What does everyone think of this?

LINKY
I think that the schools involved majorly stuffed up the delivery aspect of this news to the other pupils. i also think that the parents are a little mad for allowing their child to do this in such a public manner. im just wondering what other peoples reactions are to this.

edit: fixed the link now sorry!

Re: What does everyone think of this?

The link doesn’t work. Even if you fix the URL, it takes you to a 404 on the Sun’s Web site.

The link worked for me.

As for what I think, I don’t really have an opinion.

Vickie, there have been two cases: one is a boy of twelve (story broke last week) and this week there’s a boy of nine as well.

Personally, I think that people should suck it up and move on with their lives. Their kids aren’t all suddenly going to ‘catch’ it.

Actually a therapist would recommend exactly that if there was a reasonable belief the kid would be able to successfully integrated into the same school under their new identity with a minimum of problems. Remember that most of the kids friends were in that school and most likely already knew about the situation, thus making it easier than starting at an entirely new school under a new identity.

When such a student does come to a school, to do as they did at this school is absurd. Having an assembly (and without notifying parents), then being told as they were in this manner … being told they should stick up if the girl is bullied … having her new name plastered above her coat peg … and THEN being told, “But treat her just like any other student!” How CAN they, when no one else has?

Yeah, that part they handled badly. There shouldn’t have been an assembly, and by having one the parents should have been notified in advance.

That being said, if they had handled the situation properly there would have been no parent notifications unless the kids asked questions anyway as the proper handling would have been to keep it as quiet as possible and to answer any questions that might by asked by the kids if/when they noticed something.

im confused, so did the boy literally become a girl like operation? or just like dress as one?

Just dress. You have to be 18 to get the surgery because of the hormone treatments required really fuck with your body if you’re on them while going through puberty.

right so like the boy had feelings to be a girl? so he told i presume the teachers? they were like hmmm… okay lets talk to the parents and arrange it? so they did. he came to school as a girl, and no other parent was told about it?

Essentially except she probably told her parents, not teacher. It’s rare for a child with such feelings to tell an adult who isn’t a parent if they even tell anyone as most won’t.

I just think they are submiting their child to more needless negative attention this way. If when the child is old enough to make his/her own disicions they decide to go out dressed as their prefered gender then that is their choice. (In the uk the age of responsibility for your own actions is legislated at 16 with discresion on an individual basis to a minimum age of 12 [subject to intense scrutiny] people below that age are deemed to not understand/be able to fathom the consequences of your own actions) I just think that the parents arent considering that at 9 the child probably (and legally) doesnt understand the implications that such actions would have. If the child really seems sure that (s)he want to dress as the other gender then i really dont see the harm in it in controled circumstances (at home/family outings etc) but schools are inheritly unpredictable enviroments due to the pupil/teacher ratio being so low.

and i said a little mad not insane, a little mad is what you are when you make a desicion that goes as criticly wrong as this (in both cases the families are under police protection due to the way this was handled (in one case because the parents refused to allow the school to notify the other parents before hand))
(also i belive ive pointed out before the worlds a mad place and im looking for the way out of the asylum (just to say hi to the guards, i know which side of the door i belong on))

and im not judgeing people here, i have an opinion. People who dont know the differnce between the two should refrain from commenting.

The law for sex changes over here are that the process can only begin after puberty. However, there is a foreign precedent for delaying the onset of puberty and they want to try and go down that route in order that they can decide when they’re older without having developed decisively male features.

I’ll have to make a longer reply later but I want to point out my replies are based on 18 years of personal experience from the patient side of things.

God dammit this article pisses me off.

It doesn’t appear to be about lifestyle choices or transgender qualities in a person, it reads more like it’s a “Trend” thing. I fucking hate trendsetting.

The article is sensationalism.

The interesting question is that of the age at which gender becomes set. For all we know, puberty may cause a re-evaluation.

Like you said

Your opinion has no basis when you have no clue what that family or that child was going through.

that is why i am not making a judgement just stateing my opinion.
OPINION
o·pin·ion (-pnyn)
n.
1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2. A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3. A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
4. The prevailing view: public opinion.
5. Law A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

JUDGMENT
judg·ment also judge·ment (jjmnt)
n.
1. The act or process of judging; the formation of an opinion after consideration or deliberation.
a. The mental ability to perceive and distinguish relationships; discernment: Fatigue may affect a pilot’s judgment of distances.
b. The capacity to form an opinion by distinguishing and evaluating: His judgment of fine music is impeccable.
c. The capacity to assess situations or circumstances and draw sound conclusions; good sense: She showed good judgment in saving her money. See Synonyms at reason.
3. An opinion or estimate formed after consideration or deliberation, especially a formal or authoritative decision: awaited the judgment of the umpire.
4. Law
a. A determination of a court of law; a judicial decision.
b. A court act creating or affirming an obligation, such as a debt.
c. A writ in witness of such an act.
5. An assertion of something believed.
6. A misfortune believed to be sent by God as punishment for sin.
7. Judgment The Last Judgment.

Making the statement “i think the parents are a little mad” fits more in the opinion definition then the judgement definition since i am not an expert in psycology and thus cannot create a considered decision.

and the reason im being fussy about this is that i hate being called judgemental, i have a policy of letting people live their lives whatever way they please aslong as it doesnt interfere with my life. However I do form opinions about what people do as Opinions help us all to govern our own lives.

And JAKS
This tabloid newspaper always makes everything thing sound trendsetting. then again that might just be my opinion!

Nemo.
You hit one of my reasons for thinking this decison odd, right on the head!

Actually, if you take a look at your definitions of ‘judging’ you’ll see that they strongly imply that you were required to make a judgment in order to come to an opinion.

Homeschooling’s not really a big thing here.

It seemed to me on reading this article, he has been going to school on a PINK scooter for awhile. so I would think his classmates were already aware of his desire.
After all he wasn’t forced to take a PINK scooter to school, he could have walked, nor was he forced to take a “Barbie” towel for swimming.
It is only in our fantasy stories are we Forced to wear a dress put our hair into pigtails (bunches). It sounds like whatever bullying has happened in the past hasn’t put him off. So I would think the situation has grown out of someone selling this story to the trash media.
I think he is rather brave to stand by his desire to be a girl, and to dress and behave accordingly.
I hope she has a happy life and the media and everyone else lets her get on with it.
And the rest of us get on with our fantasy.

I think that that wasn’t quite the point…

But you DO have stories that involve this kind of force re: The Babysitters.