The Orphanage Of Lost Souls: Chapter One

Trying my hand at non-fetish work, lemme know what you guys think. Thanks.

Knight

The Orphanage Of Lost Souls
By:Dementia’s Knight

Part I: The Long And Winding Road
Chapter I: Shudder

“Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

The sobs of the young woman were barely audible over the water of the shower. Bloody, dirty water flowed from where she sat in the tub and swirled around the drain before disappearing from sight. The young brunette sat with her knees pulled up to her chest and her face buried in her legs as the water rained down on her.

Torn, bloody, and mud caked clothes lay in a heap next to the tub, soon to be the only sign of what had happened to the young woman tonight. As the final remnants of grime and gore were washed off her body and her tears and cries were silenced, the young woman rose slowly from her position on the floor of the tub and shut off the shower. Her mind would not allow her to look down at the pile of clothes next to the tub for fear of a renewed breakdown as she left the shower and went to the mirror.

The mirror had long been fogged over by the heavy curtain of steam that still hung in the air of the bathroom. The young woman pressed her hand to the mirror and slowly wiped the fog away, creating a small window of reflection where only her eyes could be seen. The bloodshot eyes of the young girl only served to accent her brilliant and shimmering blue eyes, which now bored back into her through the mirror as if she were sitting in judgment of herself.

“You caused this.” her mind accused. “You killed them all.” it continued.

“Shut up!” she shouted at the voice, her tears reforming in her eyes and the lump in her throat aching with a new vigor.

“What’s the matter Callista? Can’t bear to hear the truth?” the voice in her mind asked.

Callista’s hands began to shake with rage as she raised them to her face and pressed her fingers against her throbbing head. “I need you to shut up now.” she commanded with a faltering and weak voice.

The voice in her mind began to giggle in a way that was terrifying to her. “Callista, how does it feel to be the cause of the deaths of so many? Does it make you feel powerful?” the voice inquired before lapsing into another fit of sinister giggles. “My favorite part was the screams,” the voice said with a malicious and satisfied slurping sound, “so delicious.” it concluded.

“I said, SHUT UP!” Callista screamed. A pulse emitted from the young girl at the moment she lashed out at the voice, causing the mirror in front of her to shatter and the lights in the bathroom to flicker before they also exploded. In the darkness of the bathroom a sinister cackle faded away and the sobs of Callista Rhen began anew.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

The school bus rolled along the road as the teens and parents inside carried on conversations with one another. Callista sat near the back with her headphones on and her ipod playing, watching with disdain as her own parents talked with some of the kids on the bus.

“Why did they have to come?” she wondered to herself as her mother caught her gaze and waved to her.

Callista feigned a smile and waved back and scooted down in her seat so she was no longer visible. “So embarrassing.” she thought as she looked out the window at the sprawling desert they were passing.

At some point during the long bus ride to the Grand Canyon, Callista fell asleep. She dreamed of a woman in black walking toward her. The tall woman had no visible face, just a blur where her face should have been. As she walked toward Callista she spoke in a raspy voice that was barely above a whisper. “Awaken.” was all she kept repeating.

The woman’s voice bore into Callista’s mind like a drill. It penetrated her hands as she covered her ears and caused her to cry out in pain as the sound rose to a deafening crescendo. The woman loomed above Callista and reached down to grab her causing the young girl to begin screaming.

“Callista! Wake up!” her mother shouted as she grabbed her screaming daughter by the arms and shook her.

Callista’s eyes shot open, her once brilliant blue eyes were now solid black as she looked up and saw the woman in black shaking her. A twinge in the back of her mind began building, becoming a tremor that rolled over her entire body. With a simple force of her will the tremor rippled outward, shattering the windows of the bus.

The force ripped through her mother first, tearing flesh from muscle and muscle from bone. Her mother screamed for only a second before she was literally disintegrated by the wave. The other students on the bus had no time to react before the wave hit them as well. Some went the way of Callista’s mother, while others were torn apart by shrapnel from the bus being ripped open like a tin can.

Callista tumbled backward when the force blew out the back of the bus and sent her crashing to the road where she rolled roughly across the asphalt. The bus careened down the road, a shattered husk of it’s original form. The carnage within the tattered remains was gut wrenching. Limbs were strewn about, disfigured and dismembered bodies were scattered in all different ways, and as the bus rolled over the cliff off the side of the road, it left the only survivor unconscious on the highway.

“Alright people, as some of you may already be aware, we’ve gotten reports of a potential terrorist attack on a school bus near Jacob Lake Arizona. Details are still coming in, but it looks like there are no survivors.” the tall gray haired man told the gathering of people in the conference room.

The people at the table mumbled to themselves about the tragedy of the news, and questioned what kind of monster would attack a school bus full of children.

“People! I know this is a tragic event, but we need to keep our heads and find out who’s behind this. Now, you all have your groups briefings in front of you and I expect you to put everyone’s shoulders to the wheel until we catch whoever did this.” the man explained.

The room began to clear out soon after the man had finished speaking, the people filing out and carrying on conversations about revenge and further outrage. Once the rest of the group had left one person remained in the room with the gray haired man.

“Sir, we have reports from our satellites that there was a spike in alpha brain wave patterns in the area of the bus wreckage.” the blonde man said.

The gray haired man took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose as he shut his eyes tightly and sighed. “That’s not the kind of news I want to hear Tom.” the gray haired man said.

Tom looked down at the floor like a scolded dog. “Yes sir, I understand that, but the fact remains that this doesn’t look like a terrorist attack given that intel. It seems like another emergence.” he said.

“Alright, if this was an emergence then we need to find out if any of the kids from the bus are missing and then our top priority is to find them and bring them in.” the gray haired man said as he stood from his chair.

Tom smiled and pulled a file folder from under his arm and slid it across the table to his boss. “Already done sir.” he said.

The gray haired man opened the folder and looked at the yearbook picture of a young girl. “Callista Rhen.” he read the name under the photo aloud and sighed again. “Make certain that this is our girl, and then bring her in.” he said.

Tom nodded and turned to leave the room.

“Tom.” the gray haired man said, causing Tom to turn around again. “Next time you have vital information about a case you share it with me before the team brief, is that understood?” the man asked.

“Yes General, it won’t happen again sir.” Tom said before quickly scuttling out of the room.

“How did I get here?” Callista wondered as she sat in the dark of her room. She remembered everything about the accident on the bus, and she remembered being at home in the shower, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t remember the trip from one to the other.

The walk back to her house was more than thirty miles, which pretty much ruled that out as a possibility given the time she’d gotten out of the shower was only about three hours after the time of the bus accident. “How did I get home?” she asked herself again.

As if to answer her question a flash of memory went through her mind. She saw a black car pull up on the side of the road where she was laying. The memory became blurry and shifted in speed from normal to very fast before it faded away. Then another flash came, she was laying on the backseat of the car and was looking up at the driver, a black haired women with pale skin. The memory faded away again, and was replaced with one of the woman carrying her up the stairs of her house, she saw her family photos pass by as they climbed, and saw the woman’s face much clearer now.

The woman had classically beautiful features, her blue eyes were warm and kind, and were striking in contrast to her black hair. The woman smiled at Callista as she moved into the bathroom with her and set her in the tub and began removing the gore stained and filthy clothes she had on.

“Who are you?” Callista asked weakly, her voice weary and hoarse.

The woman smiled at Callista and helped her lay back against the shower wall before she turned the faucet on and let the shower rain down on the filthy girl. “Not just yet Callista, but soon.” she said before she put her hand over Callista’s eyes and helped them close, sending Callista back into darkness.

Callista gasped and began to breathe heavily as the memory final faded away, she realized that she’d been holding her breath the entire time and took in air greedily as she recovered. Standing from her bed Callista went to her window and looked out at the dark clouds that hung in the sky, as the first distant roar of thunder pierced the silence Callista wondered who the woman that had helped her was, and more importantly how she seemed to know about everything that had happened.

Tom knocked on General Anders’ door and entered when commanded to.

“What is it Tom?” the General asked.

“Sir, I’ve checked and re-checked, and this Callista Rhen is the only unaccounted body in the bus attack. I’ve got Eagle Team en route to her house, hopefully we’ll find her there and can bring her in.” Tom explained.

General Anders nodded. “Good, I want to know when the team gets there and I want to be on comms with them during the mission.” he said.

“Yes sir.” Tom said before leaving the office.

The General folded his hands in front of his face and looked down at Callista’s picture on his desk. “I hope your our girl.” he whispered to the picture as he fished his cell phone from his pocket and hit a number on it. “You’ve only got a few minutes to get to her before they do.” he told the person on the other end before he hung up.

Callista watched the rain start to fall outside and wiped the brimming tears from her eyes as she thought once again about her friends and her parents. She sighed deeply, fogging the window up with her breath. As she wiped the fog away she saw a large truck come down her street slowly, the headlights were off and there were two black SUV’s traveling closely behind it.

“What the hell?” she wondered. Suddenly she became afraid, and rushed to her closet and grabbed a backpack and shoved some clothes into it. “They’re here to arrest me.” she thought as she put her arms through the loops in the pack and slipped her shoes on and ran out of her room and down her stairs.

As she neared the front door she saw several flashlight beams shine through the front windows of the house. She quickly spun on her heels and ran for the back patio door. A soldier came around the back of the house and neared the patio door as Callista opened it and slipped out.

“Freeze!” the soldier shouted, pointing the flashlight beam and his weapon at Callista.

The young girl spun around, her face filled with horror. The light of the flashlight kept her from seeing the soldier, but it didn’t stop her from being terrified of him.

“Down on the ground, now!” the soldier barked at her.

Callista felt the twinge of power build up in her mind again, this time it gained power much quicker and flowed from her a second later. The patio door shattered and the corner of the house blew away as if it were made of sand, and the soldier exploded in a thick mist of blood and bone and flesh with a scream that ended as quickly as it started.

Her nose began to bleed as she dropped to her knees, her mind wobbly and fading in and out of coherent thought. “Get up!” her mind shouted at her body. Rising slowly she turned and started to run on shaky legs to the backyard gate and into the alley. Somewhere she heard shouting and then a pop that might have been a gunshot, she didn’t turn around she just kept running down the alley. When she neared the end of the alley a black car pulled up in front of her.

The driver side window rolled down revealing the woman that had taken her home after the accident. “Still wanna know who I am?” the woman asked with a small smile.

Callista looked behind her, the rain blurring her vision, she saw several dark figures running down the alley toward her, she saw a flash from one of the figures and screamed when the back driver side window of the car shattered.

“Get in!” the woman shouted, snapping the young girl out of her daze.

Callista opened the back door and climbed in as the tires squealed and the car fishtailed for a moment on the wet street before speeding away into the night.

The woman pulled out her phone and hit a number. “I’ve got her.” she said before hanging up and looking at Callista in the rearview mirror. “You alright?” she asked.

Callista started to answer but hunched over and threw up instead before she passed out.

The woman smiled back at Callista and continued to drive the unconscious girl to safety.

To Be Continued…

Interesting venue Knight, Please keep it up as you have piqued my interest.

Good so far. Can’t wait to read more

I’m definitely waiting for more! I love it when you write :slight_smile: