The Masks We Wear (Short Story)

Hey everyone! Here’s a little tale that I wanted to share with you, I hope you enjoy reading it. Lemme know what ya’ll think. :smiley:

Knight

The Masks We Wear
By: Dementia’s Knight

Friday, October 29th, 7:00 P.M.

“So what are you gonna wear to Jerod’s party?” Cammy asked me.

I turned the desk chair around so that I was facing her. “I still haven’t decided.” I confessed as I bit my bottom lip nervously.

Cammy sat up on the bed and gave me a shocked look. “Umm, in case you didn’t notice, Halloween is only a little more than a day away.” she lectured.

I sighed. “Yes Cammy, I’m well aware of that. I just can’t decide on anything good.” I told her.

“Well you better think of something soon. Can’t very well go to a costume party without a costume.” she said. “Although, I’m sure Jerod would love it if you showed up in your birthday suit.” she added with a mischievous grin.

I smiled back at her and turned the chair back to the computer. “I was thinking something fun.” I told her. “Like maybe a cheerleader or something.” I added.

“Nope, that’s mine.” she said.

I turned back to her to see her get off the bed and start an impromptu cheer. Her blonde hair bounced around as she shimmied this way and that.

It was true that Cammy was much better suited for the role of a cheerleader, she’d only been doing it since we started high school three years ago. I watched her lithe body shake about, much more impressive than my own mousy frame.

Cammy finished her cheer and sat back down on the bed. “Why don’t you go as a cat?” she offered before taking a sip of her soda.

“Nah, I was a cat a few years ago and everyone thought I was some kind of mouse or something.” I told her. “Besides, Jerod doesn’t seem like a cat person.” I added.

Cammy lay back on the bed and sighed. “Maybe you should go as something cute, like yourself.” she said with a chuckle.

I feigned a smile just in case she happened to look my way, but inside I was saddened by her words. I looked down at my meager excuses for breasts, barely any bigger than they were in middle school. In contrast to Cammy I appeared freakishly underdeveloped, and I always felt self-conscious when we stood next to one another and the guys gave her first glance.

“Maybe you should just sleep on it and come up with something in the morning.” Cammy offered.

I looked at the clock. “It’s only seven!” I protested.

Cammy stood up and came over to my chair and knelt in front of me. “And I know a certain little girl that sounds very cranky right now.” she said with a smile.

I sneered at her. “I’m not cranky, I’m restless because I can’t think of a costume.” I said defensively.

“Well maybe we can just dress you up in your jammies, I think that’s pretty cute.” she said as she pinched my cheek, an action she knew I despised.

I smacked her hand away. “No! Halloween is about dressing up like something different from what you normally are, Ms. Pompom’s.” I said before sticking my tongue out at her.

“Hmm, I think that just earned you a visit from the tickle monster.” she said as her long fingers dove into my tender sides and wriggled around frantically.

I squealed and tried to wiggle away from her, but she proved to be too quick for me, and she hoisted me out of my chair and tossed me recklessly to the bed where she pounced on me once again and started her barrage anew.

“Who’s the best sister in the world?” she asked as she continued to attack my sides and stomach with her nimble digits.

“You are!” I managed to scream between giggles and gasps for air.

“And who’s the boss?” she asked.

“Tony Danza!” I shouted, my breathing frantic as I giggled uncontrollably.

Cammy stopped her tickling spree and sat back staring at me. “Cute.” she said with a smile.

I sat up and tried to catch my breath as I returned her smile. “You know, if I were a little bigger I’d get you with a tickle monster visit.” I said.

She reached out and tussled my brown locks. “If you were a little bigger I wouldn’t find you as cute.” she said.

I blushed slightly and looked down at the sheets of the bed to avoid her seeing my blush.

Cammy lifted my chin up with her hand and smiled at me. “I know you may pretend you don’t like being cute, but I’ve seen the clothes in your closet and I know the truth.” she said with a wink.

I smiled uncontrollably as I thought of all the outfits in my closet reserved for special occasions and when I was feeling especially little.

Without warning Cammy scooped me up and pulled me over to her, seating me in her lap and hugging me to her. “I think it’s time to get you into bed honey.” she said with a smile.

I nodded softly and hugged her back, sharing a tender moment of closeness that was common when we fell into our normal roles.

Cammy lead me out of her room by the hand and across the hall to my room. As we entered she turned the light on, exposing the infantile utopia that our parents had created for me. All the furniture was made for me by my dad, the large wooden crib, the changing table, and the playpen in the corner. I smiled every time I went into my room, despite having seen it every day for the past six years.

After Cammy got me onto the changing table I lay quietly as she got together all the necessary supplies together. She smiled as she placed my pacifier in my mouth and removed my pants.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were wet?” she asked as she looked down at the yellowed garment adhered snugly around my waist.

I shrugged and reached over to grab my stuffed bunny for a cuddle while Cammy went to work getting me changed into my night attire. I was sat up as Cammy put my arms into the holes of my soft pink fleece pajamas. She zipped the front closed and picked me up from the table, setting me down at the end of the table as she went over to the crib and lowered the side.

As she lay me down and pulled the blankets up over my body she smiled at me. “How’d I get so lucky to have such a sweet baby sister?” she asked me.

I smiled at her behind my pacifier and shrugged. “Jush wucky I duess.” I lisped out through the rubber teat of the pacifier.

Cammy chuckled and leaned down to kiss my forehead before she put the side of the crib back up and turned my night light on before she made her way to the door. “Night sis.” she said as she closed the door.

Just before sleep overtook me I was struck with a brilliant idea. I smiled to myself as I rolled over and went to sleep.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

Saturday, October 30th, 9:00 A.M.

I quietly let down the side of my crib and padded out of my room and down the hall to Cammy’s room. I opened the door and crept in and snuggled into bed next to her, wrapping my arm around her as she slept.

“Morning cutey.” she said sleepily as she looked over at me with a smile. “Did you have a bad dream?” she asked.

I shook my head and looked up at her with a look I knew she knew.

“What? What do you want?” she asked.

I pulled my pacifier from my mouth and laid out my idea for her, pausing a few times to read her reactions, after I’d finished I put my pacifier back into my mouth and waited for her thoughts.

“Well, I have to admit it’s a pretty original idea, and I gotta say I’m intrigued by it.” she said. “Alright, I’ll do it, but only because you asked so nicely.” she added.

I spat my pacifier from my mouth and planted a kiss on her cheek. “Thank you Cammy!” I squealed happily

“You’re welcome, now please go back to sleep.” she said as she fished my pacifier from between the sheets and replaced it in my waiting mouth and hunkered down to go back to sleep.

I lay next to her unable to stop a smile from spreading across my face as I thought about how fun Halloween would be this year.

Saturday, October 30th, 11:00 A.M.

The smell of bacon and eggs roused me a few hours later. I shuffled my way from Cammy’s room and down the stairs to the kitchen where I found my sister happily slaving away at the stove.

The non-skid soles of my pajama’s feet made a light scraping sound as I moved into the kitchen to make sure I was guaranteed a serving of the delicious smelling items.

“Good morning again!” Cammy chirped cheerfully as she turned and saw me standing there staring over at the stove hungrily.

Cammy smiled and made her way to me, she helped me into my highchair and put the tray into place. I watched her as she went to the fridge and pulled a bottle of apple juice from it, she set the bottle on the tray and smiled as I snatched it up and began to suck it down greedily.

After I’d finished my delicious breakfast and bottle of juice Cammy led me upstairs to the bathroom where she disrobed me and placed me into the bathtub. We talked about our costume plans while she cleaned me with a washcloth, taking care to make sure my lower half was properly cleansed after spending all night encased in my own urine.

Once I was clean to her liking she helped me out of the tub and quickly dried me off. I giggled as she snuck small tickles in with each pass over my tummy. After I was dry we went to my room and she got me dressed and ready for the day. Her choice of clothes for me made me warm and happy inside, a purple Dora The Explorer shirt partially hidden under a pair of pink corduroy overalls that puffed out none too subtly at the crotch section, letting everyone in on what I really was.

“So, what should we do today?” Cammy asked as she expertly did my hair up into pigtails.

I smiled at her for a moment. “Plan our costumes!” I told her excitedly.

“Alright, let’s do that then.” she said with a smile as she helped me down from the changing table.

“I’m thinking a long skirt would be nice.” Cammy said as she brushed her hair and applied her make-up in the bathroom a short while later.

I sat on the lid of the toilet seat watching her watch me in the mirror. “That might be nice.” I told her, envisioning just the right skirt in my minds eye. “Actually, that would be really nice.” I added with a smile.

“Maybe we could try that cute little onsie you have, you know the one with the baby bunnies on it.” she said as she finished applying her eyeliner.

I nodded. “I always really like that one.” I said with another smile.

Cammy put her make-up away and came over and knelt in front of me. “I think this is gonna be a lot of fun.” she said with a wide grin to match my own. Cammy spent a long part of the day at the sewing machine working on the skirt and shirt combo, I watched her and smiled that she was taking such pride in making sure our costumes were perfect.

After spending the rest of our day in our closets finding accessories for our costumes Cammy and I settled in the living room for pizza and a scary movie.

As we snuggled together on the couch with full stomachs we watched as several campers on the television ran from a maniac with a hockey mask. I buried my face into Cammy every time i got too scared, and she would gently stroke my hair and whisper sweet things to me to calm me down.

We fell asleep during the following movie, I dreamt of what the party at Jerod’s would be like, I pictured Cammy and I walking into the room and everyone complimenting us on our outfits. I slept with a smile on my face, happy that everything I’d planned had gone so well.

Sunday, October 31st 5:30 P.M.

“You nervous?” Cammy asked me as we drove to the party.

I shook my head and smiled at her. “You?” I asked.

She breathed deeply and exhaled sharply. “A little.” she said.

We pulled up outside the large house. People were standing on the porch and the front yard chatting with one another. As we got out of the car we stood next to each other for a minute holding hands nervously. “Here goes nothing.” Cammy said as we started walking toward the house.

The people we passed by as we entered the house stared at us and whispered quietly to one another when they saw us. We ignored them and made our way into the heart of the party. I saw Jerod talking with a few of his friends across the room and saw them point us out to Jerod. Always the gracious host, Jerod approached us with a smile plastered on his face.

“Hey, how’s it going?” he asked when he got within normal volume of speech range, which was hard with the blaring party music entrenching us.

“Good, we just got here. Do you like our outfits?” Cammy asked, twirling around for Jerod to show him her full ensemble.

Jerod smiled. “Yeah, you look great.” he said. “Umm, let’s find a nice quiet place where we can talk.” he said.

We followed behind him as he lead us upstairs to a quiet and unoccupied bedroom.

“Have a seat.” he said as he pulled a chair over from the desk and sat down in front of where we’d parked ourselves on the bed. Taking a moment to look us over Jerod sighed and shook his head. “What happened Cam, did you stop taking your medicine?” he asked.

Cammy giggled and playfully slapped at him. “What, you don’t like our costumes?” she asked.

“Our? No, I don’t like your costumes.” he replied, adding a sarcastic tone to the word “your”.

Cammy looked hurt. “Why? I mean what’s wrong with them?” she asked.

Jerod sighed again. “Look, I don’t know what game you’re playing, but I want you to stop it right now.” he said.

“What game? We just came here to-” Cammy started to explain.

Jerod shot up from his chair. “Enough! Who’s “we”, Cam? Huh? Theresa? Is that who “we” is?” he shouted.

Cammy stared at him for a moment trying to wrap her head around what was happening. “Of course I mean Theresa, who else would I be talking about?” she asked.

“You know, I know you can’t help it, but I can’t watch this anymore. There is no Theresa Cam, she doesn’t exist! You made her up!” he shouted at her, causing her to recoil in fear. “Look at yourself Cam.” he said as he pointed to the mirror.

She got up from the bed and slowly approached the mirror. I watched her, knowing what was going to happen, hating to have to see it again.

Cammy looked at herself, her blonde hair was done up into twin pigtails, her ample form encased in a pink onsie with baby bunnies on it. Her eyes dropped to her well padded waist as she smoothed a hand over it. In her other arm, clutched like a stuffed animal was a long sleeved white collared shirt sewn to a long skirt.

“Look, I’ll give you a ride home, and I’ll stay with you until your parents get home.” Jerod said.

Cammy looked bewildered she turned to face me, but for obvious reasons I couldn’t be there to help her. “But, Theresa?” she asked, genuinely unaware of what was happening.

Jerod put his arm around her, he wiped a tear from his eye and led her from the room.

“Why did you leave?” Cammy asked me later that night.

I shook my head. “You know why.” I told her. “Nobody can see me, only you.” I said with a smile.

Cammy returned my smile. " A sister secret?" she asked.

I nodded to her and leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Yes Theresa, a sister secret.” I whispered.

Cammy nodded and put her pacifier in her mouth. She put the railing of the crib up and rolled over to sleep. Jerod watched her from the doorway, a pang of pity in his heart for the delusional young girl that lead two lives. Cammy, the older sister and protector and caregiver, and Theresa, the adult baby girl that wanted nothing more than to be cuddled and cared for. In some strange way, they both got what they wanted.

The End.

Ooohh I like this one so much! Its sweet in an odd way ~I can totally see this in black and white with some crazy ass dolly music. Mwah!

Glad you like it V! :smiley:

I forgot to put this at the end, BUT I take personal pride in the fact that I wrote a Halloween story in which nobody died, magic wan’t involved, and ghosts played no part in the plot…not that any of those are bad things, just firsts for my own writings. Also, I never used the word diaper, which is another first for me.

Alright, enough tooting of my own horn. :smiley:

Knight

that was a pretty awesome story

Very nice, Knight.
I notice there isn’t one occurrence of the all too common D word in this story. That’s really rare, and again I say well done.

Way to go, D. Knight!! I have missed these kind of stories from you, glad to have you back!!

Thanks guys, I’m extremely pleased that you enjoyed this one. :smiley: Thank you again.

Knight

Wonderful

It is great to see a break in story content from time to time, yes the “D” word is sometimes overused and abused in some stories but this was a nice refreshing story that had a great plot twist at the end. I really enjoyed reading this and I thank you Knight for posting it.

Creepy… but cool.

wow… just… wow. I’m a long time lurker, I think I posted once or twice on the old forum, but I just had to come and say how much I love your writing. I thought I had it all figured out… Man, you pulled a number with this one.

I wish you posted these on FTT as well… I’m a bit of a regular on there, and amazing work like your’s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the new comments guys and gals, I appreciate it. Zamm, I’ve been a lurker at FTT for a while now, I posted some of my stuff there with little result. To me this place is more comfortable…I dunno, maybe that sounds dumb. Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Knight