Snuggles and Tears Chapter 102 (fixed)

EDIT: I apologize again for the mistake, this is all here now.

Hi Folks,

I wanted to say thank you to all of the folks that showed support for this story whether by voting for it in the contest, or through encouragement and an honest look at what you read. I really appreciate it. I can’t say enough that your feedback and kind words made all the difference.

I also wanted to thank Vickie and the other Admins for providing a forum to allow me to share my work.

This chapter sets some things up for later, and shows how Sharon’s perspective has come together on Billy’s situation.

I hope you like it,

Enjoy!!!

BabyButt

Chapter 102

A little while later, Peter came back into Billy’s room with fresh films in his hand. He had called Rick a few minutes before, so Rick and Sharon were sitting on the bed, with Billy snuggled up in Mommy’s arms. Peter slid two films into the light box, side by side, and turned it on.

Pointing to a white area on the left film, he said “This is what the area of scarring looked like from before.” and then moved his finger to the other film. “This is what it looks like now. Notice how the area has shifted physically. There is some open area here on the old film where the cyst occupied space, but doesn’t now. If you compare these two, it appears the tissue is taking it’s time, but it’s moving back to where it belongs. I suspect that’s what caused the change earlier.” Peter explained.

“So what does it mean?” Sharon asked looking confused.

“It means Billy will probably show some changes before everything finally settles where it belongs. It also means, until that happens, there’s no way to know where he’s going to ultimately end up from a functional point of view.” Peter told her.

“How long will it take until we know?” Rick asked.

“If the movement continues as it has between these two films, then he should be where he’s going to be in the next couple of days. By the last dose of Toradol, things should have settled. I want to warn you though, you may see some strange things through this process. If you see anything out of the ordinary, let me or one of the staff know immediately.” Peter answered.

“Could something bad happen?” Sharon asked fearfully.

“I’ll be honest with you Sharon, yes, it could. Do I think it will? No.” Peter explained.

“What do you mean by strange things?” Rick asked. He didn’t have to ask what they meant by something bad.

“He may stop using his arms suddenly, or be unable to speak, or be a nine year old one minute and a toddler the next. It’s hard to predict.” he told them.

Faith came in then with a small box and some wires. “We’re going to put him on the monitor just as a precaution. That way we can see if he has any problems with breathing or his heart.” Peter informed them. Seeing Sharon become truly frightened, he added “It’s just a precaution. I really don’t expect that to happen Sharon.”

As Faith began attaching the wires to Billy, Rick, wanting to distract Sharon from thoughts of disaster asked “So do you think Craig was wrong about Billy?”

“I do. Don’t get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for him, and am amazed at how much he’s been able to help in this situation, but I don’t think this is a psychological problem. Don’t get me wrong, there was a psychological component to this before the surgery, and that will need to be addressed, but I don’t think it’s the source of what we saw earlier.” Peter explained.

Rick and Sharon were glad to hear that. It was bad enough that he’d have physical challenges, serious psychological problems would make it ten times harder on him.

Sharon pulled Billy a little closer and kissed his soft cheek. While the news wasn’t ideal, at least things hadn’t gotten terribly worse. She took Rick’s advice right then and refused to think about what could happen. She wasn’t going to borrow trouble.

Peter said “I’m going to talk with Gary some more about what we can expect. If you need anything, let me know.” as he pulled the two films off of the light box and left the room.

Rick leaned down to kiss Billy on the cheek and said “You just get better little boy.” and then kissed his wife before saying “Well, I should get back to Becky.”

“I guess you’re right. How’s she doing?” Sharon asked.

“She’s a toddler Honey. The more I look, the more I see it. She’s been playing with dolls all morning, and sitting while I read to her.” He answered.

“As long as she’s happy and secure right now.” Sharon offered. It had been some time since Sharon had seen Becky spend any time playing with dolls.

“Yeah, that’s kind of how I looked at it.” Rick replied. “Come down when you get a chance, Becky will love it.” he added.

“I don’t know when that will be. It won’t be long before Billy wakes up.” she explained.

“Alright, maybe we can trade places for a little bit later this evening.” he suggested.

“Yeah, that might work.” she agreed. she thought it would be nice to spend time with Becky again.

They hugged and Rick went to Becky’s room as Sharon sat wondering what would come next. That was the worst part for her, not knowing what would happen. She was contemplating this when her cell phone rang. “Hello?” she answered when she didn’t recognize the number.

“Hi Sharon, it’s Lisa, how are you?”

“Oh, hi Lisa, I’m alright, just sitting here cuddling with Billy.” she answered.

“How is he, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“Things have changed a bit. He’s shaking now, a lot. It’s from the swelling in his brain.” Sharon explained.

“Look, I really want to apologize for what happened.” Lisa said with a heavy voice.

“It wasn’t anyone’s fault Lisa, accident’s happen. Please tell me that whoever was in that Pooh Bear costume doesn’t hold themselves responsible.” Sharon pleaded.

“He feels terrible. He’s asked how Billy is at least a dozen times.” she replied.

“It wasn’t his fault. I don’t know of too many adults that don’t sooner or later end up on their back at one point. I was just thankful he protected Billy’s head.”

“Can you do me a favor?” Lisa asked.

“What is it?”

“Allow Reggie to come to the hospital dressed as Pooh and try to make it up to Billy.” Lisa answered.

Sharon thought about this for a second. She didn’t think it would hurt Billy, but might make him smile. She didn’t want to decide until she asked Peter though. “When would he want to come?” she asked.

“When ever it’s convenient. I’ll take care of making sure he has the time, just let me know when.” Lisa offered.

“I want to talk with Peter about this first, Billy’s having a difficult time just now, and I don’t want to cause any issues for him.” Sharon told her.

“That’s fine. We can wait as long as is necessary. Just please call me and let me know when.”

“I can do that.” Sharon promised. “Hey, any way you could have Tigger here for Becky as well?” she asked, figuring it wouldn’t hurt.

“Certainly. I’ll take care of it, you just let me know when.” Lisa agreed.

“Alright, I’ll talk with Peter and get back to you.” Sharon agreed.

“Thank you, it will make Reggie feel a lot better.”

“Alright, I’ll call you later.”

“OK, take care.”

When Sharon hung up the phone, she looked out toward the nurses station and spotted Peter talking with Gary. Waiting until he looked her way, she nodded her head for him to ‘come here’.

Peter saw Sharon’s expression and had a pretty good idea there wasn’t an emergency, so he put his finger up to tell her to wait a moment. After finishing his discussion a moment later, he made his way to Billy’s room. “What’s up?” he asked curiously

“Lisa called me and asked if it would be alright to have the gentleman that played Pooh Bear come by dressed in his costume. He feels terrible that things happened the way they did. Do you have a problem with Billy snuggling with Pooh?” Sharon asked.

“Not at all, if you can get him to do it. He might be afraid to at this point. It would be good to try though. I would be curious to see how Billy interacts.” Peter told her.

“Alright, I’ll call her back. How about tomorrow?” she asked.

“Yeah, about one in the afternoon would be good. We should have finished anything he needs to do by then.” Peter explained.

“Alright then, thanks Peter.” Sharon said gratefully. Anything she could do that would make this time pleasant for Billy was a good idea from her point of view.

Sharon woke up to the sound of Billy fussing. She quickly looked down to see he was turning his head back and forth looking for her nipple. Once she had the scrub top moved out of the way, he was quickly nursing hungrily as he looked around.

"Hi Baby." she said sweetly to him. This got his attention and he looked at her. She saw his quick smile and knew without a doubt he was a one year old again. "Drink it all gone Sweetheart." she told him with a smile. "That's it, fill that tummy Baby Boy." she added.

Billy looked into Mommy's eyes and couldn't help but smile. She felt so warm and soft, and made him feel so good. To Billy, the sound of her voice was like a beautiful symphony that makes you smile in wonder. Mommy reached down and put her hand on his face and he couldn't help nuzzling her soft palm as he nursed. It was almost as soft as his blankie, but Mommy's hand had something his blankie didn't have, love. He knew Mommy loved him so much, and her touch was one one of the ways. 

Billy sighed contentedly as he continued to nurse and the owwie went away in his tummy. He could lay right there forever and be happy. He was drifting from one thing to the next when Mommy picked him up and laid him on her chest. He felt her hand gently pat his back and quickly became comfortable with the rhythm of it. Suddenly, he felt a bubbling in his tummy and heard a burp come from his own mouth. When Mommy laughed at his surprised expression, he couldn't help but giggle.

"That's it, get all the piggies out Baby." Sharon told him as she continued to pat. She really thought it was cute when he burped. He looked thoroughly surprised almost every time he did when he was seeing the world as he was now. When he'd burped again, she laid him back down on the other side to feed him both her milk and his formula.

Peter had given her some good news earlier in the evening. While they had sat chatting, he had mentioned that Billy was still forming brain cells. "There are no guarantees, but that will help with the problems we're seeing. He's fortunate that his body is confused as to his age." he had told her.

She really hoped he was right. The thought of things being this up in the air for any length of time scared her. "How in the world could Billy hope to be secure if his point of view keeps changing?" she thought to herself.

Several times that afternoon and evening Billy's perception had shifted. One second he was an emotionally immature nine year old, the next he was an infant, only to shift again twenty minutes later. "At least he did it while other folks were around." she thought. She had felt much better about it with folks there for the first few times.

The one saving grace of all of this was that no matter what his perception was, she could still see her little boy was there in his eyes. It would have been nerve wracking if he'd changed completely, but that didn't happen. While his abilities and desires changed, she recognized familiar mannerisms and traits that Billy had had throughout the different stages of his young life. The way he balled his little fist up when he nursed and laid it next to his nose. How he preferred to lay back against her rather than lay across her lap when he got older. How his lip occasionally curled up when he smiled in his sleep. All of these things told her that while his functional age was changing, he was still her little boy.

Craig had told her "He's like a candy bar. You can change the wrapper many times, but if the candy doesn't change, then it's still that same old candy you know and love." and he was right.

Billy's outsides may look or behave different, but he was still that same little boy Sharon had fallen in love with nine years ago. She smiled as Billy's mouth slowly wound down and stopped suckling. She leaned down and gave him a gentle kiss on his cheek as she whispered "No matter what your body does or doesn't do, no matter how you look at your world little boy, I will always love you. I'll be there to wipe your tears when it gets hard, smile with you and share your joy when you make milestones, but most of all, I promise, I'll love you for who you are, not who I want you to be." as she gently patted his diaper in a slow rhythm.

She had swore as a young mother that she would help her kids to find their own way. That would be imperative for Billy now. His path would be strewn with obstacles, some bigger than others, that would make it more difficult for him to reach his goals, but she'd give him the help he needed to get through. With that, she'd offer lots of love.

Sharon knew there would be challenges ahead, big ones, like school. She would have to talk with Peter and April about what was out there to make it possible for Billy to continue his education. That was not an option from her perspective. Whether the changes left him ultimately a toddler or an emotionally immature preteen, she would see him back in school when it became appropriate. God willing, he would continue to get better and eventually graduate high school and then college.

Billy resumed his nursing then and pulled her from her thoughts, prompting a chuckle. "Here I'm worried about college, and he's still nursing." she thought. With a kiss to his forehead, she said softly "Give it time…give it time."

Happy, sad, warm and fuzzy
:smiley: :frowning: :slight_smile: :wink:

great job …thats 1 day out of 3 done …they’ll be home soon or at least out of the hospital :smiley:

8.9/10

Lb

Awww… that was really sweet. :smiley:

That’s all I have tonight.

Still too short!

Agreed!! BB, I just want to see where this goes from here!! Keep up the great work you are doing on this story!!

Agreed!! BB, I just want to see where this goes from here!! Keep up the great work you are doing on this story!![/quote]I agree with Dark Angel and Icey. Keep it up BB.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for responding.

Ummm…did anyone happen to feel that this chapter just dropped right off the edge of the world?

It seems that several paragraphs didn’t make the cut and paste when I posted this last night. I have to admit that I was really tired when I put it up here. Sorry folks, didn’t mean for that to happen.

As foolish as it was, I even edited the thing to put a quote at the end of the last line, thinking I forgot it. Forgot the rest of the chapter was more like it.

I will fix this later this evening.

Thanks,

BabyButt

I hope when Pooh Bear and Tigger comes to see Becky and Billy nothing bad happens.

Just a note to let you know that I have fixed the dropped paragraphs from this chapter. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry about that.

BabyButt

It’s a lot better BabyButt.

Nope BB I didn’t notice …it worked the way it was quite well… I think. I actually prefered it because it went from one very sweet sentence to another making it feel more fluffy. The added paragraphs have given us a look into the future though regarding school and how sharon will be.

Only you would know BB its your baby, we are just tagging along for the ride. :smiley:

Lb

good