The Orphanage Of Lost Souls: Chapter Four (Some Language)

Here’s more of the story. :smiley:

Knight

The Orphanage Of Lost Souls
By: Dementia’s Knight

Part I: The Long And Winding Road
Chapter IV: Smokescreen

“There has never yet been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.” Theodore Roosevelt

“Wake the fuck up!” came a man’s voice followed by a hard kick to the sleeping young man’s side.

Anthony cried out in pain and clutched his side. “I’m up sir.” he choked out as he gasped for air.

His father looked down at him. “Good, get your butt in the kitchen and make breakfast.” he said before walking out of the room.

Anthony rolled off his bed and staggered out the door. He looked around the living room as he entered it. The place reeked of cigarette smoke and looked like a tornado had hit it. His father sat in his chair in front of the T.V. as per usual, and he knew another day in Hell had started.

Breakfast consisted of bacon and pancakes which his father ridiculed the entire time he shoveled it into his mouth. Anthony ate his portion quickly and cleaned up the dishes before heading back to his room to get ready for school.

“Anthony!” his father shouted from the living room.

The young man went out to the other room and stood before his father. “Yes sir?” he asked.

“No school today, I need you to do the laundry.” his father dictated.

Anthony felt his body shake with rage. He knew that if he missed anymore school he could kiss any chance of getting out from under his father’s reign goodbye. “No sir, I’m going to school.” he stammered in a frightened tone.

His father looked up at him, surprised at first, but that look quickly faded and was replaced with rage. “What’d you say to me boy?” he asked as he stood up from his chair.

Anthony’s heart began to race. “I said.” he started when his father backhanded him and sent him sprawling to the ground. His mouth filled with familiar coppery accent of blood as he looked up at his father.

“Get up you fuckin’ pussy!” his father shouted as he kicked him in his tail bone.

Anthony felt a new boldness welling up inside him. His body began to act on it’s own, and before he could stop it he was up from the floor and straddling his father’s torso bludgeoning the larger man with his own metallic ashtray. Anthony stopped when he realized he had smashed his father’s face so much that he was now mostly hitting the floor underneath.

Stumbling backward Anthony looked at the pulpy mess that his father’s face had become. He looked at his still shaking hands, blood dripped from his fingers and bits of something sticky and chunky rested between them. He panicked, he ran to the bathroom and threw up, and then washed his hands and face.

“Alright, I need to get out of here.” Anthony thought to himself as he looked at his pale and frightened face in the mirror. “Wait, I need to think about this. I can’t just disappear, once they find his body they’re gonna come looking for me.” he thought.

As Anthony made his way from the bathroom and back to the living room a knock on the door startled him. “Shit, I’m boned.” he thought.

“Anthony, you home?” came the call of his friend Cynthia.

His mind raced. “Yeah, I’ll be out in a second.” he replied.

Running to his room he grabbed his backpack and climbed out his window to meet Cynthia as she stood at the nearby front door of his trailer.

“What’s with climbing out the window?” Cynthia asked.

Anthony sighed. “Umm, my dad needs to sleep his drunk off.” he said.

Cynthia looked at Anthony as they walked, she noticed that his lip was cut and he was walking with a slight limp. “Rough morning?” she asked.

“Yeah, you could say that.” he replied without looking up at her.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

In the middle of Anthony’s history class two police officers came in with the principal. As Anthony watched them enter the room his heart began to race. “Shit, I’m dead.” he thought to himself.

“Mr. Cerra, these gentlemen would like to have a word with you.” his principal said as he beckoned him to come with them.

Anthony got up from his seat and walked toward the officers and followed them out of the classroom. They walked to the principals office where Anthony was told to sit down.

“Anthony, I’m afraid these officer’s have some bad news.” the principal said.

One of the officer’s, a tall and burly black officer stepped forward and took a seat on the edge of the principals desk. “Son, I’m afraid your father has been killed.” he said.

Anthony tried to feign surprise. “What happened?” he asked.

“We were hoping you might be able to help us with that.” the other officer said from behind him. “A neighbor went by the house earlier this morning, she found him on the living room floor, he was apparently the victim of a brutal beating.” he explained.

“Why would I know what happened?” Anthony asked.

The first officer cleared his throat. “We found your fingerprints on the ashtray that appeared to be the murder weapon.” he said.

Anthony felt his body begin to heat up, he started sweating profusely as he looked down at his feet. “It was my house, why wouldn’t my fingerprints be all over everything?” he asked.

The officer smiled. “If we’d found other prints we would think the same thing. We didn’t though Anthony, and we think you know why.” he said.

Anthony suddenly kicked his feet up from the floor and struck the large black officer in front of him in the face, the force caused his chair to fall backward into the officer behind him. Anthony leapt from his chair and ran to the door. As he opened it he felt a tug at his shirt, he writhed and wriggled until the tug went away and he was able to run through the door.

“Freeze!” he heard one of the officer’s yell from behind him.

As Anthony ran, the hallway behind him began to fill with thick black smoke. Anthony made it out of the main office building and he ran to the teacher’s parking lot to find a car to steal.

“Need a lift?” a man’s voice called out to him from one of the parked cars.

Anthony shook his head and continued running to one of the other cars.

“C’mon Anthony, my way’s quicker.” the man said.

Quickly weighing the choices before him Anthony headed to the man’s car and got in. As he did the two officers came out and pointed their guns at the car.

“Anthony! Get out of the car and get down on the ground!” the black officer shouted.

The man in the driver seat pulled a gun from a holster near his chest and put the car in reverse. As the car rolled back he hit the gas and pointed his gun out the window.

Before the two officers could get a shot off the man fired two of his own hitting the two officers square in the forehead. The man put the car into drive and sped away from the school with Anthony screaming in the passenger seat.

“What the fuck man! Who are you?! Let me out of this goddamn car!” Anthony shouted.

The man re-holstered his weapon and sighed. “Look, this drive is gonna be long enough without you screaming the whole way, so just settle down.” he said calmly.

“Stop the car right now and let me out!” Anthony shouted. As he yelled at the man the car began to fill with smoke, starting from Anthony’s body and billowing outward.

The man sighed and hit Anthony in the face with his elbow, knocking him out cold and stopping the smoke. “Goddamn teenagers.” the man said as he rolled down his window to clear the smoke.

Anthony woke slowly, his vision blurry at first. He saw that he was still in the car, but it was no longer moving. Looking around he saw the gray haired man from earlier standing at a nearby pay phone talking to someone.

As quickly and quietly as he could Anthony opened his door and slipped out. Crouching beside the car he inched his way away from the man and into the darkness of the night.

“Look, I know I shouldn’t have hit him, but I’m not you Sarah.” the gray haired man said to the woman on the other end of the line. “I realize that you’re better at this than I am, but you’re injured and in no condition to be recruiting.” he explained. “Yeah, I know that. Just remember that I’m putting my ass on the line here right now. If the Army realizes that I’m playing both sides of the fence then you can kiss my ass goodbye, there will be no more General Anders employed at the DOD.” the man explained.

Anthony looked up as he reached the back end of the car and saw the man still talking on the phone. Taking a deep breath he turned and started to run.

“Shit, he’s trying to make a break for it.” the man said before hanging up the phone and running after Anthony.

Anthony looked behind him and saw the man running after him. Smoke again began to billow from him, trailing behind and making him near impossible to see. As Anthony neared the bathrooms of the rest area he was struck from the side by something and sent flying thirty feet through the air and crashing to the dusty ground of the desert.

The gray haired man saw Anthony go flying and watched the smoke dissipate, revealing a dark figure floating toward Anthony. “Oh no you don’t you ghostly bitch.” he thought as he pulled his gun out again and fired his whole clip at the figure as he ran toward it.

The figure deflected the shots with an invisible barrier. Turning toward the gray haired man the figure raised it’s hands and unleashed a wave of energy at the man.

General Anders dove to the side and avoided the blast. It passed by him and struck his car sending the vehicle tumbling end over end several times before it came to rest on it’s roof several yards away.

Rising quickly, General Anders pulled another gun out and emptied that weapon at the figure, meeting the same result. Now close enough to fight the figure hand to hand the General smiled. “I can’t wait to kill you again, Myra.” he said.

“You did not kill us Wesley, you merely prolonged the inevitable.” the black shrouded woman said in a voice that was a mixture of what seemed like hundreds of individual voices.

“What do want with these kids anyway?” Wesley asked.

Myra made a noise that barely resembled the chuckle that it was supposed to be, instead it sounded more like a choking wheeze. “They are needed for the next step, the final offensive on the imperfect ones.” she said.

Wesley kicked at Myra striking her in the face and sending her hovering back a few feet. “You know you almost killed Sarah when you put her through that wall.” he told her.

“We mean no harm to her, but we cannot let anyone stand in our way.” Myra said before she propelled herself toward Wesley and grabbed him by the throat. “We do mean harm to you however.” she said before she flung the man to the side, sending him flying into the wall of the rest stop bathroom.

Wesley hit the wall hard enough to crack the brick. He cried out as he hit the wall and crashed to the ground. Looking up from where he lay he saw Myra move to Anthony and pick him up from the ground, she turned around with Anthony in her arms and hovered motionless for a moment.

“Do not cross us again Wesley, if you do we will be forced to end your life.” she said before she disappeared in dark flash.

Wesley stood up slowly and limped his way to the pay phone. He put his money in and dialed Sarah’s number.

“Myra showed up.” he said simply.

Sarah sighed. “Did she get Anthony?” she asked.

“Yeah, she got him. She said she needs the kids for some kind of war.” Wesley explained.

“Alright, just get back here as soon as you can, I don’t feel safe here with the kids if I can’t protect them.” Sarah said.

Wesley nodded. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.” he said and hung up the phone.

He stared at his overturned car for a moment and sighed as he walked toward it to try and get it back on it’s wheels and operational again.

Anthony woke up for the third time in less than twenty-four hours. He looked around at his surroundings, he saw that he was in some kind of classroom. The room was dark, but he could still make out the shapes of desks and what appeared to be a desk at the front of the room.

“This was my fist classroom.” a strange voice said from beside him.

Anthony jumped up and backed away from the dark shrouded woman. “Christ, wear a frickin’ bell woman!” he shouted.

Myra stood up and walked toward him, she no longer floated above the ground as she normally did. “I was brought here when I was only seven years old. They told me that they wanted to help me control my gift.” she explained. “What they really wanted was to exploit my abilities for their own selfish gain.” she said.

“Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but what the hell are you babbling about?” Anthony asked her.

“You’re only fifteen years old, and yet you’re in the middle of a war that will change the world.” Myra said. In the darkness of the room she removed the shroud that covered her face and smiled at Anthony.

Anthony stepped back, his face pale and mouth agape. He struggled to grasp what he was seeing, he knew it couldn’t be possible, and yet here he was looking at a face he thought he’d never see again in his entire life. “Mom?” he asked in disbelief.

Myra touched the surprised young boy’s face and looked down at him. “Yes Anthony, mommy’s here for you.” she said with a smile. “We’re together again, and nothing can tear us apart.” she told him as she opened her arms for a hug.

Anthony hesitated for a moment and then wrapped his arms around his mother. “Why did you leave mom?” he asked as he began to cry.

Myra stroked the crying boy’s hair. “I couldn’t bear to be your father’s punching bag anymore.” she confessed.

Anthony broke from her after a moment. “But you left me, you left me with him so I could be his punching bag.” he told her.

“Anthony, I’m sorry. But I’m here now, and now that your father is dead, nothing will ever separate us again.” she said with a smile.

“How did you know he was dead?” Anthony asked as he took a few cautious steps backward.

Myra smiled. “I heard it on the news.” she explained.

Anthony shook his head. “Who are you really?” he asked.

Myra sighed and sent a wave of force at Anthony that sent the young man sliding backward across the floor until he hit the wall at the front of the room and slumped over.

“Should have just been happy with what we offered.” Myra said as she put her shroud back on and moved to retrieve her unconscious captive.

To Be Continued…

Feel free to comment, I need feedback on my abilities as a story teller. Positive or negative, lemme know what you guys think. :smiley: Thanks in advance.

Knight