Reputation and Rep Power

How does one acquire Reputation and Rep Power? Fairly new here, and as I am looking around I see some people with lower reputation than I would expect, some even with 0. I couldn’t find how this is leveling? In fact, I may be posing this question in the wrong thread.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reputation and Rep Power

In short, rep is how much rep you have. Rep power is how much rep you give when you leave positive rep. (Half your rep power in case of negative rep.) If I remember correctly, rep power is based on your post count, how old your account is and your current rep. (Although I could be wrong or overly simplistic. If I am, I’m sure Clawdia will correct me.)

There are more details in this thread.

Re: Reputation and Rep Power

[QUOTE=ELSTE;70372]How does one acquire Reputation and Rep Power? Fairly new here, and as I am looking around I see some people with lower reputation than I would expect, some even with 0. I couldn’t find how this is leveling? In fact, I may be posing this question in the wrong thread.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Gummybear has already covered the reputation power part of your post so I won’t cover that part again except to make one tiny correction. If your rep power is more than 0 but less than 4, you always give -1 if you give negative reputation. Of course that’s something you don’t have to worry about yet on the giving side as your account isn’t currently able to give negative rep. In fact very few accounts can due to some past abuse in that area. It is something that can be eventually earned though. :slight_smile:

As for all the people you see with 0? They either registered after we migrated to vBulletin in January, 2017 and have not received any rep since registering or they’ve received enough negative rep it offset their positive rep. Accounts registered prior to the migration were given a base reputation of +5 to force the board to calculate their reputation properly based on the their registration date and post count.

Now as for why there are so many with low/no rep, the simple truth is very few people use the system at all. In fact 68% of all reputation left since January has been left by just 4 accounts. Reputation is only given/taken away by other members.

For the record, I personally rarely give reputation, positive or negative, and that is because as an administrator my reputation points hit hard especially in the negative. For example right now if I gave your post negative rep it would send you low enough to put you on moderated posting automatically. In fact a post has to be very exceptional (either good or bad) before I give rep. At least one of the mods is way more active about using the rep system than I am though.

Of course, the thread Gummybear linked to covers most of this although some of it is outdated, and the FAQ (which is still in draft mode) needs to be redone to reflect a few recent changes anyway, but that thread is a good a starting point. If it doesn’t answer all your questions feel free to ask. :slight_smile: