn’t look like she was trying to entice men to slip something in her drink and date rape her behind an Arby’s. As she took one last look at her costume in the mirror before taking it off and packing it away she mused that if she were a little shorter and didn’t have her womanly attributes she could probably pass for a young teen or even preteen and could possibly trick people into giving her candy. She abandoned her pipe dream and got changed out of her costume and into her pajamas before flopping into bed with a heavy sigh.

The tapping started a few hours after sleep had come to her. It started as an occasional soft rap on her bedroom window, a bit quieter than if someone were tossing stones up at it from the backyard. After a few minutes it got a bit louder and more deliberate, like someone knocking on the glass with a ring on their finger. By the time it was loud enough to register to her and rouse her from slumber it had become something more like raw hamburger patties being lobbed at the glass.

She opened her eyes slowly and looked at the glowing red numbers on her clock swearing sleepily as the time registered in her brain. Sitting up she swung her legs over the side of her bed and rubbed her eyes as she yawned and tried to pinpoint where the tapping was coming from. She got up from her bed and shambled to the window before flinging the curtains open to reveal her own reflection in the dark window and her empty backyard outside. Chalking the tapping up to some kind of vivid dream she shut the curtains and turned to go back to bed just as her bedside lamp turned on. The sudden brightness blinded her momentarily and she squinted as she held her hand up to block the light.

“It’s very rude to ignore someone that’s knocking at your window.” A small girl’s voice said from somewhere in the whiteness of the room.

Now wide awake the young woman panicked and reached for the closest object to her and brandished it like you would a baseball bat. “Who the fuck are you and how did you get in my room?!” she shouted.

“Let me answer your question with one of my own.” The small voice said. “If I said I was a murdering psychopath here to cut off your head and wear it like a hat, would you still try and stop me with a Hello Kitty umbrella?” the voice asked with a suppressed giggle.

Her vision adapted to the brightness and she now clearly saw the intruder. A small girl no older than four or five sat on her bed smiling at her with her chin propped up by her hands as she stared and smiled. Feeling stupid for getting scared by a child and for trying to be menacing with a Hello Kitty umbrella she dropped the object and returned the girl’s smile. “Very funny little girl, but Halloween is over now and you need to go home.” She said trying not to sound too annoyed with the wretchedly adorable little burglar.

The little girl giggled again. “That’s it?” she asked. “Some strange child appears in your room around midnight and all you’ve got is that weak ass ‘move along’ routine?” she asked.

All she could do was stare dumbly at this exceedingly intelligent and rude toddler.

“Alright, let me drop some knowledge on you.” The little girl said as she got off the bed and walked over to the older girl. She wore a pink hoodie, the kind where the hood part looks like an animal head so that when you wear it you appear to have animal ears and hers was apparently a pink hamster. She wore a black skirt that stopped at her knees and pink Velcro shoes with little white skulls on the sides. In her right hand she held a small plastic scythe with a faux wood handle and a pink light up blade. “When someone gets to a point in their life where it’s painfully obvious that they’re never going to grow up, a reaper is sent to take the spirit of their inner child.” She explained as she walked right up to the older girl before looking up at her with a very somber face, “That’s who the fuck I am.” She added.

The older girl stood silent for a moment before a smile spread across her face and she began laughing loudly at the little girl. “Oh my gosh, that was the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen!” she gushed. “If I get my phone can you do that all again so I can record it?” she asked.

The little girl said nothing and just stared at the older girl. “Do you have a learning disability or something?” she asked.

Hunting for her phone had caused the older girl to not hear the little girl’s statement, and once she found what she was looking for she quickly held the phone up in front of her so she could record what she wanted. “Alright sweetie, say what you said before.” She commanded in a syrupy sweet tone.

The little girl smacked the phone from the older girl’s hand. “You’re an idiot.” She said. “I thought I was pretty clear when I told you why I’m here, and at no point did I make it sound like I was on a mission to delight your six Facebook friends.” She added.

“How’d you know how many friends I have on Facebook?” the older girl asked as the shook the pain of the sudden smacking her hand had taken away.

The little girl took a deep breath in through her nose and sharply exhaled from her mouth. “I’m not gonna do this all night.” She said. “So, one more time for the shorty bus girl, my name is Lola and I am here to take the spirit of your inner child because you’re ridiculously immature.” She explained in a slow and deliberate tone.

“I am not ridiculously immature.” The older girl said defensively.

For the second time that night a head was cocked in response to something she’d said. “Really?” Lola asked. “So a twenty year old that still lives at home is mature? A twenty year old that still trick or treats is mature? A grown woman with Hello Kitty jammies is mature?” she asked.

“In certain situations, yes.” The older girl said.

Lola chuckled. “The depths of your denial are astounding.” She said.

“I’m not in denial, and I don’t have to explain myself to a child that’s probably not even out of diapers yet.” The older girl said. Ironically she had fought the urge to stick her tongue out at her pint sized intruder for fear that it might hurt her argument.

The little girl lifted her skirt with her free hand to reveal a pair of pink panties with tiny black and white skulls all over them. “I’m seven hundred years old.” She said bluntly before dropping her skirt. “Technically, compared to me you’re the one that’s probably still in diapers.” She added with a giggle.

With a sneer the older girl pulled the front of her pajama pants down to show her own panties. “Looks like you were wrong.” She said smugly.

“Wow, you just exposed yourself to a little girl.” The reaper said. “Pervert.” She added with disgust.

The older girl pulled the front of her pants back up. “You said you were seven hundred years old.” She protested.

“Yeah, but I look like I’m four.” The little girl said. “Besides, it’s cute when little girls show off their panties. When grown women do it, it’s a little creepy.” She explained.

The older girl sighed. “Whatever, I’m tired so leave the way you came in.” she said as she retrieved her phone and moved to her bed.

“Becky Hall, I am not leaving until I get what I came for.” The little girl said in a very stern tone.

Becky stopped in her tracks. “How do you know my name?” she asked as she turned to face the little girl again.

“Seriously, what are you not getting about what I told you?” the reaper asked.

“It’s not that I don’t get it, it’s that I don’t believe it.” Becky explained.

Lola sighed. “What would make you believe me and cooperate with me?” she asked.

Becky shrugged. “Can you do a trick or something?” she asked.

“Yeah, as a matter of fact I can!” the little girl said with feigned excitement. “If you lay down on the bed I can reap your inner child and then get on with my life.” She said as she dropped her charade and glared at Becky.

“So why don’t you just take it? Why do you need me to lay back and let you do it?” Becky asked.

Another sigh came from the reaper. “It doesn’t work that way, you have to consent to me taking your inner child’s spirit.” She explained.

“Well in that case then I do not consent. Now leave.” Becky said dismissively as she climbed back into bed and reached out to turn off her light.

Lola was suddenly between Becky and the light. “Look, I know that you think it’s cute to be defiant, but it isn’t and I really want you to stop.” She said.

“What are you gonna do if I don’t?” Becky asked snottily.

The little girl’s eyes began to glow red and the bulb in the lamp shattered plunging the room into darkness save for the twin red dots. “Do you really want to see what happens when I get mad?” the reaper asked.

Becky flew from her bed to the light switch by the door and turned on the overhead light. “Look, I’m sorry.” She said. “I don’t want to make you mad but I’m not going to let you reap my inner child.” She explained.

Lola’s eyes returned to their original brown. “Fine, then I’ll have to convince you.” She said before she tapped her toy scythe’s handle three times on the floor and the pink plastic blade lit up and began to strobe for a moment before going dark once again.

Becky looked around confused for a moment and then looked at the little girl. “I’m not sure what that was supposed to do, but it didn’t convince me.” She said.

The reaper cleared her throat and walked to the bedroom door. “That, my little idiot, was us traveling into the future.” She said. “More specifically, the future where you continue on the path of perpetual childishness rather than growing the fuck up.” She explained.

“Has anyone ever told you that you’re very rude and have quite a potty mouth?” Becky asked.

Lola shook her head. “No, as a matter of fact they haven’t.” she spat as she took a spot next to the door. “I need you to focus up for a second while I lay down the rules, can you do that for me?” she asked condescendingly.

Becky glared and nodded.

“Good. Rule number one is that no one can see or hear us. Rule two is that this is merely a possible future and will change if you let me do my job. Rule three is that I don’t want to be here all night so please don’t drag your ass.” Lola explained. “Any questions?” she asked.

Becky shook her head.

Lola opened the bedroom door and walked through and took a spot at the railing near the top of the stairs where she looked down and waited for Becky to follow suit. “This is five years from the Halloween we just came from.” She explained.

Becky stood next to Lola and looked down at the front entryway with her. She saw her mother standing near the front door fiddling with her camera for a moment before going to the bottom of the stairs and shouting up to her daughter.

“Alright honey, I’m ready with the camera!” she called before taking a spot away from the stairs where she could snap a good picture.

The bedroom door they’d just come through opened and Becky watched her future self emerge. Future Becky was clearly dressed for Halloween and had obviously chosen to go as a baby that year. Her shoulder length brunette hair was done up into pigtails secured with pink plastic pacifier shaped clips. She wore a pink bib with ‘Princess’ emblazoned on it in gold glitter over her purple belly shirt with some cutesy cartoon character’s face on the chest. Below that she wore a purple disposable diaper and pink baby booties on her feet. As she started to walk from the room to the stairs she suddenly froze in place.

“I can tell by the look on your face that you’re a little shocked.” Lola said as she looked up at present Becky’s wide eyes and gaping mouth.

Becky blinked several times and then stammered for a moment as her brain struggled to wrap itself around what she was witnessing. “What is she, am I wearing?” she asked.

“Well, in your quest to win over your Halloween detractors you started trying to make yourself look younger and younger. This is what you came up with this year.” Lola explained. “Pay attention, the next part is even better.” She added with satisfied grin.

Future Becky unfroze and made her way down the stairs while her mother snapped photos of her in her costume. When she got to the bottom of the stairs her mother pocketed her camera and pulled her daughter in for a hug.

“Did you have any trouble getting ready?” her mother asked.

Future Becky nodded. “Yeah, the diaper gave me such a hard time.” She admitted.

Without a word Becky’s mom began to adjust the girl’s diaper, checking between her daughter’s legs both in front and in back. “It looks pretty good to me honey.” She said as she stood back up. “Even if it leaks you won’t get anything but your booties wet.” She added with a smile and a playful pat on her daughter’s diapered butt.

“What?!” Becky exclaimed.

Everything froze again and Lola burst into a fit of giggles. “Yeah, your mom expects you to wet your diaper.” She said between laughs and gasps for air.

Becky was absolutely dumbfounded. “Why does she expect me to wet a diaper I’m wearing for a Halloween costume?” she asked.

“Oh, did I not mention that you sort of wear diapers a lot in the future?” Lola asked through a new wave of giggles.

Becky’s eyes bugged out. “Explain everything right now!” she shouted.

Lola calmed herself and wiped tears of laughter from her eyes. “Well, in your hunt for the most juvenile and thus adorable costume you came across a community on the internet that shared similar tastes as you.” She explained.

Becky shook her head. “I don’t like to wear diapers!” she protested.

“True, but three years ago she started to.” Lola said gesturing toward Future Becky. “The community she found had people that didn’t want to grow up either, they wanted to live as babies and children forever and she began to wonder if maybe diapers were the key to doing just that.” She explained.

Becky looked down at her future self. “So do I live like a baby in the future?” she asked.

Lola shook her head. “You play baby quite a bit, but you don’t just sit around in a diaper all day while your mommy takes care of you.” She said. “Well, not every day at least.” She added quietly.

“So you’re telling me that my mother participates in this?” Becky asked with a shudder of disgust.

Lola nodded. “She caught you wearing a diaper and drinking a bottle about a month after you started “experimenting”.” She said making air quotes with her fingers. “Surprisingly enough she was super excited about it and practically begged you to let her take care of you. You being the eternally infantile minded girl that you are agreed with little resistance.” She explained.

Becky went pale. “I think I’m gonna be sick.” She said as the full gravity of what her relationship with her mother was to become set in.

“Say the word and this future never exists.” Lola offered.

Becky nearly agreed, but then a thought struck her. “How do I know that you aren’t just showing me some bogus future to get me to consent?” she asked.

Lola smiled. “You’re not as dumb as you look, or sound, or act.” She said. “The answer is that you don’t. Believe me or don’t, it doesn’t change the future at all unless you consent to me taking the spirit of your inner child.” She explained.

“I don’t buy it.” Becky said after a moment of thought on the matter. “It’s all a little too convenient to be true.” She said.

Lola shrugged. “Whatever.” She said dismissively. “If your final answer is no then I’ll return you to your time and leave you alone.” She said as she started walking back to the bedroom.

“Just like that?” Becky asked.

Lola nodded. “See the problem with you now is that you’re riding the line of being an adult and being a child, hence me appearing to reap you. When you become a full on baby again in the future then the balance is restored.” She explained.

“What balance?” Becky asked.

“For every person there comes a time where they decide to be a child or an adult, right now you’re on the fence and need a push in the right direction. If you choose to live as a baby for the rest of your life then you chose poorly, but it’s your choice to make.” Lola explained. “If you chose to continue as you are now though, then I have to stick with you until you pick one way or another.” She added.

“I don’t see why the way I choose to live my life affects anyone else.” Becky told her.

Lola tapped her staff again and the strobe effect in her blade started up. The world went dark for a moment and then came back to light revealing that they were now standing outside a large office building in some big city.

“When and where are we now?” Becky asked.

“Same year as we just were, but someone else’s world.” Lola said cryptically.

A young man walked out of the building in front of them and reached into his coat pockets to put his gloves on, when he pulled his hands back out his wallet slipped from his pocket and fell to the pavement without him noticing. Becky knew he couldn’t hear her and she fought the urge to call out to him and watched as he walked out into the street without looking for traffic and was slammed into by a bus.

Becky screamed and covered her mouth as she watched the bus hit him and screech to a stop as he disappeared beneath the vehicle. She turned away as she caught a glimpse of his mangled form gasping his last breaths as blood bubble formed on his lips and his organs spilled out onto the street. “Why would you show me this?” she asked Lola as she began to sob uncontrollably.

“Because that dying and soon to be dead road pancake would have lived if you’d nutted up and become an adult.” Lola told her bluntly.

Becky shook her head in disbelief. “What do I have to do with that guy?” she asked.

“If you’d grown up then you would have moved out of your mom’s house and gotten a job, that job led to a better job in the city and one day you find yourself right here just in time to flag that poor bastard down about his dropped wallet and keep him from getting hit by the bus.” Lola explained. “The rush of adrenaline when you both realize that you saved his life causes you too to go out and then some time later marry and pop out some babies.” She said.

Becky wiped her eyes and choked back her sobs. “I marry him and we have kids?” she asked.

Lola nodded. “That’s the brass ring at the end of this choice.” She said. “So now you know exactly what you’re getting with each decision.” She added.

“It’s not fair, why does it have to be one or the other? Why can’t I be married and have kids but still be a kid at heart myself?” Becky asked.

“Because when you have kids you need to show them that being a grown up is something to strive for, and you can’t do that if you don’t strive for it yourself.” Lola explained. “So what’s it gonna be, depressing and gross life of perpetual babyhood or normal adult life with a husband and family of your own?” she asked.

“Will I remember any of this after I decide?” Becky asked.

Lola shook her head. “Nope, you get to see it but not take it with you.” She said.

“Alright, then I’ve made my choice.” Becky told her.

The alarm woke her up and she reached out and smacked it several times before it finally stopped buzzing at her. She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes before she got out of bed and went to her bedroom door stopping at her mirror on the way. She looked at her reflection for a moment and smiled she could honestly say that she was happy with the way she looked this morning. “Very cute.” She proclaimed. She paused for a moment and looked at her bed hair and then beamed happily as an idea came to her, “Pigtails.” She thought to herself before leaving the room to start her day.

Somewhere else in the universe a little reaper named Lola watched Becky and rolled her eyes. “What a selfish little brat.” She thought to herself.

Re: Reaper (Halloween Short Story)

Thank you, I think this one is my personal favorite as well! I was really pleased with the way it turned out and when I wrote it it gave me a break from all the darkness of the other stories. I really wish I could draw because I kind of want Lola to be realized as an original character, but whatever, she lives in my head and is awesome there. :slight_smile: Thank you again, glad you enjoyed the story.

LOL! You should be a comedian! Honestly, I loved your other stories but they made me think that you were one fucked up guy. No offense of course. Your other stories were enjoyable but disturbing. This was a funny and pleasant break from the “nightmares on paper” you wrote earlier. Great work.

No offense taken, I am in fact a fucked up guy, best to keep your distance. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m glad you enjoyed the stories and I’m especially glad that the humor I tried to inject translated well. Halloween to me is always going to be about nightmares and unpleasant shit that terrifies, but I wanted to make sure to include a small taste of the other aspect of Halloween, and that’s fun, and that’s where this story comes in.

Yes, you only get one fun story and five disturbing and dark as shit stories. Sorry not sorry. :slight_smile:

I never did finish that one, I painted myself into a corner and to get out of it would mean rewriting a bunch of stuff to get it to where I wanted it to go, so I bailed, because I’m a big lame. :stuck_out_tongue:

As much as I loathe Christmas, I really don’t think darkening up other holidays is such a great idea. I’ve had enough trouble getting these Halloween one’s to catch on with people, I’m sure lynch mobs would be formed if I flipped the script on Santa’s birthday. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for reading my stuff, sir, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so and to let me know you like my work.