Snuggles and Tears Chapters 1-3

This is a story that I have wanted to write for a long time but could never get to it. I finally made the time to get it started. Let me know what you think.

BabyButt

Chapter 1

It hurt. He didn’t know why it hurt so much. After all, he was nine years old not two. And yet the tears kept coming. Try as he might, he couldn’t make them stop.
Saddest of all, he enjoyed playing with his cousin even if he was two years old. His sister had made fun of him because he didn’t want to play with her. She called him a baby. Deep down he wished he was. Then it would be okay. Then it wouldn’t hurt anymore.
His sister was eleven and was so full of herself he thought. She was older so she got to stay up later and do things he wasn’t allowed to do. She made such a big deal of it every day. Calling him names and treating him like he was a lower life form. The hard part was he couldn’t do anything about it. If he complained to Mom, she would talk to Becky but afterward he had to listen to Becky calling him a baby for crying to Mommy. Becky was also bigger than him and she would push him around when Mom wasn’t looking and then laugh when he started crying and say “Billy, you are such a baby!”.
Just about everyone was bigger than him; except his cousin. Bobby was just a toddler after all. Billy was only 40" tall and weight about 43 pounds. He looked like your average four to five year old. Being very small for his age came from some complicated medical condition he couldn’t understand. All he knew is that he would be a little person. This caused all kinds of problems at school. The bigger boys would laugh at him if he tried to play with them, and they would tease when he went to play with the younger boys. After all no self respecting 5th grader would play with 1st graders. It just wasn’t done. So Billy spent a lot of his time playing by himself.
Billy quickly pulled his thumb from his mouth and tried to dry his face when he heard someone coming down the hall toward his room. He hoped it wasn’t Becky. As his Mom opened his door and moved to sit on his bed, he rolled away from her trying to hide his red swollen eyes as he shoved his Pooh Bear under the bed.
“What’s wrong Billy?” she said with a note of concern.
“Nothing.” he replied with a thick voice.
“I know better” she offered.
“Don’t worry about it.”
“I’m your Mom, I’m supposed to worry”
Sharon didn’t know what else to do. This was the typical exchange between her and her son. She assumed he had a fight with his sister or one of the kids in the neighborhood, but she couldn’t get him to talk to her when this happened. It wasn’t always this way, but it seemed that over the last two years he had shut her out more and more. Was this normal for a nine year old boy? She didn’t know. Becky had never shut her out, but she was a girl. If you asked Sharon, girls were easier to raise. “That’s not fair.” she thought to herself. Becky didn’t have to deal with being much smaller than everyone else her age. If Billy didn’t have the hormone deficiency then maybe things would be different.
Sharon didn’t want to think about that. It would just make her feel guilty again. “Why hadn’t the doctors figured out that this was the problem sooner?” she thought. She knew now she had waited too long to ask about it at the doctor’s office. “I should have known better, I am his mother for God’s sake!” she screamed at herself inside. “Get a grip on yourself Sharon, this isn’t helping.” she told herself.
"I want to thank you for making today a fun day for your cousin. That was very nice of you."she told him as she put her hand gently on his back.
“It’s no big deal.” he said as his back stiffened at her touch.
“Why does he always pull away?” she asked herself with an audible sigh. “I wish it was easier for you,” she said as she took her hand away. “It’s Christmas time.” she thought. “He should be excited not miserable.”
“I’ll be OK.” he responded feeling bad. He knew she was trying to make him feel better, but it wasn’t helping.
“Well, dinner will be ready in a little while.”
“OK.”
Sharon sighed once more as she looked down at her son. “I just don’t know what to do to help him anymore.” she thought to herself as she walked down the hall.
Billy didn’t know what to do. He knew he was hurting his Mom’s feelings, he just didn’t know what to do about it. He also knew she didn’t know what was wrong and he couldn’t tell her. He had tried several times but just couldn’t get the words to come out of his mouth no matter how hard he tried. His last thought as he pulled his Pooh Bear out from under the bed and snuggled it close while putting his thumb back in his mouth was “I wish I knew what to do.”. And the tears began to flow.

~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

Billy wandered to his room to get ready for bed. He sat on his bed as his mind wandered back to dinner time.
He had felt a little better after crying it out. Sitting down as his mother brought the food to the table, talking all the while about the holiday.
“The tree looks beautiful this year.” she said smiling while glancing toward the living room.
“I did most of it Mom.” Becky said with a superior tone.
“You did not!” Billy replied angrily.
“Well I did the good parts anyway.”
“Whatever.” He wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction of an argument again.
“You BOTH did very good work on that tree and I don’t want to hear any more from you about it missy!” their father said as he entered the kitchen after washing his hands.
Becky looked down at the table and said “Sorry Dad.”
“For someone who’s eleven, you sure don’t act it some times.” Rick replied.
Becky continued looking at the table while occasionally throwing a glare at her brother.
“Great.” Billy thought. “Now she’s gonna be mean later.” He just didn’t think he could win.
“So how was your day Billy?” his father asked.
“It was OK.”
“Just OK?”
“He played with the baby all day.” Becky piped in.
“So?” Billy responded.
“So you probably felt right at home.” she said with a smirk.
“That will be enough young lady.” Rick growled.
“What? It’s true. He’s just a baby anyway.” she argued.
“You can get up and go to your bed now. You obviously don’t want your dinner seeing as how you can’t keep a civil tongue at the dinner table.” He responded.
“But…”
“NO BUTS! MOVE!”
Becky got up and left the table loudly stomping her feet down the hall to her room.
“If you slam that door it’s coming off.” he yelled to her. Rick knew his daughter well. “Need to find a way to bring her down a peg or two, and soon.” he thought.
Rick looked at his wife wondering if she agreed with sending their daughter to bed with no supper.
Sharon gave her husband a barely perceptible nod that told him she did.
By this time Billy had eaten all he wanted and asked to be excused from the table.
“You sure you don’t want desert Son?” his father asked.
“No, I’m tired. Thanks anyway Dad.”
“Alright. More for me I guess.” Rick replied while mussing Billy’s hair. This actually got a smile from his Son.
“Don’t eat it all!” Billy said with a smile.
“Don’t you fret.” his father replied as Billy walked past him on his way to his room.
“Don’t forget to brush your teeth and wash up Billy.” Sharon told him. “And say your prayers before you go to bed.”
“I will.” she heard Billy respond from the bathroom door.
As Billy finished up brushing his teeth he considered skipping the washing up but couldn’t do it. He could never deal with his parents being disappointed in him. That was worse than them being angry with him. A picture of his Dad’s face leapt to his mind as he started washing. It was when he brought home the letter from his teacher stating that he hadn’t done his homework. He would never forget the disappointment in his father’s expression. That hurt him to see his father feel that way about him.

Billy got up from his bed to change into his PJ’s. “That’s why I can’t tell Mom.” he thought. “She would be so disappointed in me.” The thought made his eyes well up. The thing he wanted more than anything else in the world would hurt his Mom and he didn’t know what to do about it."
Billy was at his limit. He didn’t know where to turn. And a thought struck him that made him slap his forehead. “How could I be so stupid?” he thought to himself. “Dad says whenever I have a problem that I don’t know how to deal with, pray. It can’t hurt.” as he got down on his knees at the side of his bed.
“God? Please watch over my Mom and Dad and keep them safe.” he prayed. He went through his daily prayers he said every night including asking God to watch over his sister even though he wasn’t really fond of her lately. Then he paused. He thought he heard someone walking up the hall outside his door. When he couldn’t hear anymore noise he continued on. “God? I know I’m not supposed to ask you for things for myself, but this isn’t just for me God. It’s also for…my…Mommy.”
The word Mommy caused all of the hurt to come to the surface again and he was soon crying as he prayed.
“God, I just don’t know what to do…” his words breaking off as he began to quietly sob. “It’s just…I…I really want your help. I…want you to…to make it so that…so that I could be…” he broke into sobs again but forced himself to finish the thought. “so that I could be Mommy’s baby again.”
He thought he heard a noise in the hall and stopped talking while tears slowly made their way down his cheeks. After a minute or so he thought he was mistaken and so continued on and as the words started to come out the damn burst.
“I don’t know why but I want this more than anything else in the world.” sobbing through his words he kept talking. “I just want to be her baby again. It hurts when she wants to hug me and I can’t just climb in her lap and snuggle or have my binky or my blankie and have her rock me and pat my diaper like she used to. So I try to get away from her cause it hurts so bad. I know it hurts her and I’m so sorry…” the hurt poring out through his words and tears. " I’m so sorry…I didn’t know what else to do…I miss Mommy so much." he paused to wipe his eyes. “I want to be her baby again so bad…I could stop hurting her feelings and…and…be close again…and…it would make the hurt go away. But God, only if Mommy and Daddy wouldn’t be disappointed in me…” he broke off sobbing again this time for a full two minutes. “I don’t want to hurt them…I don’t want to hurt them anymore…”
Billy took a moment to get control of himself.
“God please…I don’t want anything else for Christmas…I’ll be good I promise…just please…give me my Mommy back.” the last words were just a whisper as the tears surged again.
He heard another noise. This time it sounded like it was outside his door. He made a tremendous effort to quiet down as he got into bed and turned out his light. After the huge outpouring of emotions he was asleep within minutes snuggling his Pooh Bear and nursing on his thumb.

~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

Sharon and Rick stood outside Billy’s door completely devastated. Tears rolled down both their cheeks as they quietly made their way to the kitchen.
They had both gone to their bedroom and had heard Billy saying his nightly prayers. Sharon had smiled at Rick as they passed and heard Billy ask God to watch over his Mom and Dad. Once in the room, Sharon had forgotten her reading glasses and had been on her way back out to the living room to get them when she heard her son speaking. “…but this isn’t just for me God. It’s also for…my…Mommy.” she had heard. The word “Mommy” had immediately gotten her full attention and the trip to the living room was forgotten as she quickly motioned through the open door to her bedroom for her husband to come to her side.
Rick was wondering what his wife wanted and was about to ask her as he moved closer to his son’s bedroom door. The question was forgotten as he heard his son sobbing uncontrollably for a moment. Billy started speaking through his tears when Sharon reached for the doorknob as Rick took her hand in his and shook his head letting her know they needed to hear this. He had to put his arms around his wife and hold her to keep her from opening the door once her son relayed his desire to be her baby again. Sharon was trying to keep quiet but couldn’t contain a sob when she heard Billy say it.
The next four minutes were the longest of either of their lives. They had all they could do to keep from opening the door as their little boy pored his heart out despite his tears. Billy’s last statement would be the cause for several sleepless nights for both of them. Again, Sharon couldn’t keep her control and let out another sob that both of them knew Billy heard.
They made their way through the kitchen and Rick motioned out as he opened the door to the garage. Once the door was shut, Sharon couldn’t help it and released her hold on her emotions. She was not the only one. They held each other tight as they shared each other’s tears, comforting each other until they were able to bring themselves to talk.
“Rick…” the word broke as Sharon started sobbing again.
“I know honey…I know.” he said through his own tears standing, rocking her back and forth to comfort her.
Sharon finally got control of herself. Rick saw the expression change on her face and pulled her closer so she couldn’t go back inside.
“Rick let me go!” Sharon said angrily.
“No.” was the only reply.
“Let me go! I need to go hold him!”
“No honey. Not right now. You are way too upset. You would scare him!” That immediately got Sharon’s attention. “Honey, call Cathy. She can help us figure out how to handle this. God forbid we make a mistake and make that little boy…” his voice broke as the tears started again.
“Hurt anymore.” she finished for him as she placed the palm of her hand on his cheek.
Rick could only nod as words wouldn’t come out. He handed his cell phone to his wife. He had reached in and retrieved it from the dresser just before they came out to the garage.
Sharon was on the phone for a moment talking with Cathy as Rick walked outside to compose himself.
“I want us to go over to Cathy’s now.” she said walking out to stand beside him.
“Who’s gonna watch the kids?” he asked.
“Mom is on her way over now. She will be here in 15 minutes.”
“OK. Lets get ready to go then. I’ll get some clothes from the bedroom honey and bring them out to you. I know you. You couldn’t walk right by him again tonight.” Rick insisted.
She considered this a moment and responded. “You’re right. I couldn’t do that again.”
“I’ll be right back.” he said.
They had both just finished getting clothes on when Sharon’s mother pulled into the driveway. Phillis looked tired as Sharon practically ran up to her to give her a hug. Phillis lost all tiredness when she saw her daughter crying.
“Sharon, what’s wrong?” she asked with great concern as she held her daughter.
“I don’t really have time right now to explain, but it’s OK. Things will be alright.” Sharon replied.
“Mom can we take your car? I don’t want the kids to wake up with the noise from the garage door and worry.” Rick said.
“Sure. I’ll go inside, you go take care of what ever this is.”
“Thanks Mom.” Sharon responded with a grateful smile.
“We’ll be back later. I’m not exactly sure how long this is going to take.” Rick offered.
“It’s OK. Just go” Phillis responded.

3 Likes

First off welcome to the forum.
your story is allright, although there are a few concerns i have. firstly the chapters are to short, i think that what you have here is enough for one chapter. secondly i dont think it feels like billy is nine, he seems alot older, maybe about twelve. i think thats all i was concerned with other than that good job

Actually, in this case the chapters are pretty clearly defined. Each one denotes a shift in the action of the story, and therefore keeps the whole thing very neat. Literary disagreement aside, this is a wonderful start, and I can’t wait to see more, which is something I don’t often have the privilege of saying. Keep up the good work.

Very neat and creative. I haven’t seen a start like this before. I feel alot of emotion in your work and I’m happy you’ve finally got to post this. I hope you continue to design your work in this fashion and it blossoms into a great story.

Unfortunately for me I won’t be able to read it because I’m moving away to a place without internet… Good luck on writing the rest though.

Thank you!

I personally prefer to keep things well defined within a chapter. From my perspective it makes it easier to keep up with the story if a chapter covers a single event or idea.

This will become clear as the story moves along and we learn more about Billy.

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback!

Thank you very much for the encouragement!

Snuggle and Tears Chapters 1-3

I really enjoy reading your story and keep it up.

I like that the story addresses some of the roots of these feelings. I think I can identify with the way Billy feels.

that was good

Oh, i really liked this story. i connected to the story a lot. thanks for sharing these first few chapters. i am looking forward to more chapters and watching the story unfold.

God bless

TTFN

1 Like

Nice story. I don’t think there is anything wrong with short chapter if you post a few at a time. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I forgot that by commenting you move the story up front on the forum …i don;t like it when i have to search for the next chapter so i am going to try and get them in some sort of order hopefully.

I loved the story as soon as I started reading it, the further I went the better it got but it hooked me straight away, with some stories it takes awhile. I too was a little but of with the structure of the paragraphing but was very pleased with the new structure up ahead.

Little_rabbit

Er… No, please don’t do that, littlebunny. I realize you like the story and all, and it is good to let authors know that, but with a story of this size, it’s really better to just PM the author until you get to the more recent chapters, rather than replying to every chapter and clogging the first page of the story section with things that were written months ago.

yeap ok no probs :slight_smile:

thanks

Little_rabbit

Wow, now I feel like a baby. I was sitting here, first night on this forum and picked a story at random. Next thing I know I’m bawling my eyes out. I’m gonna find the next chapters and keep reading. No complaints so far. :wink:

Re: Snuggles and Tears Chapters 1-3

why do people complain about such littal things gees. If you don’t like it. Then don’t read it gees.

I really like your story it reminds me of my childhood and how I like playing with babies more than kids my age and how I just want to be treated like a baby again I all so did want to hurt my mommy and did not know how to tell her I felt like a big disappointment as a kid and just want to be a baby