Time To Pay The Piper Chapter 8

Hi Folks,

This one took a good amount of time to type out. I’m sick again and spend more time backspacing than typing what I want to say because my hands don’t work right when I’m sick. I’m starting to wonder if using a peg on my wrist would be better at this point.

In any case, alot of things begin with this chapter.

Hope you like it,

Enjoy!!!

BabyButt

Chapter 8

Once they had Steve out of the room, one of the officers came over with the dress Abby had worn earlier. Seeing it, Abby sobbed “Please, get me something else. I can’t wear that again!”

Charles asked “Do you have a blanket in one of the squad cars? I’ll see that it gets returned.”

“Sure.” the officer said, and came back in a moment later holding the blanket.

Charles wrapped her snug in the blanket, and carried her to Richard’s car. He got into the back seat and held her close, still rocking her gently. He looked to Richard and asked “Can we go to my place on third? It’s out of the way and less people will see her. I have a private entrance.”

“Sure.” Richard answered, and started driving. When they got close, Charles gave him directions turn by turn until they pulled into an underground garage.

“This way.” Charles said as he carried Abby toward an elevator. He punched in a code and the elevator doors opened. A moment later, they opened into a foyer.

Abby noticed there was white marble everywhere. Gold or brass trimmed most of the glass shelves, and when Charles carried her further in, she saw floor to ceiling windows with a view of the ocean that took her breath away.

“Give us just a second, she needs some clothes.” Charles told Richard and carried her into a bedroom. Once he closed the door, he said “Stand here for a moment Sweety.” as he went to put her down on her feet. Abby clung to him, and he saw tears forming as she looked at him with a frightened expression.

Abby didn’t want to let go of him. He rescued her from what was certain to be a horrible situation, and she felt safe in his arms.

“It’s OK, Baby. Daddy’s not going anywhere, I promise.” he told her, appealing to the child. He felt her relax and stood her up. Walking to the closet, he opened it, and looked to see what he had there that she could put on. Not seeing anything, he stepped back and ran right into Abby. She had followed him the five steps to the closet. “Sorry Sweety, I didn’t see you move.” he told her with a smile. Taking her hand, he led her to the bathroom and pulled a robe from the back of the door. Rolling the sleeves, he wrapped her up in it, and tied it closed. They headed back to the livingroom where Richard waited and Charles sat down on the couch. Abby climbed up on the couch next to him, sitting on her knees, taking great pains not to put any pressure on her sore bottom.

“Sweety, I need you to give some information to Richard here. He needs a statement. At some point, you’re going to have to testify against Mr. Granger and Steve Carlton, and your statement now will be important.” Charles explained.

With a shudder, Abby said “Alright.”

Richard looked to Abby, seeing what looked like a little girl wrapped up in her daddy’s robe, and said “OK Abby, I need to ask some questions, and they’re not going to be pleasant ones. I apologize if this makes you uncomfortable, but it’s necessary. Let’s start with a few easy ones. What is your full name?”

“Abigail Grace Stone” she answered.

“And how old are you?”

“Twenty two as of April fifth.”

“Where do you live?”

“23954 Rider Drive.”

“And how long have you lived there?” he asked.

“About a year and a half.”

“I know this is going to sound terrible, but I have to ask. Have you ever participated in prostitution?” Richard asked with a wince.

“What?!?” Abby asked with shock. Then the image of her on her knees earlier came back to her. Tears came without her consent, and she answered “No.” with a tearful voice. In a round about fashion, that’s exactly what she’d done. She may have been coerced into it, but there was no denying that she had been willing to offer the use of her body in return for the payment of a debt. Her self respect evaporated as she cried.

Charles reached out and took her hand as he watched her reaction to that question. He knew what she was thinking, it was written clearly on her face. The thought of her even being in the room with Carlton brought anger, and with it the question he didn’t want to think about. Did she do the same with him. Did she agree to spend time with him and sleep with him in hopes she could get the money to pay this debt. The thought was a difficult one to think about. It didn’t make sense though, because she had turned down any help he offered with clearing the debt with Granger. They would have to have a frank discussion later about all of this.

The interview continued for some time, producing more tears when Abby was required to explain in her own words what had happened from the time she entered Carlton’s home. Finally, all of the questions were asked, and the issue of what to do now came up.

“I would like to put her under our protection.” Richard told Charles.

“No. Don’t take this the wrong way Richard, but I think I have a lot more resources available than you do to keep Abby safe.” Charles answered.

“This isn’t a game Charles, she’s in real danger.”

“I know, but I love her, and there is no way I’m going to leave her in anyone else’s care.” Charles said with absolutely no room for discussion.

While Abby loved hearing him say that, she got angry. “I’m sitting right here you know. Don’t you think I have a say in what happens to me?” she asked hotly.

Charles couldn’t help it. He got angry. “I realize you’re sitting there. I didn’t ask you, because you’ve shown today that you sometimes make very bad decisions when it comes to your safety. Did you know that Granger didn’t care if he got you back? All he wanted was the money. There was a good possibility that you would have died at the hands of that fat bastard. He knew you had no family and few friends, Granger told him. He didn’t know about me. That is the only reason your not still there, in God knows what shape. If you think your bottom feels bad now, think about several days spent at the hands of that filth.” he told her hotly.

Abby sat there in shock. “How do you know this?” she asked.

“Because I employ people that are very good at getting information. Also, he as much as admitted it to Richard.” Charles told her, getting his anger under control as he watched understanding cross her face. With that came fear, and she climbed into his lap, facing him and clung to him trembling. “It’s alright Sweety. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. Well, yes I did. I want you to understand the danger you’re in.” he explained.

Richard saw Abby behaving like a child, and looked directly to Charles and nodded his head toward the door. Charles nodded once, giving him an expression that said “Give me a little bit to calm her down.” When Abby had settled, he said “I need to talk to Richard for a bit, do you want to get a shower?”

The thought of washing the filth from that man off of her body appealed to her greatly. Enough so, that she was willing to be apart from Charles to do it. “Yes.” she said firmly.

“Alright, come on, I’ll show you where everything is.” Charles told her and picked her up, carrying her, as he made his way into the master bathroom. When he set her down, he said “Sweety, I love you. I couldn’t deal with losing you. Please, just do this my way for now, OK?”

“OK.” she told him. Giving him a kiss, she said “I would rather have died there, than be without you.”

Charles hugged her tightly for a moment, then said “Take a long shower, then we can talk.”

“Alright.” she replied and removed the robe.

When she turned to step into the shower, Charles saw the angry bruises forming on her small behind. Tears stung his eyes, and he quickly left the bathroom before he lost control of his emotions. He closed the bedroom door as he made his way back to the livingroom.

“Is she mentally stable?” Richard asked as Charles sat down.

“Yes, as much as anyone that had gone through what she did today can be.” Charles answered.

“She sometimes behaves like a child.”

“I know. It’s unique, but sometimes she needs a daddy instead of a boyfriend. I humor her. Actually, I enjoy the time she spends that way.” Charles told him. “It’s a game we play now and again. Under the circumstances, it doesn’t surprise me that she would react that way.” he added.

“Alright, how you two relate is your business, but I’m going to need her to get a psychological evaluation done. I can’t base a case on the testimony of a woman that spends some of her time as a little girl without some certification that she’s sound.” Richard explained.

“Fair enough.” Charles said.

“Look Charles, we’ve been friends a long time. Any idiot could see that you love her. The problem is you’ve opened a can of worms, are you prepared to eat them?” Richard asked with concern.

Charles knew what he was saying. Abby came with baggage. He was asking if Charles was willing to deal with that baggage in order to be with her. “I’m damn sure gonna try.” Charles answered.

“Want some advice?” Richard asked.

“Shoot.”

“If you gotta eat worms, YOU choose the condiments.” he told Charles with a smile.

“Thanks.” Charles responded. Richard was right. If he was going to deal with the problems Abby brought, he would do it on his terms. He loved her, but couldn’t spend the rest of their lives dashing in to save her. A thought occurred to him and he said “I’m going to hide her. No one will know who or where she is but me and one other person that I trust. If you need to talk to her, I will arrange to meet, but you won’t know where she is.” When he saw Richard start to object, he simply asked “Has your department ever lost a witness?”

Richard didn’t have anything to say to that. He knew they had. “Alright, we’ll play it your way. But if I need to talk to her, It may need to be quick.”

“I’ll get you a secure sat phone. That way you’ll be able to talk with her whenever it’s needed. If you need to see her, that will have to wait until I can arrange it.” Charles answered.

“I don’t like it, but I’ll live with it.” he told Charles. “One more thing.” he started with a pained expression on his face. “She’s broken the law Charles. It’s illegal to place bets the way she did. I am going to try to get the DA to let it go in return for her testimony, but I can’t guarantee that he will.”

“Whatever the DA decides, let me know first, will you please?” Charles asked.

Not entirely comfortable with it, Richard answered “Alright, but only if you promise not to keep her from facing the music if it becomes necessary.”

“You have my word.” Charles answered.

Several minutes later when Richard had left, Charles made several phone calls. He had an idea that would help to keep her safe, and prevent her from making a dangerous decision that would endanger her life. When Abby finished her shower, he sat her down in the living room, her on the couch, him sitting across from her in the chair. “Alright Sweety, tell me what I don’t know.” he told her.

It took two hours for Abby to relate everything about her dealings with Mr. Granger. She explained that she had been introduced to him by an acquaintance. She told him that she had placed several bets over the last year, had hit some and lost more. “I was trying to put together the money to start a life.” she explained. She continued to offer details to him until she’d told him everything she could think of. When she finished, he started asking questions.

“Why didn’t you tell me this was a problem?” he asked her.

“Because I didn’t want you to walk away from me.” she said as tears started slowly making their way down her cheeks.

“I can understand that, but the part that bothers me is, instead of leveling with me about this and taking a chance on losing me, you chose a path that has put both of us in danger. Did you even think about that?” he asked.

“What do you mean?” she asked perplexed.

“Abby, Mr. Granger was arrested, but he has a bunch of people working for him. He also had a lot of money. That means that if someone really pisses him off, like you have, then he won’t just let this drop. We’re not finished with this yet. The fact that I was the one that led the police to his door puts me as number two on his list, you’re number one.” Charles told her. He didn’t want to make things worse for her, but he did want her to have some idea of the gravity of the situation.

That scared her. It never occurred to her that she would be putting Charles in danger. “Why in the world did I ever place that bet?” she thought. When she heard his next question, she cringed and couldn’t look at him.

“Why did you agree to spend the day with me?” he asked her.

Trying to avoid the question she asked “What day?”

“At the restaurant.” he clarified, knowing full well that she knew exactly what he was talking about.

She hesitated for a long time before telling him “I saw a way to solve the problem with Mr. Granger.” as she began to cry.

“At least you’re being honest.” he told her with pain in his expression. “What changed your mind?” he asked.

“You did.” she told him looking straight at him. “At first, it was a game. When I played the little girl in the restaurant for you, it made you nuts, I could see it. The time at the fair was to keep you interested. I hadn’t counted on you swatting my butt at the park and preventing me from doing something I’d regret. That’s when things started to change. By the evening, I didn’t want your money, I wanted you. I decided then that I had to find another way. Later, when I said what I did, and came out of the bathroom, I meant what I said.” she explained through her tears.

“Alright, I have to admit that I wasn’t entirely up front either.” he explained with a pained expression. “I was at the restaurant the night before you waited on me. I saw you, and had to get to know you. I paid your manager for your name and address, and had a background done on you. That’s the only reason I came back the second night. You’re background checked out.” he admitted.

Abby was worried now. How much did he know about the other bookies? She didn’t want to tell him this unless she absolutely had to. One shows a lack of judgment, she admitted to herself. Seven shows a real problem.

“Alright, anything else I need to know about?” he asked, knowing there was more, but wanting to see if she would volunteer it.

Abby just sat there. She was certain that if she told him, she would be asked to leave the apartment. She couldn’t bring herself to answer. If she lied to him, he would rid himself of her. If she told him, the results would be the same.

“Abigail!” he said loudly. “Now is the time for honesty. When I told you not to lie to me, I meant it. Hiding something is the same as lying.”

“There are more.” she told him crying hard now.

“More what?” he asked, wanting to hear her say it.

“More bookies.” she answered.

“How many?” he asked.

“Six.” she answered.

“Thank God she didn’t lie.” he thought. If she had, he would have ended this right now, love or no love. “How much?” he asked.

“Alot.” she told him. “I don’t know exactly.”

“Give me an idea.” he demanded.

“Several thousand. More by now.” she responded.

“You ran.” he said. When she nodded, he said “Come here.”

Abby felt like she was walking to the gallows. Slowly, she got down off of her knees on the couch and walked to stand in front of him.

“Look at me Abigail.” he told her. When she looked up with tearful eyes, he steeled himself. He wanted nothing better than to pick her up and rock her. He knew if he did, it would be a mistake. “Let me tell you what you’re going to do. You’re going to write down the numbers of all six of the bookies that you owe money to. I’m going to put this money out, to keep you from getting hurt. You are going to pay it back to me, understand?” When she nodded her head, he continued. “The only reason you’re still in this apartment and part of my life, is you told the truth. I knew about the other six. I didn’t figure it out until this morning, but I knew.”

The look of surprise on her face told him that she thought he’d throw her out. “I need your word, right here and right now, that the illegal gambling stops now. If every now and again you want to take a trip to Vegas with me, or Atlantic City, that’s fine. But no more calling sleaze bags and placing bets.”

“I promise.” she said tearfully.

“Abigail, this isn’t a little girl’s promise. I need your word on this.” he clarified, wanting to make his point clear.

“You have my word Charles.” she told him earnestly.

“I’ll take your word on that, but nothing else just yet. You can’t blame me for not trusting you at this point.” he said.

“I know.” she answered.

“I don’t trust the lady, but I can trust the little girl.” he said honestly. “The reason I can trust the little girl, is you don’t leave a little girl to make decisions that can hurt them or anyone else.” he explained. “Abby, I need to hide you. It’s the only way to keep you safe. Unfortunately, I can’t go with you.” he told her.

Charles was not entirely surprised when she began sobbing, hugged him tightly and cried “Please don’t send me away! I’ll be good I promise!”

“I’m not sending you away, I need to put you where no one can find you.” he told her. “Unfortunately half the people on the planet know who I am. If I go with you, I will put you in danger, and I can’t deal with that.” he explained as he hugged her and kissed her cheek. Just then the doorbell rang. She gripped him tighter. “Look Sweety, I need to get the door, and I don’t want you to be seen. Stay right here for a moment.” he said as he pulled her away from him. He picked up a remote and turned the television on. When he saw a man with clothing sized for a child, he relaxed. “It’s alright, it’s just clothes for you.” he explained.

That made Abby feel better. She stood where she was as he went to answer the door. When he returned holding a suitcase and a little girl’s outfit, she looked at him curiously.

Kneeling down on the carpet in front of her, he took her hands in his. “Abigail, I need you to do something for me. No one is going to know who you are where you’re going, but the one person I trust to see to you’re care. I need you to be a little girl while you’re there. This isn’t a game Abby, the games stop now. This is so important to me, that I’m going to tell you right now, if you can’t do this, then I will give you some money and you can run, but our relationship will be over.” he told her with tears forming. He really hoped she would agree to this, but if she didn’t, he meant what he said, he would let her go.

“I can’t handle worrying if you’re safe.” he said tearfully. “I just can’t do that.” he added and took a moment to collect himself. “While you’re there, I want you to be a little child.” he started.

“I’m not a baby!” she said hotly.

“No you’re not, and I don’t want you to be.” he told her quickly. “I had more like a six year old in mind.” he added.

Abby felt better when she heard that. “Why?” she asked.

“Because it solves several problems. First and most importantly, it prevents you from doing something that will get you or someone else hurt. It also makes it easier to hide you. They’re looking for a woman that is the size of a nine year old, not a nine year old that is behaving immaturely. Understand?” he asked.

“Yeah, but how long?” she asked.

“Well, that I don’t know yet. It may be for several weeks. I’m going to try something that may limit it to only a week.” he told her. “But I want you to understand CLEARLY, if you agree to do this, then you do it all the time. You become the little child. Everyone around you will treat you just like you were six. That mean that they will decide what you eat, when you sleep, everything. You will have no say in what happens while you’re there. Also, if you speak or act like anything but a six year old, you will be punished like a child.” he explained with a serious expression.

Tears came again for Abby. While she liked being Daddy’s little girl, she had no desire to do this while being cared for by strangers. “Do I have to?” she asked tearfully.

“Yes Baby, please do this for me. I really don’t want to lose you, I love you.” he answered.

“I love you too. Enough to be six.” she told him tearfully as she hugged him again.

“Thank you.” he whispered in her ear as he hugged her tightly for a while. “Alright, anything else you want to talk about before we begin?” he asked several minutes later.

Abby knew he meant that he wanted her to start being little now. “Will I be able to call you?” she asked.

“Yes, I have given the lady that will care for you a secure phone so that you can call me if you need to. All you have to do is tell her you want to talk to Daddy.” he said with a smile.

Crying a bit harder, she asked “You promise you’ll only be away for a little while Daddy?” giving in to his desire.

“Yes Baby, I promise. If it looks like this will take longer, I’ll find a way to spend a day or two with you, will that be alright?” he asked.

Abby just nodded her head. He picked her up and held her for a bit, rocking her gently. He had to remind himself not to touch her bottom several times. After Abby settled down a bit, he pulled her back from him and said “Daddy’s gonna get you dressed and ready to go. While I dress you, I’ll tell you all about the nice lady that’s gonna take care of you. Her name is Miss Adela.” and headed back to the bedroom.

I just finished the last two chapters. Boy, did this story take a dark turn! Not that I’m complaining, mind you, and of course it was somewhat to be expected given Abby’s situation. Nicely written as always, BB.

Hmmm… well I certainly didn’t expect this.

Please write more! and quickly! I’m as addicted to this story as your last one. :smiley:

Edit: I don’t suppose you could get past a good portion of the drama and get back to kinda-sorta happiness by the time I get home from my first day of class on Monday/Tuesday, could you? :slight_smile:

I love this story, but I will say this…if the Private Investigator had done his job properly in the first place…they wouldn’t be in this mess.

-Lizzy

Me too.

From reading this chapter, I can well see why you would think that I had obtained a copy of your outline!!!

It just means that my way of thinking appears to be along the same lines as yours.

Again this chapter has been very well done.

I can certainly see why a Police officer would need to have a psychological evaluation done, considering what he witnessed.

Having Abby become a little girl seems to well be the safest way around this, as you have indicated, it keeps her from making silly decisions with regards to who to borrow money from, and due to her size, makes it easier as she will be able to blend in with other children.

It was also well done with the touch of reality with regards to the fact that she has broken the law, as they could not arrest Granger, and have her testify against him, and not have that addressed in some way. Lets hope that with the extreme peril that she is in, that the DA actually shows mercy with regards to this. Though if they do a full investigation, it may well turn up that she has done the same placing of the bets with other bookies.

It was also great to see that Charles is going to lend her the money to get rid of the other bookies. Lets just hope that they are not as evil as Granger. I get the feeling that Charles only said that she had to pay the money back to allow her some dignity.

It was also good to see that Charles came clean and told her about the investigation that he had done. This now puts them both in the clear with no skeletons in the closet, which is the best way by far for a relationship to move forward.

As a side note to the comment made by Lizzy with regards to the Private Investigator doing his job properly, with the information that we have been provided, it has only been about 48 hours since Abby met Charles, and at the restaurant when she made the call to Granger, it was already too late. I doubt he would have backed down even if he had the money in his hands.

Hi All,

I apologize to those who posted. In the process of trying to get chapter 9 written and posted, I forgot to take the time to respond here. From my perspective, if you’re going to take the time to provide feedback, then I should respond.

Thanks for the input Tommy, and yes, as you pointed out, it was somewhat to be expected. I can tell you that things will get a bit worse and then much better.

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, as I learned as a child, you can’t get your desert without having choked down those nasty lima beans on your plate. :smiley:

Thanks for the compliment!:smiley: As far as the PI, well wimsett has it right. There really wasn’t enough time to get the details.

Thanks wimsett, for taking the time to give feedback, it helps a great deal.

Yes, there’s no way they could realistically proceed without one.

As Charles indicated, she really doesn’t take the time to think when it comes to her safety. The fact that she showed up at Cranston’s home in the first place show this best of all.

Without giving anything away, I can tell you that the six that she told Charles about are the only bets outstanding. She did tell the truth there. At this point the Authorities only have information on the one.

Yes, but more importantly it allows her to take responsibility. Early in this story we learned that she either found someone else to pay it for her, or she ran.

I definitely agree with you about this.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I really appreciate the feedback!

BabyButt